Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hee Seop Choi on waivers. Reds silent, miss chance.

Telephone Sanitizer

Hee Seop Choi on waivers. Reds silent, miss chance.

The Dodgers placed Hee Seop Choi on waivers, and he was claimed by the Red Sox.

Given that the Red Sox had a better record than the Reds last year, it implies that the Reds did not place a claim on Choi.

This, in turn, implies one of two things:

1) Reds' management thinks Scott Hatteberg (assuming he will be the starting first baseman) is better than Choi. I really hope this isn't true.

2) Reds' management doesn't want to push Hatteberg to the bench or off the team after signing him to a contract. I guess I'd feel better about this, but not much.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hee Seop Choi on waivers. Reds silent, miss chance.

Pure stupidity. Another nice move by the Red Sox.

The Reds had a chance to add a player with 30 homerun potential, good OBP skills, and a good glove...and they pass on him for likes of Scott Hatteberg? Just great.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

This is absolutely rediculous, unless of course he is injured and it that info hasn't leaked out yet.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Hmmm...The Dodgers couldn't deal him. Lots of other teams must have passed also. Granted, not everyone has a hole at first, but...maybe there is more to this than meets the eye.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Meanwhile, Seattle has released 2B Fernando Vina. Bet the Reds pick him up.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    This is absolutely rediculous, unless of course he is injured and it that info hasn't leaked out yet.
    That would imply that the Reds have inside info that the Red Sox do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Meanwhile, Seattle has released 2B Fernando Vina. Bet the Reds pick him up.
    He meets all criteria.
    Go Gators!

Choi even had an option left. Why did the Dodgers opt to release the guy? It's not like Nomar is an ironman or signed beyond this year.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

If we pick up Vina and release Womack, is that a win or a loss?
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    If we pick up Vina and release Womack, is that a win or a loss?
    It's a kick in the groin or a kick in the head..your choice.
    Go Gators!

kick in the head. plz k thx.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Choi even had an option left. Why did the Dodgers opt to release the guy? It's not like Nomar is an ironman or signed beyond this year.
    $$$

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Golgafrinchan
    1) Reds' management thinks Scott Hatteberg (assuming he will be the starting first baseman) is better than Choi. I really hope this isn't true.
    Could be that the Reds didn't want to spend $750K on a player who just isn't that good.

He's been given the opportunity on several occasions to win the 1B job in Chicago, Miami & LA. One year, he had a good half-season with the Marlins. Other than that, his play has consistently made his managers hesistant to play him...or eager to hand Choi's playing time to a few less than ideal hitters.

Is Narron going to explore territory that Baker, Tracy, et al. refused to try? Doubtful.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Could be that the Reds didn't want to spend $750K on a player who just isn't that good.

He's been given the opportunity on several occasions to win the 1B job in Chicago, Miami & LA. One year, he had a good half-season with the Marlins. Other than that, his play has consistently made his managers hesistant to play him...or eager to hand Choi's playing time to a few less than ideal hitters.

Is Narron going to explore territory that Baker, Tracy, et al. refused to try? Doubtful.
    They spent 750K on Hatteberg. Choi is younger and better than Hatteberg and was worth picking up, imo.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    They spent 750K on Hatteberg and Choi is younger and better than Hatteberg.
    There are a lot of people making decisions for baseball teams who don't believe Choi is a major leaguer.

I think he's just not good enough for hand-wringing. He may be better than Hatteberg, he may not. If I was going to spend 400 ABs on one or the other, it would be Choi. If I wanted a player who can really control the strike zone, pinch-hit and provide veteran leadership (as woy has said: "all those things I'm told I'm not supposed to care about"), then I'm sticking with Hatteberg.

Either way, Choi can be maddening to watch on an everyday basis. The holes in his swing get to be pretty tough to put up with at times...just ask his former managers. You hear a lot of AL player vs. NL player talk around baseball and on these boards. If there is such an animal as an AL player (and I think Scioscia & Ozzie would give you some argument), I think it's Choi. Do you want Choi in your arsenal in a tight ball game? How would you use him?

Narron has announced his intention to give some quality PT to Hatteberg. Hopefully, Krivsky is still looking for options at 1B.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Turn Off Ads?