Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cronin named UC coach

Re: Cronin named UC coach

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Again- Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't care about? Disagree with me if you want. Don't try and tell me what to think.
    Easy there. Unless I'm misreading it, LoganBuck is expressing his opinion.

I don't see any telling someone to do something.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

"The sports teams and the president impact things that should account for less than 5% of your college experience, the rest of the stuff is what college is all about."

Should means something different to me and you then.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

If this guy was the recruiting director for Huggy Bear, then all that talk from NZ was a bunch of bull, and she should be ran out of town with nothing but the clothes on her back.

I liked Bob Huggins. Yes, he had questionable characters on his teams. He wanted to win ball games, and he did so, quite frequently.

So this new Prez. wants to "clean" things up a bit, fires him, but allows the hiring of the guy who got some of these players to Cincinnati?

Is the local press saying anything about this?

If not, they need to be running with this.

I HATE that woman. Yes, I said HATE. I HATE HER.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    "The sports teams and the president impact things that should account for less than 5% of your college experience, the rest of the stuff is what college is all about."

Should means something different to me and you then.
    Why do you go to college? The answer for 99% of people is to get a degree, build relationships that are both personal and professional in nature, experience new ideas and different points of view, to expands one's horizon, participate in a campus community and to immerse yourself in the campus culture either by group participation (sporting events, campus wide rallies, protests, marches, etc) or finding your niche and contributing what you can. A basketball team only has upwards of 18 homegames per year. Lasting about 3 hours total. So roughly 54 hours a year are spent at home basketball games. Assuming 160 instructional days in a year plus time spent on campus, that is a very small portion of the college experience.

And what does "AZ" mean?

I am not trying to get into a for or against UC and Nancy argument, and as a fan of UC basketball, I have followed the situation closely. I just don't understand how so many UC students and alumni, are so eager to spew venom at their school, because of a basketball team. I am not saying that disagreeing with school policy is bad, saying that Nancy Zimpher should be beaten or buildings on campus should be burnt, and that you hate your whole university is a completely different thing.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    So, maybe it was a good idea to be cracking down?
    The problem was he was trying to ban the sale of anything over a twelve pack around campus, and successfully lobbied the Columbus Police to ask beer distributors to get a name and address of where kegs were going. That way the police could come check your party. Then after all this went down and all these rules were put in place, then a member of Delta Tau Delta at OSU, Kirwin was a DTD from Maryland, dies of a overdose of GHB.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

As a current student at UC, I can tell you Nancy Zimpher is a clown. She handles the acedemic aspect of the college just as poorly as the athletic department. She has instituted changes that make no sense. She has cut back night classes, pretty well said that having a UC degree from before she came in means that it is inferior, and her hirings in administration has been questionable at best. You can't tell me she wasn't brought in to fire the people that the board members want fired, then leave town, so the board doesn't take the heat. She was a hired hand.

Now, back to the subject of Cronin being hired. I like this hiring personally. I think he is a good recruiter, and has shown the potential to be a great coach. But you have to wonder why they didn't go after a higher profile coach. Sure, Huggins was an unknown coming in, but the basketball program wasn't near what it is now. Besides, everyone pretty well knew this job was not AK's after he was not hired mid-season like he should have been. I believe if Andy was offered this job mid-season, he would have taken it. However, The situation worked out exactly as Zimpher hoped it would. The college didn't have to turn him down, he chose to go elsewhere, and I truley believe he chose Ole Miss over UC. He didn't want to come back to this hopeless job. UC has little to no chance of success for at least 2-3 years.

Finally, on another subject, I agree with fellow student who have posted on this topic. The handling of this situation severly impacts me at this college, but for different reasons. The life and success of this University depends on the success of its Basketball teams. Without the revenue from basketball, the donations by alumni, and the sales of merchandise, this University would lose Millions. Sure, they would still survive, but how about rises in tuition, how about the programs and equipment for studies at the University, its not free. Wether they will admidt it or not, alot of the money for the acedemic part of the university comes from Basketball. Right or wrong, thats the way it is.

I think Cronin is a great hire. I'm excited to see what he can do. He's a familiar name, a heck of a recruiter, and has the ability to heal some of the wounds this entire mess has caused.

LoganBuck, if athletics should only constitute 5% of the college experience, then why has Zimpher spent so much of her time (and the university's money) reconstructing the basketball program?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Wolfboy, I doubt Nancy has spent as much time on the basketball team as you think she has.

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Wolfboy, I doubt Nancy has spent as much time on the basketball team as you think she has.
    She's spent enough time to completely ruin it.......only to have to start all over again.....
    THE University of Cincinnati

University of Cincinnati

I am not trying to get into a for or against UC and Nancy argument, and as a fan of UC basketball, I have followed the situation closely. I just don't understand how so many UC students and alumni, are so eager to spew venom at their school, because of a basketball team. I am not saying that disagreeing with school policy is bad, saying that Nancy Zimpher should be beaten or buildings on campus should be burnt, and that you hate your whole university is a completely different thing.
    You must have not been here in Cincinnati for the past 16 years then i guess, when all we had to look forward to while the bengals have been down and the reds have been down for the most of the time was the Bearcats......
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quit crying over spilled milk, and support your university.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    If this guy was the recruiting director for Huggy Bear, then all that talk from NZ was a bunch of bull, and she should be ran out of town with nothing but the clothes on her back.

I liked Bob Huggins. Yes, he had questionable characters on his teams. He wanted to win ball games, and he did so, quite frequently.

So this new Prez. wants to "clean" things up a bit, fires him, but allows the hiring of the guy who got some of these players to Cincinnati?

Is the local press saying anything about this?

If not, they need to be running with this.

I HATE that woman. Yes, I said HATE. I HATE HER.
    Excellent points. I wondered the same thing. My guess is that either they believed Huggins had the final say on recruits - which I'm sure he did - and all Cronin did was get the players Huggins wanted him to get. A nice rationalization but probably not very realistic. Or they figured they would be getting Huggins-lite with Cronin. Someone who can get good players to come in and compete on the highest level without the presence of Huggins. Also it never hurts to bring in a local product.

The media is all aquiver about Cronin coming back since he was part of the old regime and he's a local boy. It is really not fair to question him since no players under Cronin have run afoul of the law yet. However, if the same stuff that happened under Huggins happens under Cronin and the university turns a blind eye, then there is a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I hate the way this situation was handled but I'll still support Cronin. He was the next best choice if they weren't going to give Andy a fair shot (talk about criminals...)

I didn't pay enough attention to what the administration does but I heard plenty of other complaints about Nancy's hiring/firing of other dept directors from classmates last spring. She's certainly making a name for herself.

As for the coaches, I plan on getting some K-State and Ole Miss gear. I don't consider Cronin a traitor because by leaving and going to work with Pitino is like a kid getting out of the family business and seeing what else is out there. Better to go have some experience elsewhere and return home. I think that is what it was all about. I just hope he's as good a recruiter as promised with Hugs there to back him up. Downey and McGowan are good solid players to reconstruct the team around.

That's pretty funny. I'm glad you are here to clear things up for the wayward UC fan.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Retired

The word is a few big time donors, as well as one very famous former player , finally stepped up after she veto'ed Kennedy as the next coach. It was seen as the last straw I guess. They pretty much told her they are tired of her act and she was going to hire Cronin.................or else.

Turn Off Ads?