Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huggs offered Kansas State job

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Huggs offered Kansas State job

Huggs in purple...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looks like Huggins was second choice to a buddy of mine from college.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb.../SPORTS&lead=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Here's a quote from Downey after Huggs new school was announced:

""I committed to the University of Cincinnati. I'm not planning on leaving," Downey said following the game but before the announcement of Cronin's hiring. "I'm not going to drop out of school, I'm still going go to school here and see everything plays out. I plan on staying here. I like Cincinnati, I love the people, I love the fans, they love me. I'm in the perfect spot. Why go somewhere where I have to prove myself again and try to fit in again? Right now, I'm still a Bearcat."

Downey said he hadn't even considered following former UC coach Bob Huggins to Kansas State. "I can't really answer that," he said. "As of right now, I'm going to see how it plays out and see who is the head coach at the University of Cincinnati."

That man is Cronin, who will have to quickly fill a roster.

"I hope whoever gets the job gets some people to play around me, because we're going to need a whole lot of help here next year," Downey said.
    In other UC threads, I have predicted dark ages for UC's basketball program. The way the administration has acted, deservedly so. But Downey's comments have given me a different thought.

Mayo and Walker to UC may be a good thing for both parties. UC's biggest need is bodies. Mayo and Walker are guaranteed not only starting spots but extended playing time. Your other incoming freshmen, while playing more than otherwise, will not be expected to carry an undue burden. Disaster in the Big East averted.

The two, plus Downey, gives the team an opportunity to at least be a bubble team for the NCAA tourney as they suprisingly were this year.

After the season, Mayo goes and Walker probably goes. Now you have Downey and the others as juniors, a crop of sophmores with a year under their belts and an incoming crop of freshmen using scholarships not given to any available body the year before. Mayo's and probably Walker's scholarships also could be used this year. You now have a normal spread of scholarships over years instead of the huge bump next year in search of bodies to fill out a team.

Mayo and Walker get exposure in an elite conference.

UC gets two bubble years until Downey's senior year. A senior point guard with junior and sophmore classes ready to finally make some noise in the Big East.

UC's administration could screw this up at a moment's notice.

I think Huggins could rival the Thad Five.

From Charlotte's "other" site....just, really, eye-rubbing, good, news, as it pertains to our newest assistant coach.
    The Greatest Recruiting Class Ever
    Apologies if this is the content of the Beasley sticky above.
    A few highlights...
    (Charlotte asst. Delonte) Hill was the lone reason that Michael Beasley � rated the No. 3 player in the class of 2007 and more recently named to the Parade All America second team � gave Charlotte a verbal commitment....Simply put, Beasley is not coming to Charlotte. Write it down, mark it in stone, copy and paste this sentence on every message board from here to Manhattan, Kansas.....He's heading to K � State with Hill. What's the draw? It's Beasley being part of what would be the greatest class ever signed. Ohio phenom O.J. Mayo, No. 1 rated player in the class of 2007, and his teammate Bill Walker, No. 2 rated player in 2007, are said to be shoe-ins to K � State now that Huggins is there.

The addition of Beasley would give K � State the greatest recruiting class ever. Not to mention the Cats are in serious contention for a few other top 30 prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'll believe Mayo and Walker will follow Huggins when they actually come out and say it htemselves, but not until. Personally, I don't see them going to Manhattan, Kansas. I'd loook for them to lace them up in Louisville.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'll believe Mayo and Walker will follow Huggins when they actually come out and say it htemselves, but not until. Personally, I don't see them going to Manhattan, Kansas. I'd loook for them to lace them up in Louisville.
    As I've told my K-State friends, once they get a look at downtown Manhattan, KS, they'll come running back east.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    As I've told my K-State friends, once they get a look at downtown Manhattan, KS, they'll come running back east.
    I dunno.

I've been to Manhattan (my uncle is a KSU alum) and I have been to Lawrence (my brother is a KU alum) and I didn't see much difference, yet KU has managed to land more than their share of McDonalds HS all americans over the years. If Huggins can convince those guys that KSU is the place where they can maximize their NBA draft stock, they'll be there.

Mayo/Walker are both very focused on the next level, and IMO they would gladly go play in Alaska if they felt it would help their draft status.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Huggs in purple...

If you start singing we'll have words
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    I dunno.

I've been to Manhattan (my uncle is a KSU alum) and I have been to Lawrence (my brother is a KU alum) and I didn't see much difference, yet KU has managed to land more than their share of McDonalds HS all americans over the years. If Huggins can convince those guys that KSU is the place where they can maximize their NBA draft stock, they'll be there.
    I think the big difference between Lawrence and Manhattan - besides the tradition at KU - is that Lawrence is about an hour away from K.C. and Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere. K.C. may not be the most hopping town in the world but to 18-19 year old kids in Kansas, it's New York City.

I don't think it's really a matter of maximizing their draft stock - especially with O.J. since if he were eligible, he'd be selected right now. No matter where they go they are going to be on TV about as much as Duke is now. So it's probably more along the lines of a place (or with a coach) they would be comfortable with for a year or so. Perhaps they may be suceptible to "incentives" as well and that may enter into play. Who knows with teenagers? They could change their minds a hundred times between now and LOI day.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Lawrence is about an hour away from K.C. and Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere.
    Manhattan is 80 miles due west of Lawrence. Driving in the wide open spaces of central Kansas, you can chew that distance up in an hour easy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Manhattan is 80 miles due west of Lawrence. Driving in the wide open spaces of central Kansas, you can chew that distance up in an hour easy.
    Yes, but two hours to KC and two hours back doesn't leave you much time to party if you're on a curfew.

Plus, there's a vast difference between the KU and K-State basketball programs, both currently and historically.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Plus, there's a vast difference between the KU and K-State basketball programs, both currently and historically.
    That depends on how far back your memory stretches.

KSU is pretty much a carbon copy of UC in terms of history. They were a national powerhouse in the 50s and 60s and slowly fell into the background over the last 40 years. If Huggins can revive their program, you will start to hear all kinds of things about the great history and tradition of KSU hoops, just like you heard when he revived the UC program. Sure, people will scoff now, but they did the same thing when you mentioned UC's storied history back in the 1980s. A few years of winning will go a long way towards restoring the memories of KSU's glory years.

Huggins is apparently bringing in an assistant coach from Charlotte who was instrumental in getting a verbal from Oak Hill's Michael Beasley.

Scout.com has him ranked no 2 in the nation and Rivals.com has him at no 3. Actually, Rivals has Mayo, Walker, and Beasley as 1-3.

If Huggins pulls this off and adds a couple more to round it out, this recruiting class will make the Thad Five look like childs play.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?