Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AP: Bonds to sue over book

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AP: Bonds to sue over book

Apparently Bonds is suing over "Game of Shadows." What a shock.

Re: AP: Bonds to sue over book

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Apparently Bonds is suing over "Game of Shadows." What a shock.
    Reclaiming his good name that has been soiled by this tragedy, no doubt.

Maybe he could get Giambi, Palmeiro, McGwire, and Sosa to go in on a class action.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

So, he's going to take the stand and open himself up to countless perjury charges? This could get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    So, he's going to take the stand and open himself up to countless perjury charges? This could get interesting.
    Exactly. Talk about a move almost sure to backfire.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He probably just wants a cut of the profits...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Bonds isnt filing suit for libel, he is suing to have the authors of the book turn over any profits they make. He isnt suing to clear his name, but rather to make a dollar.
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NG3OHSVC84.DTL

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3
    Bonds isnt filing suit for libel, he is suing to have the authors of the book turn over any profits they make. He isnt suing to clear his name, but rather to make a dollar.
    LOL -- I was kidding. I guess I was right...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3
    Are you freaking kidding me? Wow. I did not think it was possible for barry Bonds to make himself look worse than he already has.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Are you freaking kidding me? Wow. I did not think it was possible for barry Bonds to make himself look worse than he already has.
    Agreed, just when you thought Barry Bonds couldn't do any more damage to his reputation......
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

So Bonds doses with multiple chemical cocktails and then seeks to make money off it when someone exposes it? He's my hero.

I guess if your reputation is in the gutter, why not try to make money off of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I guess if your reputation is in the gutter, why not try to make money off of it.
    Pete Rose has been trying to get people to understand this type of reasoning for years.

To be fair (not that Bonds deserves it), there's probably a sound legal reason for this type of suit. My guess is that if Bonds sued for libel, the entire issue of whether he went on the juice would be on trial. He'd have to take the stand and insist he wasn't. The defendants would be presenting mountains of evidence that he was.

This is probably an attempt to narrow the focus of the suit.

IMO, this suit indicates just how weak Bonds' footing is at the moment. If MLB conducted a hasty investigation and banned him from the game I doubt he'd have a leg to stand on. Any challenge to that ruling would have to involve the commissioner's finding of fact that he'd played the game while using a host of illegal substances. Bonds has just all but sent up flare that he doesn't think he can win that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    To be fair (not that Bonds deserves it), there's probably a sound legal reason for this type of suit. My guess is that if Bonds sued for libel, the entire issue of whether he went on the juice would be on trial. He'd have to take the stand and insist he wasn't. The defendants would be presenting mountains of evidence that he was.

This is probably an attempt to narrow the focus of the suit.

IMO, this suit indicates just how weak Bonds' footing is at the moment. If MLB conducted a hasty investigation and banned him from the game I doubt he'd have a leg to stand on. Any challenge to that ruling would have to involve the commissioner's finding of fact that he'd played the game while using a host of illegal substances. Bonds has just all but sent up flare that he doesn't think he can win that fight.
    Bonds would never win in a million years on a libel suit. Truth is a complete defense. Additionally, being a public figure, Bonds would have to show that the reporters either a) KNEW that there assertions were false b) recklessly disregarded their falsity.

The chief problem with Bonds would that it would add major fuel to the fire - I would imagine they could admit a great deal of the Balco evidence (stuff we've only heard rumors about), doping schedules, anecdotal evidence - it would be extremely bad for Bonds.

If this thing actually goes to trial, could't the lawyers for the defense depose Bonds, get him on the stand and ask him all kinds of embarrassing questions? Like, Do you take steroids? Have you ever taken steroids? Things like that. If he tells the truth, it confirms what people have known all along. If he lies it opens him up to perjury charges.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?