Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Pena traded for Arroyo

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Pena traded for Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I think it is pretty clear. The answer is panic. They saw a staff crumbling before the eyes and Krivsky felt like he had to do something, even if it doesn't further any long term plan.
    Germano and Gosling can do that to you, I guess.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it is pretty clear. The answer is panic. They saw a staff crumbling before the eyes and Krivsky felt like he had to do something, even if it doesn't further any long term plan.
    I think they needed more professional at bats from Scott Hatteberg type players. I'm sorry to say that.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Panic it should be.

Since 2000 the Reds have had 2 pitchers with 200 IP in a season.

The Cardinals 12, Astros 12, Braves 13, Cubs 12, Brewers 7, Pirates 3.

Note the trend.

Just got done reading SOSH.com - Red Sox message board.

Two biggest words I read - "May" "potential"

Just sayin...
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Carlos Pena vs Hatteberg

Narron complemented Hatteberg on the way he "works the pitchers". Pena saw more pitches per plate appearance last year. Pena OPS was .802. Hatteberg was .677

In addition Pena has decent power and GABP could be expected to provide a nice spike whereas Hatteberg with his lack of pop should expect little benefit. In addition Pena has always been considered a quality fielder(although the defensive metrics don't really show it).

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He's too expensive, 3 mill a year.
    no big deal. They still have all that Casey payflex.

Carlos Pena seems like one of those type players that could thrive in GABP being the left-handed type. Plus, he's got a decent glove. Also, WayneK said that when he first signed Hatteburg, that he was their for backup and an occasional start. Now with WMP gone, WayneK is using Hatteburg as a stop-gap (MY OPINION). Plus, Carlos Pena is like a Doug Mientkiewicz with a little more power. Wayne seemed to like Mr. M.

If DanO was still in Cincinnati - I'd bet the ranch that Pena would have been here on the first plane after he got released. That's because he drafted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    WayneK is using Hatteburg as a stop-gap (MY OPINION). Plus, he's a Doug Mientkiewicz with a little more power.
    definitely not. DM was a solid defensive 1B. Hatteberg is very poor.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Arroyo is under contract for 3 additional years at a very reasonable dollar figure.

How is this not furthering a long-term plan? The possibility exists that the Reds could open the 2008 season with Harang, Claussen, Arroyo, and Bailey all in the rotation -- and then you're just one FA signing away from having, for the first time in REALLY long time, a pitching staff that doesn't make you immediately preface comments with "Well, the offense should..."

I'd actually go so far as to say the exact opposite: kepeing Wily Mo Pena would do nothing to further the long-term plan. That's the kind of "Status Quo" thinking that was symptomatic of this franchise's gunshy approach to player development and transactions. It was an organization paralyzed by indecision and inaction and a failure to recognize shortcomings and take pro-active steps to remedying problems.

We'll all just have to wait and see what happens. Personally, I'm leaning towards the camp that feels this is the best return the Reds could've expected to get for Pena.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

definitely not. DM was a solid defensive 1B. Hatteberg is very poor.
    Sorry - My Bad - I was comparing Carlos Pena to DM.

I'll re-edit.

Reds and 26.2's

How ironic.

The Reds need a first baseman.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig
    How ironic.

Apparently Krivsky just called Pirates GM Dave Littlefield to inform him that Dan O'Brien had his fingers crossed when he made the Casey-Williams trade.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig
    How ironic.

They only think they do..they have one but they insist on moving him back to LF
    Go Gators!

Reds and 26.2's

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Apparently Krivsky just called Pirates GM Dave Littlefield to inform him that Dan O'Brien had has fingers crossed when he made the Casey-Williams trade.

i like Wily Mo, and am quite sad to see him go - in fact, i would consider him one of my favorites.
    but at least it is an attempt to improve the ballclub where it is glaringly weak.
    and, the traade is pretty much done and over, and no amount of crying i do will change that.

Turn Off Ads?