Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Cuts Made

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: More Cuts Made

Not a bad supposition. Managers often hesitate to use the last catcher as a pinch-hitter. That's not an issue for most teams because the backup catcher usually doesn't hit much, but in our case, having Larue or Valentin freed up for pinch-hitting duties could help. Let Ross be the 25th guy every day instead of a guy who can actually hit.

I still think there's a good chance a catcher is traded, though.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't fathom sending your team's best defensive outfielder down, while keeping three catchers.

Either a trade is in the works, or something really smells.

This really irks me.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I can't fathom sending your team's best defensive outfielder down, while keeping three catchers.
    I'm holding out hope they aren't that dumb, 12 pitchers plus 3 catchers leaves 10 guys for the 7 other spots, that's bad, real bad.

I'm seeing a pitcher having to play the OF in an extra inning game if they do that.
    Go Gators!

Eric Milton could be the extra pinch hitter.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

This is our AAA team roster so far. Interesting only one catcher. It looks like Standridge should take the assignment.
    http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...d=milb&cid=416

Not a good comparison. I would take Thome right now to play 1B. Hatteberg is not even a poor man's Sean Casey.

Deno was sent down because he was not going to be a starting outfielder. Whatever the reasons and there must be something to Hatterberg being a better first baseman than Dunn. There is more to playing it everyday then just playing it occasionally like he did last year. Also playing in the infield take a different mental approach as well. You can kind of turn off more in between pitches and stuff than the infield.

Deno will probably get the call up at some time but he still has stuff to learn. You don't want him turning into a WMP. His not going to get better or even stay sharp sitting on the bench.

The REDS are still evaluating the three catcher scenario (and maybe the trade situation) so I don't see the situations being related. You may even see RA moved on with Valentin being the 1B/pinch hitter. There are all sorts of options there. Whereas Buchanan/Wise/McCracken/Cruz are really competing for that bench outfield spot. They're not going to get the call up to replace the starting outfield.

I think the real interesting competition is in the relief corp. I would like to see White moved on and the REDS go with Burns/Wagner/Coffey/Belisle and the vets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    The REDS are still evaluating the three catcher scenario (and maybe the trade situation) so I don't see the situations being related. You may even see RA moved on with Valentin being the 1B/pinch hitter. There are all sorts of options there. Whereas Buchanan/Wise/McCracken/Cruz are really competing for that bench outfield spot. They're not going to get the call up to replace the starting outfield.
    I'd like to know what the future of Miguel Perez might be with this club.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Can he be stopped?

Standridge accepted Lousiville according to Marc:

SARASOTA -- Going through workouts on the back fields as we speak: Jason Standridge.

Probably a smart move on his part to accept the assignment. I imagine we'll see him in the majors at some point this year.

I am glad Standridge accepted the assignment. This is probably his best shot to get back to the majors. this also gives the team more depth.

Turn Off Ads?