Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What if?

What if?

What if Claussen and Harang continue to improve?
    What if Arroyo gives us what he gave Boston last year?
    What if Milton's ST appearance is legit and he gives us an ERA under 5.00?
    What if the offense repeats its league leading performance from last year?
    What if Coffey and Wagner get their stuff together and become real relievers?
    What if Womack is released and Freel starts 120 games at 2B?
    What if Junior stays healthy and starts 140 games in CF?
    What if Austin Kearns gets back the swing that Fat Toad smushed?
    What if Encarnacion becomes more consistent on both sides of the ball?

So... what if everything goes as good as one could reasonably expect?
    Where does that put us?

I look at all of that, pretend everything goes well and nothing big goes wrong, and still don't see us winning more than 88-90 games -- and that's that 1% chance we saw in the sims. Now I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but I'm curious what Krivsky's plan for this next offseason is. Right now, we just don't have the talent to get it done -- even best case scenario. Help from the minors is 2 years away at best. Purse string can't open up significantly until attendence does.

Though Krvisky seems to have a much better grasp on utilizing resources at the major league level than O'Brien did, we still have a major talent deficit that needs to be addressed. Are we stuck until (and if) Bailey, Wood, etc. arrive? Thoughts?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What if?

If all of those things happen, then I think we will be a .500 team, or close to it. And if we are able to get Penny for LaRue (rumors say that we may do that trade), then I think we will be even better.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Why stop there?

What if Dunn wins the batting title?

What if Freel breaks Ricky Henderson's SB record?

What if Mario Soto comes out of retirement and wins 20 games?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Why stop there?

C'mon Johnny... none of those things individually is a big stretch. But Soto winning 20 games -- I gotta believe he'd be in the 15-16 range...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    What if Claussen and Harang continue to improve? Probably won't improve because I think they pitched to their best ability last year
    What if Arroyo gives us what he gave Boston last year? He very well could
    What if Milton's ST appearance is legit and he gives us an ERA under 5.00? Very reasonable
    What if the offense repeats its league leading performance from last year? Not so likely, but they will be good for sure
    What if Coffey and Wagner get their stuff together and become real relievers? I got dibs on Coffey, not so sure about wags
    What if Womack is released and Freel starts 120 games at 2B? This is where you go wrong, TW is not getting released, and Freel starting at 2nd doesn't do us any better
    What if Junior stays healthy and starts 140 games in CF? This is where Ryan Freel should be if ego's didn't dominate baseball, Jr. in left, AK if right, dunn at 1st, hatteberg picking splinters til the 9th spot comes up in the 8th
    What if Austin Kearns gets back the swing that Fat Toad smushed? Never gonna happen in my opinion (bc he was ridiculous that first month and a half) but hopefully a .800 ops guys with decent numbers
    What if Encarnacion becomes more consistent on both sides of the ball? I feel this is in the making, can't wait for the numbers to actually count

Where does this put us? Above .500 I say, if we get Penny for LaRue, then I really like us. But come on pitching, pull us through!

What if...? Serious Wild Card contention.

That's how close (or far) the Reds are.

IMO, for the Reds to contend, at least 8/9 of those things need to happend AND other teams in our division or in the Wild Card race need to catch some injuries/bad breaks.

C'mon Johnny... none of those things individually is a big stretch. But Soto winning 20 games -- I gotta believe he'd be in the 15-16 range...
    Don't be afraid to dream, RMR.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Why stop there?

"What if God were one of us?"

(Try getting it out of your head now. : )
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by VI_RedsFan
    If all of those things happen, then I think we will be a .500 team, or close to it.
    We proved last year that with quality starts comes a record well above .500. To say that translates into 90+ wins over the entire course of this season is probably a stretch, but I'd also say that projecting 81 wins at best might be understating things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee

Dangit Yachtzee... :runawaycr

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee

Dang it. Thanks a lot.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I'd say that puts the Reds right in line for a WC spot.

I don't see JR playing 140. 120 I would be happy with.

Turn Off Ads?