Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Observation on one of Marty's comments...

Re: Observation on one of Marty's comments...

maybe i was wrong after all thx for everyones input

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nope...I think you are still a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie94
    Nope...I think you are still a troll.
    what exactly does this mean neway to call someone a troll is it just a putdown or like a stupid person or what

Quote Originally Posted by WomackRULZZZ250
    what exactly does this mean neway to call someone a troll is it just a putdown or like a stupid person or what

Basically a troll is someone who comes to a certain forum like this one and does nothing but make ignorant and controversial posts to get all the regulars fired up. Usually these said "trolls" are fans of other teams, or not a fan at all, just troublemakers. Not saying that's you at all, just answering your question.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    Basically a troll is someone who comes to a certain forum like this one and does nothing but make ignorant and controversial posts to get all the regulars fired up. Usually these said "trolls" are fans of other teams, or not a fan at all, just troublemakers. Not saying that's you at all, just answering your question.
    oh ok thanks no i was just speaking my mind yeah i see how that wold makee people mad! i defintely love the reds!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    Thats ridiculous, Marty doesn't like anyone.
    Now that's funny.

I do not know of any particular incident but Marty does "call 'em like he sees 'em". Just ask him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    He's not racist towards anybody. He says what he feels, just like we do....the difference is, what we say doesn't get broadcast over a 50,000 watt station.
    Matt, does the fact that he's saying it over 50,000 watts make it more important for him to know what he's talking about and not necessarily say whatever he feels at the moment?
    It's not a slam on him but I agree with Redread that when he brands someone lazy it's really hard to shake the label.
    He's the voice of the Reds to a lot of people so if he calls Wily Mo or Felipe or Dunn or whomever lazy then it's gospel to alot of his audience.

So if he's going to say that shouldn't it be something he's certain of, and not a situation where he just sees Wily Mo not hustle down the line and deems him lazy?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I think you ought to ask the question if it occurs to you, and we can kick it around, look at it from all sides, and figure it out.

If you ever heard Marty talk about Lee May or Tony Perez, you'd know he's not racist. I'd like to challenge him on what he said about Pena, but maybe he's right and all the sportswriters were just blowing smoke, or being spun by the coaches at the time. I'd sure like to reconcile the different stories.

I think it's really just Marty's version of what we talk a lot about here: the cult of scrappitology. In a way it makes sense that announcers, sportswriters and the casual fans would relate to the ballplayers who are easy to relate to... the affable little hustler like Kirby Puckett instead of the aloof talented star like Eddie Murray. As you can see, it's not about race, but it looks like that when a black player is the target. Sometimes a white player is the target, like Dunn, but nobody thinks of race.

Add to that Marty's general sourness these days, and the generational gap with the overpaid, hip-hip playing, headphone wearing, tattoo-getting punk kids from where ever they came from, and you can push some buttons.

Of course, most of this would go away if these guys were winning pennants. I try to remember that Marty's been watching even more of the same disappointing organization that we have.
    Phenomenal post. Read it three times.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

bunter

I don't think race or ethnicity has a thing to do with it. Over the years I've heard Marty ride a lot of guys from Joe Morgan to Johnny Bench to Paul O'Neill to Felipe Lopez. When it comes to getting on people Marty is an equal opportunity offender and usually I agree with him. As for Wily Mo there's one where I will have to agree as well. Sure his offense got better and that comes with playing time. But my experience of a players work ethic is on defense. Case in point is Wade Boggs who when he came up was a disaster defensively. However by putting in extra time focusing on defense he advanced to the point where I believe he was a gold glove caliber player. Wily Mo was a butcher in the field three years ago and he still is today. I wish him well and I think he will do well in heading to a league where he can do what he does best - hit.

Quote Originally Posted by bunter
    As for Wily Mo there's one where I will have to agree as well. Sure his offense got better and that comes with playing time.
    So, regardless of the multiple articles that state otherwise, you and Marty think that WMP is lazy and has a lousey work ethic... correct?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

bunter

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    So, regardless of the multiple articles that state otherwise, you and Marty think that WMP is lazy and has a lousey work ethic... correct?
    That would be correct as it relates to his defense. I give WMP credit for being a great offensive talent. Ted Williams said that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports and WMP has gotten consistently better over time at that. Catching the ball however is another story. Catching a baseball isn't rocket science but is something that can be picked up with work. WMP not only is still a hack defensively, he hasn't really gotten any better. I think WMP focus was, is, and will continue to be offense and since George Foster made a lot more money than Cesar Geronimo over the course of his career I guess I can understand the focus on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    Thats ridiculous, Marty doesn't like anyone.
    He likes Marty.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by bunter
    That would be correct as it relates to his defense.
    You know, some guys could practice 24/7 and still not be good a certain aspect of their game. IMHO, WMP is one of them.... doesn't mean he doesn't work hard at it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Marty is so full of his self that he has gone over board. He is a radio announcer that is so opinionated that it is sickening. Don't you remember he was the one on the Arelia bandwagon and was against Lopez last year. If he had his way we would of gotten rid of Lopez last year....same for encarnacion....same for Wily Mo...got his wish there..!! It's obvious to anyone that you need not be on his hit list....even if you never play winter ball and continue to come to camp out of shape thats ok as long as your part of the old good ol' boy network. He can say anything he wants but that definately was a cheap shot and probably goes back to last year when Wily Mo refused an interview with King Marty...If Marty don't like you plan on not being liked...RIGHT...or WRONG. In this case saying that Wily Mo was LAZY was completely wrong and uncalled for IMHO. BTW I can be as shallow as King Marty....his hair looks awful funny to me but I don't think that should be held against him....LOL!!!!

Turn Off Ads?