Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Observation on one of Marty's comments...

Re: Observation on one of Marty's comments...

Thats ridiculous, Marty doesn't like anyone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

I think you ought to ask the question if it occurs to you, and we can kick it around, look at it from all sides, and figure it out.

If you ever heard Marty talk about Lee May or Tony Perez, you'd know he's not racist. I'd like to challenge him on what he said about Pena, but maybe he's right and all the sportswriters were just blowing smoke, or being spun by the coaches at the time. I'd sure like to reconcile the different stories.

I think it's really just Marty's version of what we talk a lot about here: the cult of scrappitology. In a way it makes sense that announcers, sportswriters and the casual fans would relate to the ballplayers who are easy to relate to... the affable little hustler like Kirby Puckett instead of the aloof talented star like Eddie Murray. As you can see, it's not about race, but it looks like that when a black player is the target. Sometimes a white player is the target, like Dunn, but nobody thinks of race.

Add to that Marty's general sourness these days, and the generational gap with the overpaid, hip-hip playing, headphone wearing, tattoo-getting punk kids from where ever they came from, and you can push some buttons.

Of course, most of this would go away if these guys were winning pennants. I try to remember that Marty's been watching even more of the same disappointing organization that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    Thats ridiculous, Marty doesn't like anyone.
    Well, except himself
    Go Gators!

Excellent post BCubb.
    Visit your local Psychiatrist, There may not be bugs crawling on you.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I think you ought to ask the question if it occurs to you, and we can kick it around, look at it from all sides, and figure it out.

If you ever heard Marty talk about Lee May or Tony Perez, you'd know he's not racist. I'd like to challenge him on what he said about Pena, but maybe he's right and all the sportswriters were just blowing smoke, or being spun by the coaches at the time. I'd sure like to reconcile the different stories.

I think it's really just Marty's version of what we talk a lot about here: the cult of scrappitology. In a way it makes sense that announcers, sportswriters and the casual fans would relate to the ballplayers who are easy to relate to... the affable little hustler like Kirby Puckett instead of the aloof talented star like Eddie Murray. As you can see, it's not about race, but it looks like that when a black player is the target. Sometimes a white player is the target, like Dunn, but nobody thinks of race.

Add to that Marty's general sourness these days, and the generational gap with the overpaid, hip-hip playing, headphone wearing, tattoo-getting punk kids from where ever they came from, and you can push some buttons.

Of course, most of this would go away if these guys were winning pennants. I try to remember that Marty's been watching even more of the same disappointing organization that we have.
    Well said BCubb,

However I'm sure there are many fans/ members of this board and thousands more that listen to every game on radio that have been around longer than Marty. (and He loves to throw that line out)

We all have been disappointed and down right angry at times. We debate line up construction, pitching moves and player trades. We have one thing in common.. We Care.

IMHO Reds Baseball is nothing more than a job to Marty nowdays. He could care less what happens on the field of play, as long as he has all the bennifets of the job.

At one time Marty was great .. not so anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    He could care less what happens on the field of play, as long as he has all the bennifets of the job.
    surely you don't believe that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

The hell I don't.

I heard the comments. Steve seemed to have Marty's back with the caller as well. You think, just maybe, they who follow the team every day may know things that we don't? I dunno, just a thought.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

But don't we all follow this team everyday?

I don't believe anyone on the board is privy to the things that Marty and Steve see, personally, on an everyday basis.

Marty has his pet favorites players and guys he likes to pick on.

Willy Mo got in the doghouse years ago because he made some errors and struck out.

Felipe was perpetually in Marty's doghouse until he started putting up all star numbers, for a similiar reason (K's, defensive lapses).

Marty does not base it on race, but it's hard to change Marty's first impression of someone
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Marty does not base it on race, but it's hard to change Marty's first impression of someone
    Yep, it's all about how you treat Marty in the clubhouse, he pretty much said that about Willie Green, who once turned down Marty's offer to interview in a way that did not please Marty. Add that to a morose on field manner and you are a going to be beat up on now and then.

As for other Marty targets, you can bet he didn't pull any punches on Dibble nor did he constantly praise Chris Sabo's baserunning skills.

And don't we all remember when he was dogging Jr? Only to find out he was hurt?

There's no doubt in my mind that Marty spends very little time in the clubhouse anymore. He probably spotted WMP goofing off during practice one day and that set him in motion. He rants about AD's strikeouts too. Personally, I don't think he knows as much about baseball as a lot of people think he does.

I don't think Marty spends any more time at the ballpark than he absolutely has to these days. I honestly don't think a whole lot of his comments have anything to do with first-hand experience... he just takes the most minute thing and makes a mountain out of it.... not based on fact, but rather, based on his opinion(s). Geez, you ever listen to his conversations with the various beat reporters? I can't even stand to listen anymore.

He thinks every player on the field should perform like a robot... perfectly at all times, just like he performs perfectly in the booth.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I don't believe anyone on the board is privy to the things that Marty and Steve see, personally, on an everyday basis.
    That's what I was getting at. Thanks RICN!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003

Outstanding post. The Cult of Scrappitology.

Now I gotta go spread around some rep points so I can hit you again.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?