Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouts impressed with Milton. Now trade him.

Scouts impressed with Milton. Now trade him.

Scouts are impressed, now offer him up for a prospect. Get that salary off the books and free up some room to make a run at a FA pitcher next offseason.

Scouts on Milton

Scouts Row was bedazzled by what they saw in Hammond Stadium Wednesday night from Reds lefthander Eric Milton — five innings, one run, three hits, no walks, six strikeouts.

"Looked like a 20-game winner," said one American League scout.

"Phenomenal," said another AL scout. "I had to take my hat off to what I saw."

"All the scouts who said they didn't like him last year sure like him now," said a National League scout.

Another scout, also in attendance, preferred to talk about bullpenners Matt Belisle and Todd Coffey and said, "Those two impress me with their arms, their stuff and their control." Rotation alignment

As of this moment, barring injuries or natural disasters, manager Jerry Narron has his rotation aligned this way: Righthander Aaron Harang on Opening Day, righthander Bronson Arroyo in Game 2, followed by lefthanders Brandon Claussen, Eric Milton and Dave Williams.

Aaron is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in three starts, Claussen is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in four starts, Milton is 1-1 with a 7.94 ERA in two starts, Williams is 1-2 with a 7.20 in four starts and a relief appearance. Arroyo makes his first Cincinnati start Saturday and was 1-2 with a 10.03 ERA in four starts for the Red Sox.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scouts impressed with Milton. Now trade him.

If what the scouts say is true (that's he's turned a corner and will be much improved), maybe it would be better to hold him to the deadline instead of discarding him for a bucket of balls. IMO, this team needs an influx of prospects more than it needs payflex.

Of course, I don't know the truth at this point. Last season, IIRC, Milton had 3-4 good starts, so the game they are refering to might be an isolated incident (if that's the case, I agree, dump him now)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

When I close my eyes and try to think of which organization might be dumb enough, rich enough and/or desperate enough to trade for Eric Milton, I envision the Yankees. Seriously, if Pavano doesn't come back from injury and faced with having to give 30 starts to Jaret Wright and/or Aaron Small, I could see this happening, especially if the Tampa faction again starts meddling in the player personnel affairs.

Just a thought while the sap is running ...

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    If what the scouts say is true (that's he's turned a corner and will be much improved), maybe it would be better to hold him to the deadline instead of discarding him for a bucket of balls. IMO, this team needs an influx of prospects more than it needs payflex.

Of course, I don't know the truth at this point. Last season, IIRC, Milton had 3-4 good starts, so the game they are refering to might be an isolated incident (if that's the case, I agree, dump him now)
    IMO, you trade him now. Don't give him a chance to go out and suck again. The best you are going to get out of Milton is probably an ERA in the 4.60 to 4.80 range anyway.

IMO, you trade him now. Don't give him a chance to go out and suck again. The best you are going to get out of Milton is probably an ERA in the 4.60 to 4.80 range anyway.

Every Gm in the MLB will be saying that to Wayne K, when he offers Milton to any team including the Yankees, nobody is going to take a chance on him until they see him consistently pitching well. Face it whether we like it or not Milton will be with us.

as I said earlier in the week: he'll do a lot better. Pitchers often regress to the mean.

now, find a middle glove, haul Jr to first base, and most of all work on that closer problem
    Last edited by princeton; 03-24-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    IMO, you trade him now. Don't give him a chance to go out and suck again.
    Scouts can be "excited" all they want, but as it stands right Eric Milton's major leage ERA is right where it left off at the beginning of last October. When it comes down to a deal, spring training will not be enough to convince anyone to take him for anything remotely worthwhile.

This article was in the Dayton Daily News...sometimes I wonder if these aren't meant to pump up Reds fans rather than having any real value in the baseball world. I could probably go out on the street right now, show them a video of Milton's last start and get them to say he's phenomenal, but it doesn't really mean anything.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

In my opinion, after what we saw on tv the other night and what the scouts at the game were saying about him, now is not the time to trade Milton! Let's see if he can put together a strong first half. There's a chance he could come out of the gate very strong. Let's ride that for awhile, and unless we're in contention, then trade him for higher value.

I don't see the harm in letting Milton pitch for the reds for a few months. His value isn't going to drop much more than it is right now, and if he manages to pitch effectively, we might actually get something of value. I prefer giving a player away for nothing if other alternatives are available.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I guess this is what is most maddening about these boards since I've joined. If, in fact, Milton has turned a corner, then lets ride that all the way. We signed him to be an effective pitcher and if is now an effective (i.e. winning) pitcher, why on earth would we want to eliminate what we needed in the first place? I hope he's a blasted 17 game winner, as Kent Mercker suggested. I'll dance in the streets if he's that and I don't want him pitching elsewhere if he's going to be successful. The hating on Milton gets a little old around here, IMHO.

Do you think Ernest Borgnine got back on the U.S.S. Poseidon once he got off it?

Milton began to bleed velocity after a single inning when he should have been fresh as a daisy. Much ado about nothing, IMO.

If someone's stupid enough to trade for him, then I'd make him theirs. First patsy who asked could have him for nothing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    I guess this is what is most maddening about these boards since I've joined. If, in fact, Milton has turned a corner, then lets ride that all the way. We signed him to be an effective pitcher and if is now an effective (i.e. winning) pitcher, why on earth would we want to eliminate what we needed in the first place? I hope he's a blasted 17 game winner, as Kent Mercker suggested. I'll dance in the streets if he's that and I don't want him pitching elsewhere if he's going to be successful. The hating on Milton gets a little old around here, IMHO.

I think the point is that if Milton can string together enough good starts to garner interest, then the Reds should unload him before he tanks again. Even if Milton pitches to career norms, he's still a below average pitcher. If he can pitch well enough to force a few GMs to come calling, Krivsky should send him packing. The Reds need an influx of young talent more than they need a below average SP making over $8M per year.

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but if he pitches well I keep him. I think it's going to take more than one start for teams to be knocking down the door to try and get him.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Even if Milton ends up being terrible this year, as I'm sure he will, this article at least allows me to envision a scenario where the Reds finish over .500.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I think the point is that if Milton can string together enough good starts to garner interest, then the Reds should unload him before he tanks again. Even if Milton pitches to career norms, he's still a below average pitcher. If he can pitch well enough to force a few GMs to come calling, Krivsky should send him packing. The Reds need an influx of young talent more than they need a below average SP making over $8M per year.
    And never in the history of baseball has there been a pitcher who became a better pitcher and remained so? If he's gotten it together in the way he pitched the other night (and I acknowledge that is a big "if"), I'd like to be able to have that New & Improved guy on our squad. I'm placing caveats there, but I'd like to hope we've gotten the good pitcher now.

I do understand what you're saying in your comments though.

Turn Off Ads?