Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Observation on one of Marty's comments...

Re: Observation on one of Marty's comments...

The question should be more about Pena than Marty. Marty will say what he wants, when he wants to, and he is an equal opportunity criticizer. Don't show him an attitude or get in his face, you'll be sorry.
    Did Pena goof off? We know he rarely followed Reds dictates. Do you recall when the Reds made a point of him going to Arizona for winter ball and he refused?
    Were there other issues? Before we accuse Marty of being anything more than a perfectionist and someone who likes his butt worshiped, we should analyze if Pena became a prima donna since coming into the major leagues so early with so little basics learned.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've also heard that several Reds players weren't too upset to see Wily Mo go either. There has to be some reason for this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

BCubb: Along with those who already did, I tip my hat...good post.

As a fan of Marty (besed mostly on my memories and nothing of recent years) I'd say it is time for him and the organization to part ways.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    And don't we all remember when he was dogging Jr? Only to find out he was hurt?.
    My memory of that was that he dogged Jr. for not hustling. Jr. told him that he was hurt. He then told Jr. that if he was not 100%, he shouldn't be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I've also heard that several Reds players weren't too upset to see Wily Mo go either. There has to be some reason for this.
    Would some of them be the ones who get more playing time?
    Go Gators!

I suppose we'll find out soon enough what WMP's work habits are since everything in BOS is under a magnifying glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

WomackRUlZZZ250 - sounds like a troll name to me. I don't have a problem with people bringing up race - believe it or not race relations is a problem we don't talk enough about in our society.....but from a Troll it is just baiting.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    WomackRUlZZZ250 - sounds like a troll name to me. I don't have a problem with people bringing up race - believe it or not race relations is a problem we don't talk enough about in our society.....but from a Troll it is just baiting.
    I like the fact that he is "73" years old and uses words like iz, domincans, criticiszm, eyez, and strikez, among others.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If you guys have a problem with another poster, express it through the proper channels.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by big boy
    My memory of that was that he dogged Jr. for not hustling. Jr. told him that he was hurt. He then told Jr. that if he was not 100%, he shouldn't be out there.
    Like that's his decision to make.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

What Marty says is the gospel so if he says Wily Mo was a lazy ballplayer than thats what he is.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I've heard the same thing... and the laziness thing more than once from several different sources.

Guess that makes me a sheep in Marty's flock

Actually....where are the "hard working" Wily Mo articles... I've be interested to read them.

It could be that they know that the pitching on the team sucks so they were happy to see an upgrade. Plus my guess if Casey was still on the team he would have sheed a tear.

As for Martry comment I have begun on the last couple years to think what ever the oposite of what Marty says is true. All three of his manager here talked very highly about his work ethic, even though all are bad managers, I will take there word over Marty's.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by wire2wire90
    Actually....where are the "hard working" Wily Mo articles... I've be interested to read them.
    2004:

With Pena's playing time infrequent and Larkin often sidelined by injuries, the two had plenty of spare time last year, and they used it to work in the batting cage, with the captain doing the teaching and the rookie trying to soak it up.

As the year wore on, that work on the side paid dividends. By the time the Reds reached September, their entire starting outfield was on the disabled list, clearing the way for Pena to get the time he desperately needed to develop as a player.

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/06/04/reds06-04-2004.html

2005:

"That's what I wanted to do," said Pena. "I was just looking for that to try to put the ball in the gap and Randa came in to score."

To Miley, that approach was an indication that all of Pena's work with hitting coach Chris Chambliss in using the entire field had made some inroads.

"He went through a bit of a streak in spring training where he was getting back into a little bit of a pull mode," said Miley. "But the kid works as hard as anybody and it's paid off."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....504180317/1027

"You have to credit him with the work he's done with Chamb (hitting coach Chris Chambliss )," Miley said. "There was a stretch in spring training where he was in pull mode, but he's worked hard on his approach."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...357_recap.html

Last month:

Narron says he has seen Pena's dedication and desire to improve in the field.

"I think he's willing to work," Narron said. "I think anybody that says he's not willing to work hasn't been around him enough. I'm sure at times he would get frustrated and wonder, 'What am I working for?' It's not that he's a lazy guy."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Well there ya go... I need to read the papers/websites more.

In that case, I believe Castellini and company are taking lessons from their buddy Bush's friend Karl Rove... it's a smear campaign

Turn Off Ads?