Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Pena traded for Arroyo

Re: Pena traded for Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    They aren't. It is a good short term move if Krivsky has a strong long term plan.
    Brilliantly stated.

I like this move a lot.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Bronson Arroyo-National League Career

187 ip, 217 h, 23 hr, 85 bb, 111 k, 1.62 whip, 5.44 era
    Which tells us one thing--Pittsburgh rushed him or he got coached up in Boston.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'm back in "I don't care anymore" mode with the Reds. It's funny, we needed pitching, everybody knows that. I was hoping out of WMP or Kearns that WMP was the player we'd give up, but now that it has been done, I don't like it so much. I was hoping we'd get a pitcher like Arroyo along with a stud pitching prospect to stick in the rotation with Bailey and allow them to work through the minors together, dominating people. I realize now that we'll suck this year, and we're still "bridging the gap" before we'll be good. That's what this trade says to me.

I was hoping Krivsky would address both short term and long term concerns when he traded WMP or Kearns. Seems the long term has been ignored, again.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

A guy down the hall (and possibly my new boss) just walked into my office knowing I am a big Reds fan and said, Arroyo in Cincy has 7-15, 5.50 written all over it.

So its not just Reds fans who dont like this.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Arroyo is signed for 3 more years at less than $4M per year.

The more I think about it, the more it's absolutely clear that this was all about $$$$, and the cost certainty of Arroyo vs. Pena. And that's the best part of the trade.
    Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

The Reds seem to be willing to trade $$$ for talent.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If you like this move, you need to learn a little about strikeout rates and their ability to predict success.

You can't ignore that ridiculous drop in K rate he experienced last season. What caused it? Was he injured? Forgetful? Angry about Brad and Angelina?

Granted, if he returns to his prior K rate (over 7 Ks per 9 IP), I'll be okay with this deal. If he doesn't, Krivsky should be lynched.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

8. Likes:

reds44 (08-15-2013)

But Arroyo was traded in the middle of a LTC, and as a result, he can ask for a trade at the end of THIS YEAR. I'm hoping that he stays healthy and pitches well and that the Reds can flip him for more talent at the deadline.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

All you guys who don't like the deal, who do you think Wily Mo could have brought in a trade?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I was hoping we'd get a pitcher like Arroyo along with a stud pitching prospect
    Exactly who did you expect would give up that much for WMP? Someone who no longer has a GM job I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Oh and it's official according to Marc's blog: Dunn is going back to left with Hatteberg getting the majority of the playing time at first base.

Also, we are getting $1.5 million back from the Sox.
    Just shoot me now

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Question, since he signed a multi year deal, can he request a trade after the season, or was this waived by Arroyo?
    You have to reach the free-agency threshold before that becomes an option, so I've heard, and Arroyo won't be eligible for free agency until this contract ends.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    All you guys who don't like the deal, who do you think Wily Mo could have brought in a trade?
    That to me isn't the point. Why is Arroyo worth the risk of trading Pena now? Do you really care about winning 75 games instead of 65? I'd rather give Pena a chance for a big early start and then flip him for something that could help later this season. What's the big rush in going from extremely crappy to still very crappy?

And if Tony Womack and Hatteberg start this year I am literally at the lowest that I could ever get with this team. I'll wait and pray that Krivsky and Narron aren't that dumb.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

The Reds seem to be willing to trade $$$ for talent.
    It's about value. It doesn't matter what a guy gets paid, what matters is whether or not his production is commensurate with his value.

With WMP, he was similar to that start up company that was soon going to need another major capital infusion with the possible return on investment still in the high risk category, with the possibility of never getting a return.

But, at this stage, I can't see WMP's cost being a major factor in the decision, but I can see Arroyo's cost with the going rate for even average starters now about twice what he's getting being a major factor.

If I had to enter a season with the rotation I had, I'd be doing anything I could to upgrade it, also. I'm not sure why GABP is such a concern for numbers going through the roof for Arroyo. He held his own in Fenway for two seasons and excelled on the road. There is a good possibility his numbers could approach 2004 levels.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I think it's a pretty good deal.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Dunn going to LF and Hatteberg is 1b is an AWFUL, AWFUL decision. Krivsky and Narron have truly transformed this into a solid 6th place team and possibly even worse than the Marlins.

Turn Off Ads?