Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged Threads: Reds are shopping Jason Larue

Merged Threads: Reds are shopping Jason Larue

I was reading another board and saw that someone said their are hot rumors going around in Sarasota of a possible Jason LaRue for Brad Penny deal. He also went on the say that Ryan Freel is being showcased to other teams. Is anyone hearing anything on this? Big Donkey or maybe someone with inside connections?

Jason LaRue is one of the favorite players, but if Krivsky is able to land a young power such as Penny then I would probably have to pull the trigger. I would also lobby for Hee Seop Choi to be thrown into the deal.

As for Freel, same situation as LaRue - I love him as a baseball player, but if the Marlins are looking for a speedy leadoff type outfielder, and if I am Wayne Krivsky, I offer up Freel and a prospect for Scott Olsen. Freel and a Dickerson or Denorfia should be enough.

If Krivsky could pull off these two deals, in my opinion it makes the Reds a pretty damn good team. Not good enough to win the NL Central but enough to at least make a run at the NL Wildcard.

SS Lopez
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dunn
    CF Griffey Jr.
    RF Kearns
    1B Choi
    2B Aurilia
    C Valentin

Aaron Harang
    Brad Penny
    Brandon Claussen
    Bronson Arroyo
    Scott Olsen

I don't like Aurilia in the lineup but what can you do, other than trade for a better 2B?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone hearing anything on a potential LaRue trade?

OK, I just had an idea for second base. Since there is a chance the Indians make place Brandon Phillips on waivers, offer the Indians a prospect for him. He brings good defense to the table and still has some potential in his bat.

I'm talking to myself.

Too many catchers

The acquisition of catcher David Ross leaves the Reds' roster overstuffed with catchers — four on the 40-man roster — Jason LaRue, Javier Valentin, Dane Sardinha and Ross. And all four are out of options.

What's up with that?

"Two are on the team for sure (LaRue, Valentin)," said GM Krivsky. Before Wednesday's game, Narron said he was leaning toward keeping 12 pitchers, but Krivsky said, "We could go with 11. We could go with three catchers."

That means they'd lose one for sure, probably Sardinha, the team's No. 2 draft choice in 2000.

Perhaps there is a trade in the wind? Krivsky smiled with a glint and said, "We'll see how it plays out."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    That means they'd lose one for sure, probably Sardinha, the team's No. 2 draft choice in 2000.
    And we traded the No. 1 away a few years ago in a dud trade (what was his name???). I think both of those guys and Bowden did themselves a disservice by signing to ML contracts. It's forced the Reds to carry them on the 40 man roster the entire time. Now they're out of time. Of course, I think Sardinha has shown that he's not very likely to be a hitter at the Major League level. Any value on a ML roster will be as a backup. Another bust for the system.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    And we traded the No. 1 away a few years ago in a dud trade (what was his name???). I think both of those guys and Bowden did themselves a disservice by signing to ML contracts. It's forced the Reds to carry them on the 40 man roster the entire time. Now they're out of time. Of course, I think Sardinha has shown that he's not very likely to be a hitter at the Major League level. Any value on a ML roster will be as a backup. Another bust for the system.
    Brian Moehler.

The third of the big three, Dustin Moseley, was traded for Ramon Ortiz.

Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think Sardhina goes to BOS for Van Buren, or Ross could be going to BOS.

If a Penny / LaRue trade is on the table, I'd take it. I'd like to get Choi as well, but not sure what else we'd have to throw in the deal. I'd certainly have no problems throwing in Elizardo or Germano to get Choi.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I don't know if we can get Olsen for Freel and prospect, unless that prospect is a good prospect (isn't that contradictory in the Reds organization?). I just can't see it from what the Marlins have done. I mean, Freel is cheap, but a combo of Freel and Denorfia just don't seem enough to me for a young cheap, pitcher. But there's always TINSAPP too, so.... If the Marlins would do that deal, it would be great for the Reds. Also, maybe a Nolasco for Freel straight up trade. That wouldn't be too bad for either team IMO.

I would think about one trade for it all. I think I've mentioned this one before, but I like a trade to the Dodgers for Penny, Choi, Orenduff, Ruggiano for Larue, Freel, Mercker/Weathers, and maybe a Germano/Elizardo if it is required. I think it is a win win. The Dodgers get a good catcher, a much needed multi-purpose OF (which they'll need), and bullpen help. The Reds get back one good pitcher, another potential starter, a 1B that the Dodgers are going to get rid of anyway.

Take this for what it's worth but LaRue is going to catch Arroyo on Saturday because they want him to be familiar with his stuff ASAP. I'd say that from that statement, Jason isn't going to be traded but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The only thing that would worry me about Brad Penny is his past arm related issues.

I'd be real interested in hearing from one of our sources to see if anything is actually being discussed in this regard.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Can he be stopped?

LaRue catching Harang and Arroyo is one of two things...

1) Jason getting comfortable w/ Bronson and Aaron ---> Trade Javy? Wise fills in the left-handed role and he's been scorching... and has more utility.

or

2) Jason trying out for WayneK to see if he is really as good w/ pitchers as he says he is.... to see if they should keep or trade him.

i could live with a Brad Penny - i think the most homers he's given up in a season is 21. some of our other guys could give that many up in a month.

I wouldn't mind a Penny-for-LaRue deal and wouldn't mind expanding it to include some of the Dodger farmsystem bounty or other young talent (think they'd kick in Antonio Perez for Tony Womack? ).

If we do deal Jason its time to get serious about getting a couple of solid all-round young catchers into the system for the futue either by the draft or trade (maybe the Dodgers would kick in Martin or Navarro also ).

I'm sorry, but Valentine, Ross, Sardinha and Perez just don't get it longterm for me.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 03-23-2006 at 12:09 PM.

If the Reds are dealing with the Dodgers, I'd much rather get a prospect like Orenduff than Penny. Penny's got healty issues I wouldn't want to have to manage.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

jowica

I think its going to be LaRue traded, thus making Valentin the everday catcher. I say this because Krivsky is familiar with Javier as he was a former prospect in the Twins organization. He was a rising star with the Twins and saw playing time at 21 years of age. His departure from the Twins organization came about due to unfulfilled potential and with the signing of highly touted Joe Mauer. Valentin's potential was finally realized in 2005.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by jowica
    I think its going to be LaRue traded, thus making Valentin the everday catcher. I say this because Krivsky is familiar with Javier as he was a former prospect in the Twins organization. He was a rising star with the Twins and saw playing time at 21 years of age. His departure from the Twins organization came about due to unfulfilled potential and with the signing of highly touted Joe Mauer. Valentin's potential was finally realized in 2005.
    Mustache Envy?

Turn Off Ads?