Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimpher leaving UC?

University of Cincinnati

Re: Zimpher leaving UC?

It's all apart of Zimphers plan to wreck and change as many Universities current plans.

TRADERUMOR, look at teams that are IVY league they haven't had a competive athletic team in how long? When's the last time one won a national championship? And I'm not talking about chess here. If you want to win you will sacrifice admission standards to allow the best players in the country to come and play for your University. Duke does it, Florida does it, as well as many other programs. UC is not the only program that have the brightest student athletes. Look at UConn just this offseason one of Calhoun's players got caught stealing a laptop.....
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    It's all apart of Zimphers plan to wreck and change as many Universities current plans.

TRADERUMOR, look at teams that are IVY league they haven't had a competive athletic team in how long? When's the last time one won a national championship? And I'm not talking about chess here. If you want to win you will sacrifice admission standards to allow the best players in the country to come and play for your University. Duke does it, Florida does it, as well as many other programs. UC is not the only program that have the brightest student athletes. Look at UConn just this offseason one of Calhoun's players got caught stealing a laptop.....
    You shouldn't sacrifice to no end. But there HAS to be a little sacrifice on standards or you wouldn't field a team. And college sports are integral to a University experience.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The truth is that most athletes can't get in to college if they were held to the same standards as the general population is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Retired

Update from Willy.

He said a lawyer who he knows, that represents high profile people in the city, told him Zimpher is interviewing with Northwestern today. He said she feels she's burned too many bridges to stay here and it's time to move on.

University of Cincinnati

Good get the hell out
    THE University of Cincinnati

Over under on how long it takes her to run Randy Walker off?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Now I am very much in favor of high academic standards, but I always thought the purpose of college is to prepare students for a career. You could argue that athletics is simply the career that some students are being prepared for.

Quote Originally Posted by beb30

Yes, because sinners are poor and only go to state schools.

Admission standards is not even what I consider to be the key component of "academic integrity," and I'm not even sure graduation rates are either. The key things seem to be are the student-athletes truly students once they are there? Are they playing by the same rules as all other students? Are the student athletes challenged to engage in something other than basket weaving, or phys ed majors? That's just a few things. Of course, you want to have fair admissions standards, but then I also do not want to see capable but ill-prepared students left out in the cold. Of course, there are many local and junior colleges that can help a determined student to catch up from a lacking pre-college education.

Of course, most of our universities are just trade schools anymore, so its a bit hypocritical to worry about whether or not a student is using a university to ply his future trade of professional sports (but I digress).

But then, there are great stories that made Ohio State's loss last Sunday a little easier to swallow, with Terrance Dials and JJ Sullinger missing their graduation for their final basketball game as Buckeyes. Hopefully, they have completed courses of studies that will benefit them to make a living and be productive members of our society outside of their ability to jump and swipe balls out of the air or make a six foot jumper with three people hanging on them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Now I am very much in favor of high academic standards, but I always thought the purpose of college is to prepare students for a career. You could argue that athletics is simply the career that some students are being prepared for.
    I saw this after preparing my post. That is what many universities have become. I wish they were more about preparing thinkers than accountants, businessmen and professional athletes.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Nancy needs to be anywhere but Cincinnati.

She's done enough damage -- I hope she goes before she screws something else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Update from Willy.

He said a lawyer who he knows, that represents high profile people in the city, told him Zimpher is interviewing with Northwestern today. He said she feels she's burned too many bridges to stay here and it's time to move on.
    That only took 365 days too long.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I saw this after preparing my post. That is what many universities have become. I wish they were more about preparing thinkers than accountants, businessmen and professional athletes.
    I am inclined to agree with you, but there is a pragmatic part of me that sees college as a means to an end, and if your time spent there prepares you for a fulfilling career then it wasn't wasted. I am in favor of keeping standards at an acceptable level, but there are also many kids who have a lot of athletic ability but not a whole lot of smarts. It's sad, but sports provides the best chance of success for some of these kids. I'm not saying I like it or I don't wish it could be different, but that is the way it is viewed by many people these days. Like you, I am something of an idealist, but it appears that those ideals are far from the reality today.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

UC has denied the story.

What a shame.

In a wierd bizarro world kind of way I would almost be just as PO'd if she did leave now. It's almost like she should have to stay here and suffer through the damn mess that she has made. For her to come in here and in the space of a year or two completely destroy something that Huggins, his staff and his players worked so hard to build over the course of 15 years and then for her to be able to just ride off into the sunset with some sort of "mission accomplished" grin on her face makes me sick to my stomach. SHe should have to suffer some too like all of us loyal UC fans will have to do for the next 3 or 4 years.

This is one of the few times on RedsZone where I wish there were no abusive language rules to follow. I don't think I've EVER felt such ill will towards someone I've never personally been involved with in my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    UC has denied the story.

What a shame.
    You mean Willy was blowing smoke?

Well, now I need to find a new hero :

Turn Off Ads?