Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pena traded for Arroyo

Re: Pena traded for Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I'm very ambivalent. It only helps if they put Freel in center and move Jr to left or put Freel at 2B and put Denorfia in CF.
    I'm convinced that Womack is going to be handed an everyday job come Opening Day, so i like the idea of penciling in Freel in CF and moving Jr. to a corner spot. Has Jr. gone on record one way or the other as to whether or not he would accept a move?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Clement was on the table and the Reds walked away with Arroyo, Krivsky should be lynched.

As it is, Arroyo is a junkballer with flyball tendencies who forgot how to strike batters out last season. He only struck out 100 batters in 205 innings last season. That's not a recipe for "cautious optimism"; it's a recipe for disaster.

How are the Reds worse for this move?
    They traded away a decent commodity for absolute junk, that's how.

This trade makes me sick.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-15-2013),reds44 (08-15-2013)

I'm torn on this trade. I don't think Pena was as good as some had him pegged as, but I don't think Arroyo is really anything to write home about either.

i'm sad to see wmp leave the team this year...i was looking forward to a big year from him...that said, at least we got some "decent" pitching in return...we weren't going to win with what we had, so at least we're making some changes...i realize change for the sake of making changes isn't a winning attitude, but i'm willing to accept baby steps...

I believe Mo Pena brought a lot of balance to the lineup. Pitchers at least have to respect his ability to put one "out" at any time. I just do not think that they can replace that with anyone on the roster or anyone in the system.

This team had better figure out that the young talent that virtually comes up through the sytsem, is the talent that you want to keep around. How many teams out there trade this type of player? Eventually this trade will come down to what we get out of Arroyo, chances are after a season or a season and a half at the GAB it will be considerably less than a Mo Pena.

I'm with Johnny. Good organizations don't flip Pena talent for Bronson Arroyo garbage. This reeks of Jerry and the boys basically throwing Pena away because he isn't "scrappy" enough. I hate saying that, but it's absurd.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

9. Likes:

reds44 (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    They traded away a decent commodity for absolute junk, that's how.

This trade makes me sick.
    Arroyo isn't absolute junk--he had a very respectable HR total last year (22), he pitched well on the road, and a 4.5 ERA in a hitter-friendly AL park is not bad. He's not a number one ace, but Pena wasn't a top-tier outfielder. I'd argue that at this stage in their respective careers, Arroyo is as decent a commodity as Pena is. We simply traded an average OFer for an average starter, and this team needs pitching more than anything else. Thus, I don't see how the Reds got "worse" with this deal.

Like all trades, you have to give this a chance. But the Reds have traded Casey and Pena for two pitchers with questionable stuff. I hope it works out, but can't be too happy about it.

I guess Krivsky didn't think WMP would overcome his hitting tendencies, lots of strikeouts on bad pitches, trouble hitting breaking pitches off the plate. Hope he's right, or Reds just gave up a big time power hitter.

Of course, Pena does belong in the AL because he cannot field at all. On the other hand, you have to wonder whether the Sox will play him regularly. Pena is a terrible bench player and would thrive, I think, with a team that can afford to just leave him out there every day.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    How are they better?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Arroyo isn't absolute junk--he had a very respectable HR total last year (22), he pitched well on the road, and a 4.5 ERA in a hitter-friendly AL park is not bad. He's not a number one ace, but Pena wasn't a top-tier outfielder. I'd argue that at this stage in their respective careers, Arroyo is as decent a commodity as Pena is.
    I find it VERY hard to believe that Bronson frickin Arroyo is the best you could get for Pena. Maybe the Reds just helped torpedo his worth by bashing him any chance they could get in the papers.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

14. Likes:

reds44 (08-15-2013)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I must be one of the few that likes this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    How are they better?
    They received a starting pitcher who is easily the third-best on the team. The Reds have offense to spare, but their pitching staff is running on fumes. This deal is a bust for the Reds if Arroyo pulls a Milton and WMP hits 40 HRs and learns how to catch a fly ball. The people decrying this trade are doing so out of WMP's speculative value, and out of a belief that Arroyo will become exponentially worse than he was in Boston last year.

Dunn, Junior, Lopez, Encarnacion, Freel and LaRue will provide plenty of offense for this team. The starting pitching needed a boost, and this trade provides it.

It's true. WMP is always referred to as going to have a break out year. Other than at the plate, and only sometimes, he was a less than average outfielder. The Arroyo trade is just another pitcher for what ever that's worth. For years now we've needed two good aces on the mound and haven't had one. Time will tell, but for now it's a little better to have another decent pitcher than an extra decent outfielder.

Bottom line. This is the chance to improve the defense now. Get Denorfia in there. DO NOT START WOMACK AND HATTEBERG....PLEASE?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I find it VERY hard to believe that Bronson frickin Arroyo is the best you could get for Pena. Maybe the Reds just helped torpedo his worth by bashing him any chance they could get in the papers.
    What do you believe would be fair value for a player of Pena's stature?

Turn Off Ads?