Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Pena traded for Arroyo

Re: Pena traded for Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I never believed Dunn would play first base. He has improved a lot in left field. After Narron came in, Dunn became more aggressive going after fly balls and base hits and he is now a semi-decent outfielder. I think it was always the plan to trade an outfielder, probably always the plan to trade WMP.

What troubles me is the Casey trade. If you were adding an Arroyo for WMP, why was it necessary to trade Casey for Williams? I can only see this as a salary dump. I hope I am wrong and Williams works out well.

I agree with other posters that part of the offensive problem is the apparent refusal to play Freel every day. I think this is a mistake. Indeed, I wouldn't mind a lineup of Freel, Womack, Lopez, Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, EE, Larue. That would require Dunn playing first. Yes, Lopez hitting third.

If Hatteberg has to play regularly, too bad Casey isn't around. Same type of hitter, just much better. I like Hatteberg as a backup with this team, not as a regular.

Finally, I would not be shocked if there are additional deals forthcoming. Hard to see Krivsky keeping Griffey's salary if Jr. is healthy and has value to bring young talent. Other than Dunn and Lopez, don't think anyone is too safe.

trading Jr. would be a mistake on Krivsky's part if he want to stay in good graces with Reds "fans." I'm all for it if you can get a decent return, with lots of pitching.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kc, I think it's fair to say that DanO didn't know that Krivsky would deal Pena for Arroyo at the time he pulled the Williams for Casey trigger.

Though I think this kicks the door wide open to moving Williams at this moment in time. I'd so test Tony LaRussa's stated man-love for Williams. Williams for Adam Wainwright. Cardinals get a lefty long man. Reds get a kid ready to play the Harang 2004/Claussen 2005 role.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Though I think this kicks the door wide open to moving Williams at this moment in time. I'd so test Tony LaRussa's stated man-love for Williams. Williams for Adam Wainwright. Cardinals get a lefty long man. Reds get a kid ready to play the Harang 2004/Claussen 2005 role.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Alright whose willing to spike his coffee with LSD before Wayne makes the call?

I don't characterize this deal as settling at all. Krivsky just landed a major league starter for a young player who's yet to establish himself. I understand that there's folks out there who are down on the starter and high on the young player, but I'd think that there should be some recognition that others are high on the starter and down on the young player.
    Granted, it's mostly about how you perceive Pena and Arroyo as players. I happen to think most people who are down on Pena feel that way because of the previous GM's impotence. They're so eager for action that they'll rationalize it by downplaying his talent and his potential. Those who are high on Arroyo ("high" is the operative word, IMO) seem to be rationalizing the deal by overestimating his abilities and his potential value to the team.

But to quote Dennis Miller, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I understand that there's folks out there who are down on the starter and high on the young player, but I'd think that there should be some recognition that others are high on the starter and down on the young player.
    Plus, it helps that the Reds went out and bought Bronson Arroyo when his value was down -- coming off a season where his peripherals were not to their previous level and where he had more people in front of him that were set to push him out of the rotation.

The Reds are buying low, which gives them an opportunity to come out ahead on this deal if Arroyo's numbers tick up and they find a pitching-desperate buyer at some future deadline.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The Reds are buying low.
    unless the Red Sox are

The Reds are buying low, which gives them an opportunity to come out ahead on this deal if Arroyo's numbers tick up and they find a pitching-desperate buyer at some future deadline.
    it seems like the potential upside people discuss of every trade we make is that someone will do well and can flipped for something else.

I am kinda partial to the idea of trading for someone we might want to keep for a while.

it seems like the potential upside people discuss of every trade we make is that someone will do well and can flipped for something else.
    That's what happens when most of your acquisitions are in the mediocre-to-slightly-above-mediocre range.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Plus, it helps that the Reds went out and bought Bronson Arroyo when his value was down -- coming off a season where his peripherals were not to their previous level and where he had more people in front of him that were set to push him out of the rotation.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Those who are high on Arroyo ("high" is the operative word, IMO) seem to be rationalizing the deal by overestimating his abilities and his potential value to the team.
    I don't see anyone forecasting tiny ERAs and huge wins for the guy. In fact I'd say most of the support I've read for him has been downright rational, namely that he could deliver 200 IP of solid pitching. Now, that might prove to be wrong when the season comes around, but given his track record and level of experience it's hardly an overestimation. Arroyo has shown some facility as a major league pitcher and he has worked himself up to the 200 IP plateau. I haven't read the trade thread on the other side of the board, so maybe there's some folks engaged in some expectations inflation over there.

As for rationalization, the normal Reds pitching rationalization we see is that the new pitcher will be better than the perpetrators he's replacing. As we've learned, that's usually not true. It's also my problem with Dave Williams. I don't expect him to be any different than if the Reds still had Ramon Ortiz around.

However, I do expect Arroyo to be able to deliver a solid season. He isn't going to win a Cy Young, but I do think you can hand him the ball 33 times and get generally good pitching out of him. I expect he'll finish with an ERA+ in the three digits and that he'll give the team something in the 200 IP neighborhood. As such, there's no rationalizations needed for that kind of pitching. It's what the Reds need and hot damn if that's actually what they get.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    and that's a problem because...
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    and that's a problem because...
    you never end up with someone worth keeping

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    you never end up with someone worth keeping
    I'm pretty sure that is implied with the suggestion. If not, it should be. Roster turnover is a necessity once you identify your cornerstone players and lock them up if you want to win consistently.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Williams for Adam Wainwright. Cardinals get a lefty long man. Reds get a kid ready to play the Harang 2004/Claussen 2005 role.
    M2,

Please don't scare me with commrnts like this.

I only wish the Cardinals would start the season with Wainwright in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    M2,

Please don't scare me with commrnts like this.

I only wish the Cardinals would start the season with Wainwright in the rotation.
    Your terror is my joy.

Plus, LaRussa likes vets and Jocketty likes trading for vets. I figure Wainwright is a goner one way or another at some point this season. There's no space for him in the rotation (why Jason Marquis hasn't been dealt I don't know) and if a young arm gets a shot, it'll be Reyes.

Turn Off Ads?