Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gooden admits using cocaine, violating probation

Gooden admits using cocaine, violating probation

Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Former baseball star Dwight Gooden admitted in court Wednesday that he violated his probation by using cocaine and likely faces prison time when he is sentenced next month.

Did you know?
    Dwight Gooden was the youngest pitcher in baseball history to win the Cy Young Award when at the age of 20, he won the 1985 honor after going 24-4 with a 1.53 ERA for the Mets.
    He won 91 games before his 24th birthday, however injuries and substance-abuse problems derailed his once-promising career. He retired at age 35 after the 2000 season with 194 victories.

Dressed in an orange jail uniform and with family members looking on, the 41-year-old former pitcher answered "yes, sir," when state Circuit Judge Anthony K. Black asked him if he had violated his probation. He will remain in jail and faces up to five years in prison after a hearing April 5.

"We are seeking prison," prosecutor Pam Bondi said afterward, but it hasn't been determined how long of a sentence her office will request.

Gooden admitted to a probation officer last week that he had used cocaine. He was serving three years' probation for speeding away from a police officer during a drunken driving traffic stop last year.

In November he had apologized to the court when he pleaded guilty to a felony count of fleeing police, misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and obstruction and to an unrelated charge of hitting his girlfriend.

As part of his probation, Gooden was ordered to stay away from alcohol, drugs and bars, and submit to a minimum of three random urine tests a week. He also spent several months in an inpatient treatment facility for alcohol and drug addiction.

His attorney, Peter Hobson, declined to comment on Gooden's latest trouble.

"We're just going to prepare for the hearing in two weeks," he said. Gooden's family members also left court without commenting.

Gooden was the 1984 Rookie of the Year and 1985 NL Cy Young winner while with the New York Mets. He went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001. He also pitched for the New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

-20-

I think this guy, not Darryl Strawberry ironically, is the individual whom is in danger of losing his life to his addiction.

Did anyone here ever see him pitch? I think when he was young and with the mets, in the late to early 80s, I think he probably had as good of stuff as anyone in this game has. What a talent.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gooden admits using cocaine, violating probation

It's sad. When Doc broke in, he was well on his way to being a HoF candiadate with the kind of numbers he was putting up. It just shows if you're not ready for what the bright lights will put before you, you will certainly falter.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    It's sad. When Doc broke in, he was well on his way to being a HoF candiadate with the kind of numbers he was putting up. It just shows if you're not ready for what the bright lights will put before you, you will certainly falter.
    Something to remember before you start putting 19 year old kids in the big league starting rotation.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    Did anyone here ever see him pitch? I think when he was young and with the mets, in the late to early 80s, I think he probably had as good of stuff as anyone in this game has. What a talent.
    Yeah, it was really sad to see him lose it. The guy was definitely the most talented young guy I've ever seen. I thought for sure he was a lock for the HOF.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Any of you guys see him pitch in person?

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    Any of you guys see him pitch in person?
    When he was with the Indians. That doesn't really count though.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

He had a curveball that most only dream about. A true yakker of a pitch. Bert Blyleven good.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

anyone ever see him roll into river front when he was with the mets?

Turn Off Ads?