Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hee-Seop Choi claimed off waivers by the Red Sox from the Dodgers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hee-Seop Choi claimed off waivers by the Red Sox from the Dodgers

From Rotoworld:
    Red Sox claimed first baseman Hee-Seop Choi off waivers from the Dodgers.
    It was bound to happen one of these years. Rather than carry Choi initially, the Red Sox will probably option him to Triple-A and wait and see what kind of starts Kevin Youkilis and J.T. Snow get off to. It'll be the same deal as with Roberto Petagine last year, though we hope Terry Francona is a little more open-minded about letting Choi into the lineup. By June or July, maybe the 27-year-old will get a chance to take aim at the Pesky Pole. Since he's making just $750,000, it's a great roll of the dice for the Red Sox. Mar. 24 - 5:02 pm et

Re: Hee-Seop Choi claimed off waivers by the Red Sox from the Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by PTBNL
    From Rotoworld:
    Since he's making just $750,000, it's a great roll of the dice for the Red Sox. Mar. 24 - 5:02 pm et
    Would have been a great roll of the dice for the Reds as well.

Hatteberg is the answer evidently.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Hatteberg is the answer evidently.
    Then I don't want to know the question.

The question is: Who was that guy scrubbing Narron's back in the shower last week?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I do wonder what they're thinking sometimes. I really do.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Old vets will lead us to old times.
    Go Gators!

Choi can't play second base, and there aren't any more marginally talented young pitchers on the 40 man roster to DFA?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

My question concerns the order for picking up waiver claims. When a player is placed on waivers, every team in the Majors has an opportunity to make a claim over the next three business days, and priority goes to the club with the worst record. Does this order change if a team has made a prior claim? In other words, did the Reds ability to pick rather highly in the waiver process change after they picked up Gossling?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    My question concerns the order for picking up waiver claims. When a player is placed on waivers, every team in the Majors has an opportunity to make a claim over the next three business days, and priority goes to the club with the worst record. Does this order change if a team has made a prior claim? In other words, did the Reds ability to pick rather highly in the waiver process change after they picked up Gossling?
    No the order stays the same.
    Also, since the Red Sox got him, it means all NL teams passed on him. First you go within the league (in this case the NL), then you do the other league.

I'm not too upset out this. When you consider we have Valentin, Dunn, Hattenberg, and Aurillia to man 1b. Sure Choi mightv'e been a little bit better than Hattenberg, but in the grand scheme of things, Choi would've just been another stopgap.

It's interesting that other NL teams that could've used a 1b (Florida, Atlanta) also passed on him. Also, the article says the Red Sox are going to send him to AAA.. It seems that there's general consenous among all teams that Choi has slipped to a AAAA player. Again, that might still make him better than Hattenberg, but the Reds are kind of stuck with Hattenberg.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    No the order stays the same.
    Also, since the Red Sox got him, it means all NL teams passed on him. First you go within the league (in this case the NL), then you do the other league.

I'm not too upset out this. When you consider we have Valentin, Dunn, Hattenberg, and Aurillia to man 1b. Sure Choi mightv'e been a little bit better than Hattenberg, but in the grand scheme of things, Choi would've just been another stopgap.

It's interesting that other NL teams that could've used a 1b (Florida, Atlanta) also passed on him. Also, the article says the Red Sox are going to send him to AAA.. It seems that there's general consenous among all teams that Choi has slipped to a AAAA player. Again, that might still make him better than Hattenberg, but the Reds are kind of stuck with Hattenberg.
    Also, since the Red Sox got him, most of the AL teams passed on him, too.

I agree that Choi would only be a stopgap who is only marginally better than Hatteberg. If the Reds didn't already have Hatteberg, then I might have been more interested in Choi. But he would be somewhat redundant on this club. Since Hatteberg is somewhat of a sunk cost, it wouldn't make sense to pick up a similar player.

Personally, I have high hopes for Rich Aurilia at 1B (at least until a long-term solution is found). Talk about the anti-Casey! There isn't going to be any friendly small-talk going on with baserunners now! And, just maybe, that is what this club needs--to stop being so "nice and friendly". Like Leo Durocher said, "Nice guys finish last!"
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

If you complain about not getting Hee-Shop frickin Choi, you just might be a Redsneck.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    If you complain about not getting Hee-Shop frickin Choi, you just might be a Redsneck.
    You're right. He's only younger and better than the current Reds first baseman and he's cheap. What's to like about him?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    You're right. He's only younger and better than the current Reds first baseman and he's cheap. What's to like about him?
    Because:

A) He's not that good

and

B) The season hasn't started yet and already Hatteberg is the new Aurilia. Give it time.

and

C) Shealy, who many like better than Choi could still come available.

Turn Off Ads?