Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Arroyo to start second for Reds

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Arroyo to start second for Reds
    By Hal McCoy

    Dayton Daily News

    SARASOTA, F LA . | When spring training began, the area of gravest concern was starting pitching. And while the wrinkled brows surrounding the Cincinnati Reds haven't been straightened, manager Jerry Narron feels better about it.

    Why? The acquisition of Branson Arroyo this week and the near-perfect performance of much-maligned Eric Milton on Wednesday against the Minnesota Twins.

    As of this moment, barring injuries or natural disasters, Narron has his rotation aligned this way: Right-hander Aaron Harang on Opening Day, right-hander Arroyo in Game 2, followed by left-handers Brandon Claussen, Milton and Dave Williams.

    Harang is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in three starts, Claussen is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in four starts, Milton is 1-1 with a 7.94 ERA in two starts, Williams is 1-2 with a 7.20 in four starts and a relief appearance.

    Arroyo makes his first Cincinnati start Saturday and was 1-2 with a 10.03 ERA in four starts for the Red Sox.

    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...4rotation.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Can he be stopped?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    1,231

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Ok, so when I read this thread title, I thought someone was being cute and saying Arroyo was going to start at second base... and I thought: Oh WayneK! You silly guy! I guess a guy is no good unless he can play middle infield or catcher.
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

    Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

  4. #3
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    Ok, so when I read this thread title, I thought someone was being cute and saying Arroyo was going to start at second base... and I thought: Oh WayneK! You silly guy! I guess a guy is no good unless he can play middle infield or catcher.
    Sadly, he could probably outhit Womack.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  5. #4
    Member RedsFan75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    So lets pick apart this rotation a bit.

    Is there a benefit to having the lefties all together?

    Is there a benefit to having the lefties split?

  6. #5
    He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    703

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    That's exactly what I am wondering. Is there a method to their madness or are they maybe walking on egg shells with Arroyo and dont want to "insult" him by putting him in the 3rd slot?

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    118

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    No, I don't feel baseball works that way. If it did, Theo Epstein would have made sure his good friend (I am not being sarcastic here) knew he was being traded before someone told him that Ken Rosenthal had it as the top hot story on FoxSports.com. Plus he was headed to the pen in Boston AND totally fine with it. But had Epstein waited until then, his value would have dropped off the table. It's a business at this point.
    One of the things I have not seen any one of these stat heads point out is that Arroyo has never had one full season as a starter. I think you need to take all of that into consideration when you prove a trend.
    Of course Arroyo's pitching will show some league adjustment, but get him a good catcher that he can osmose with and you've got a guy that is going to flabbergast the NL hitters with his 20 different arm angles! Or his curve workin' on a warm Cincinnati day. Heck maybe he'll even be so comfortable without 35K fans yelling in his ear that he had better not suck that he will perfect that mediocre change

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    118

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Arroyo to start second for Reds
    By Hal McCoy

    Dayton Daily News

    SARASOTA, F LA . | When spring training began, the area of gravest concern was starting pitching. And while the wrinkled brows surrounding the Cincinnati Reds haven't been straightened, manager Jerry Narron feels better about it.

    Why? The acquisition of Branson Arroyo this week and the near-perfect performance of much-maligned Eric Milton on Wednesday against the Minnesota Twins.

    As of this moment, barring injuries or natural disasters, Narron has his rotation aligned this way: Right-hander Aaron Harang on Opening Day, right-hander Arroyo in Game 2, followed by left-handers Brandon Claussen, Milton and Dave Williams.

    Harang is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in three starts, Claussen is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in four starts, Milton is 1-1 with a 7.94 ERA in two starts, Williams is 1-2 with a 7.20 in four starts and a relief appearance.

    Arroyo makes his first Cincinnati start Saturday and was 1-2 with a 10.03 ERA in four starts for the Red Sox.

    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...4rotation.html
    Branson?!
    I could just swear this is the same guy that misspelled Kevin Youkilis' name when he was being floated around as a trade possiblity as well. AND Youkie is FROM Cincinnati.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    So lets pick apart this rotation a bit.

    Is there a benefit to having the lefties all together?

    Is there a benefit to having the lefties split?
    I don't know about having the lefties bunched together. Probably does not make that much difference. But I am more and more excited about the possibility of seeing the rotation move out of the cellar and into the middle of the pack in the NL. With Arroyo and Milton returning to form we'll get a lot more innings which will help the bullpen too. They're leaps and bounds ahead of '05 and '04. If you consider that Arroyo replaces Ortiz, and Williams replaces the 25 starts by Wilson/Hudson - dramatic improvements! Could we see an offense in the top 3 and a pitching staff in the middle of the pack? I think so.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    I just looked and Williams actually had better success against rh hitters last year by a significant margin. Claussen and Milton had more success against lh hitters. More evidence that it shouldn't matter bunching the 3 lhp's together in the rotation.

  11. #10
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,278

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    One start, and people keep saying Milton is "returning to form."

    What form would that be exactly? Because unless he suddenly got Steve Austin's knee, it was one ST start against a weak offense.

    I'd rather have Dennys Reyes than Eric Milton. At least Big Sweat was fun to watch.. sweat.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  12. #11
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    One start, and people keep saying Milton is "returning to form."
    Unfortunately, Milton "returning to form" still equates to a below average pitcher.

  13. #12
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    Ok, so when I read this thread title, I thought someone was being cute and saying Arroyo was going to start at second base... and I thought: Oh WayneK! You silly guy! I guess a guy is no good unless he can play middle infield or catcher.
    LOL. That's close to what I thought. I figured someone was poking fun at Jerry Narron and saying he's decided to cut through the logjam and just put Arroyo at 2nd. (he wouldn't, would he? )
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  14. #13
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I'd rather have Dennys Reyes than Eric Milton. At least Big Sweat was fun to watch.. sweat.
    Oh good Lord! I absolutely hated having him on the Reds and moaned and groaned every time he pitched... more often than not, it was deserved.

    Ugh! This may give me a nightmare.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  15. #14
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    TRF, speak for yourself. Reyes is on organization number nine these days.

  16. #15
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,685

    Re: Arroyo to start second for Reds

    Quote Originally Posted by PTBNL
    Branson?!
    I could just swear this is the same guy that misspelled Kevin Youkilis' name when he was being floated around as a trade possiblity as well. AND Youkie is FROM Cincinnati.
    The same guy who is in the Baseball Writer's section of the Hall of Fame? The same guy who uses an "a" for an "o" in one article? The same guy who is from Dayton, but is expected to spell a strange last name of a guy from Cincinnati who has never played for the REDS?

    Man, must be tough to be perfect and expect all other "humans" to be the same way! To each his own, I guess...
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25