Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Digital camcorder advice

Digital camcorder advice

The wife and I are in the market for a new digitial camcorder. We're not really sure if we want MiniDV or DVD. I do want one with an optional microphone and with fast transfer to the PC (is USB 2.0 fast enough?). We're Sony folks, but we could be convinced to get a different brand. $600 is probably the absolute limit I could talk my wife into spending.

I've checked reviews on Consumer Reports and CNet. Any advice from RedsZone?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Digital camcorder advice

First off I do not consider myself an expert in anyway and it is always good to take the information and research. Also I really don't have any input on a particular model, just providing a little tech info.

I guess this all just comes down to what you plan on using for. If you just want to shoot video and then watch it or mail it out to someone then dvd discs are the most simple. However if you are looking to download the video to a computer then edit it and burn dvds then dv (minidv) is probably better quality and easier to edit. This is because dvd camcorders use a higher compression rate (mpeg2), however this is the standard format for digital tvs and the like, also hard drive based camcorders employ this compression technique. Also keep in mind if you are editing the video make sure your computer has the memory to handle it, roughly 1gb to 5 min of video using dv.

Transfer rate while usb 2.0 has faster raw speed than firewire, 480mbs to 400mbs respectivly, the architecture and the way the information is handled makes firewire over all faster.

Hope this helps if it doesn't make since or if you need more elaboration just let me know and I will try and break it down some more.

NCR

Turn Off Ads?