Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Cuts Made

Re: More Cuts Made

I guess this means we're not trading a catcher and we're keeping both TW and Ross? Which outfielder makes the cut with them: Wise, McKracken, or Buchanan?

I should would like to see Kata instead of TW.

2. Turn Off Ads?

3 catchers?

Why?
    Go Gators!

It's in the sig bro.

I think that Denorfia would be better off having 200 major league AB's this year than 500 minor league one's. He doesn't have anything to work on besides learning major league pitching. Unfortunately that's not a possibility when you've got studs like Hatteberg blocking him. This reminds me SO much of Jim Thome blocking Ryan Howard the last few years!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    This reminds me SO much of Jim Thome blocking Ryan Howard the last few years!
    Except that Thome had the ability to hit the ball, and a pretty good history of hitting the ball.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Team Boone you are right. It does seem foolish to declare for free agency after passing through waivers. It would seem that Standridge would have a better chance in AAA and try to get called up later.

I also agree with many that Deno should go to AAA to play everyday. He seems to be progressing very well. Isn't it nice to have some nice prospects the past couple years. FeLo, EE, and Deno. No pitching, but those 3 will all be nice cheap young players for a few years. Hopefully Homer will become the 1st big youngster to make a major impact.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    I think that Denorfia would be better off having 200 major league AB's this year than 500 minor league one's. He doesn't have anything to work on besides learning major league pitching. Unfortunately that's not a possibility when you've got studs like Hatteberg blocking him. This reminds me SO much of Jim Thome blocking Ryan Howard the last few years!
    I like Denorfia and think he'll be a good big-leaguer, don't get me wrong. But we're not exactly talking about clearing room for George Foster in 1975 here. Denorfia didn't start hitting like a top prospect until last year at age 25, and he's only logged about four months' time above Double-A. I don't think he's proven himself a sure thing and I wouldn't mind seeing him continue to hit a little longer before I start moving players around to accommodate him.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    No. Because any club could sign him for whatever price he can command. If he accepted the assignment with LOU, he'd have to play there at minor league wages. You never know who might want to sign him.
    Are agents allowed to talk to other teams when this happens, or is that against the tampering rules?

What kind of player does Denorfia project as?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    What kind of player does Denorfia project as?
    Not sure, but a player who posted a 390 OBP and 20 HRs in the minors last year and a +100 IsoD in his MLB stint last year is OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Yes, but if no one was interested enough to claim him off waivers, why would they be interested in him as a free agent? Wouldn't it cost them more that way?
    Not necessarily. If you claim a guy off waivers, you have to pay the price of the waiver claim and pay his salary and keep him on the 25/40 man roster. If he is a FA, teams can negotiate whatever deal they like with them. For example, perhaps ATL would be interested in signing Standridge to a minor league deal. But so may Colorado. He may have a better chance to be a good pitcher with the ATL organization than he would with COL. Or maybe he believes he would have a better shot getting back to the majors with COL.

Sava, I would think agents could talk to other teams during that process. That way they can gague interest. But maybe someone like Team Clark could answer that question better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Unfortunately that's not a possibility when you've got studs like Hatteberg blocking him. This reminds me SO much of Jim Thome blocking Ryan Howard the last few years!
    I better clear this up! It was a joke in comparing Hatteberg to Thome.

Denorfia will be a good fourth outfielder. I can understand giving him a bit more seasoning, with every day play, before assigning him to that role on the Reds. Since he can play centerfield, which is an important skill, I have no doubt he will be in the major leagues pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Denorfia will be a good fourth outfielder. I can understand giving him a bit more seasoning, with every day play, before assigning him to that role on the Reds. Since he can play centerfield, which is an important skill, I have no doubt he will be in the major leagues pretty soon.
    To tell you the truth, I think he will be a good STARTING outfielder.

I think he already is.

It's so crazy that Krivsky, coming from an organization like the Twins doesn't realize the glaring need for range in the Cincinnati outfield.

You'd think watching guys like Jacque Jones and Torii Hunter run around like gazelles over the past few years would mean he values such things.

Maybe the Twins success was ALL Terry Ryan.........I really hope that isn't the case.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    3 catchers?

Why?
    Just a thought here. Perhaps Javier Valentin assumes the role of lead pinch hitter instead of Jacob Cruz. Valentin can also play some first base.

I'm not saying that carrying three catchers will happen, but why trade for Ross if he isn't going to be on the opening day roster?

Barring a trade of LaRue or Valentin, the above reason is only logical one I can think of.

Turn Off Ads?