Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pena traded for Arroyo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pena traded for Arroyo

Pena is a Red Sox. Arroyo is now a Red. It's official.

Re: Good morning.

Where are you getting your info? I see nothing on ESPN, CBS.Sportsline or either of the team websites.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Good morning.

I'm not finding this anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Re: Pena traded for Arroyo

Reds got ripped off.

Krivsky's first trade=F+

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-15-2013),bucksfan2 (08-15-2013),Caveat Emperor (08-15-2013),Patrick Bateman (08-15-2013),reds44 (08-15-2013)

I'm pretty sure Brooklynredz is a reliable early source on these types of things, just for future reference.

Just what we need--another flyball pitcher with low K totals. Everything about him sreams "average" to me--no complete games, average BB totals, low K totals, etc. He was able to keep the ball in the park significantly more than, say, Milton--and he pitched in a hitter's park, too, so that much is encouraging.

On the flipside, while I don't think Arroyo is this team's answer for its pitching needs, I think people have a serious tendency to overvalue WMP. He's got all the raw talent in the world, but unrefined talent is worthless. While i would have rather seen the reds get more of a groundball pitcher--or one with a higher K rate--a pitcher in the neighborhood of Arroyo is about where WMP's value currently sits.

At least the Reds answered one of their question marks in the rotation--and this perhaps also opens the possibility of Milton moving to the bullpen if he continues to remain ineffective as a starter.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I'm pretty sure Brooklynredz is a reliable early source on these types of things, just for future reference.
    Wasn't so much questioning Brooklyn, just didn't see it anywhere.

Yup Brooklyn's got cred.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Ugh. Not only do we get a 4.5 ERA pitcher, which is moderately better than what we had (though that IS in the AL), but the offense takes a BIG hit with Hatteberg a full-time starter now. I don't see them letting Denorfia start, so the whole Dunn to 1st was a sham? What gives?

Or was the FO all of a sudden terrified that they only have two major league starters in the rotation?!?

Ugh! I'm not surprised to see WMP traded but I was hopeing to get better pitching for him.

I was also looking forward to seeing an OF of WMP, JR and Kearnes. Worst part is that it looks like Hatteberg is now the starting first baseman.

Sigh!

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Ugh! I'm not surprised to see WMP traded but I was hopeing to get better pitching for him.

I was also looking forward to seeing an OF of WMP, JR and Kearnes. Worst part is that it looks like Hatteberg is now the starting first baseman.

Sigh!

Rem
    I wouldn't assume Hatteberg gets the vast majority of starts at first. At least I hope not. This does give the Reds more flexibility with Freel, however, and since he has been seeing alot of time in the outfield, this move gives him more playing time with Dunn at first half the time. You know Narron likes this, cause now he can ride the hot hand between Hatteberg and Freel and slot Richie Rich at second when Freel plays OF. I think we will see an equal rotation between Hatteberg, Rich, Freel, and Womack IMO - also depending on productivity.

I do wonder what Krivsky is thinking long term here, though. Where does he envision our outfield in the future. Denorfia - RF, Kearns - CF, Dunn - LF. All I can say is I hope he has a plan.

Do I like this trade? I like it for the short term because it does make our team better now, and measurably so. But like I said, Krivsky better have a plan.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Just when you thought it could not get any worse... It does.

At least you got to hand it Krivsky, it took a lot of sack to make this move. If Pena comtinues to develop consistently over the enxt few years, and Arroyo does what most pitchers do at the GAB then this could wind up as one of the worst trades in the last 15 years.

Edit: I have to admit that Arroya has grown on me during his time in Boston, but the Reds took a huge risk here. I can just envision Pena just mashing w/ the BoSox.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Red Smokey
    Just when you thought it could not get any worse... It does.
    How are the Reds worse for this move?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    How are the Reds worse for this move?
    They aren't. It is a good short term move if Krivsky has a strong long term plan.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Turn Off Ads?