Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gammons: Scouts worried about Reds Defense.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Gammons: Scouts worried about Reds Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Whoa! TC, I greatly admire your opinions, but your range and speed numbers are up there. The guy has made all of seven big league starts so I obviously haven't seen much of him, but I think I'd have noticed if he were a 70 type speed guy. A 70 would be well above average.
    That's exactly what I was thinking to myself the first 2-3 times I saw him this spring. Originally I thought it was that others around him were that slow. A factor than can mislead your initial observations. I have seen him go first to third, close on balls DEEP in the gap, fly down the line, turn routine grounders into bang, bang plays. He has 70 speed. No doubt about it. I have notes on him for 7 games this spring and he's three things... FAST, Aggressive and Smart. He can hit, he can run and he makes a strong throw to the cutoff man. I really look forward to seeing how he adjustst this year. I really think he can take a Brady Clark type of path. Similar traits. Denorfia is faster but Clark has a little more pop and a stonger arm.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gammons: Scouts worried about Reds Defense.

It seems to me that Denorfia's got better speed on defense than on the basepaths. As TC noted, he really closes on the ball. On offense I haven't seen the same kind of turnover. Maybe the base turns throw him a bit. Hard to say. Technically he should be capable of moving at the same clip on either offense or defense. Yet he seems to find fifth gear in the field.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?