Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Deal for Sam Adams 'imminent'

Bengals Deal for Sam Adams 'imminent'

According to bengals.com

3-30-06, 8 p.m.: It looks like the long-awaited Marvin Lewis-Sam Adams reunion is about to be consummated. A NFL source said Thursday that a three-year deal for one of the league’s elite run stoppers is "imminent," as the Bengals closed in on arguably their biggest free-agent signing ever. It appears the Bengals are on the verge of completing a deal that fills their two biggest needs on defense: a physical/athletic safety and a big body in the middle. The 6-4, 340-pound Adams, who has made three of the last six Pro Bowls, is the prototypical line stuffer the Bengals have sought for years.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals Deal for Sam Adams 'imminent'

Samuel Adams, always a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Bengals will win the Super Bowl this year. I hate the NFL, but I have to admit that I did enjoy watching the Bengals offense last year. Adams will be huge for their defense and gives them a better shot at going all the way.

Any chance they draft Darnell Bing? I would love to see another Trojan on the Bengals roster to join Carson Palmer and Ifeanyi Ohalete.

HUGE signing!!!

HUGE!

(Well I guess I should say it would be as it hasn't happened yet)
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

per espn as of 10pm
    Fortifying a position that represented one of their biggest needs, the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday night reached a contract agreement in principle with unrestricted free-agent defensive tackle Sam Adams, who played the past three seasons with the Buffalo Bills.

Good signing, but far from making the Bengals a Super Bowl contender. They still need to sure up the safety position imo. Williams is good, and Jackson is decent, but I'd still like them to draft a safety or corner combo in the 1st round.

I'd really like to see Arrington signed, as much as I dislike him, he's a great football player.

They also need to get a speed rushing end who can play 4 downs.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    The Bengals will win the Super Bowl this year. I hate the NFL, but I have to admit that I did enjoy watching the Bengals offense last year.
    I wouldn't go that far. Schedule is brutal, based on last year's performances, and there's still no guarantee that Palmer won't miss a number of games. I hope he's back 110% by opening day and they do win the Super Bowl, but 9-7 wouldn't surprise me if Palmer plays all 16 games, and 4-12 wouldn't shock me if he misses half the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    Good signing, but far from making the Bengals a Super Bowl contender. They still need to sure up the safety position imo.
    They might need to draft a safety for the future, but Williams is a pro bowler in the making and Dexter is good enough untill we can develop said drafted safety. Far from a "need" in the immediate future, IMO(barring health issues, which is a legit concern with those 2).

Just having his fat butt in the A gaps makes this team worlds better.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Adams is very over-rated. Teams ran all over Buffalo the past couple years, especially when it mattered. The guy is about 3 years past and 30 pounds past his prime.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Samuel Adams, always a good decision.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33

They also need to get a speed rushing end who can play 4 downs.
    They already got him, his name is David Pollack. If we sign Lavar great, if not I would put Landon Johnson at the other LB spot and play Pollack at DE, as I think they are planning on doing. He was more effective as a DE last year than a LB, which is also where he had success in college. The Adams signing is great in so many ways, my favorite of which is because now for the first time ever the Bengals really can draft simply the best player available (although i'm still hoping for a TE- Pope or Lewis), and we have sured up the two most glaring weaknesses through the signings of Adams and Jackson.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Adams is very over-rated. Teams ran all over Buffalo the past couple years, especially when it mattered. The guy is about 3 years past and 30 pounds past his prime.
    wrong. Adams only played about half the downs in Buffalo, during which teams could never run inside effectively. Ask any Bills fan, he was hands down their best defensive player the last two years, even after he landed in Mularkey's doghouse in the second half of last year. And his weight is no different than it was the last ten years where he's made more pro bowls than anyone on the current Bengals roster.
    Go BLUE!!!

University of Cincinnati

I guess its official:

Bengals to sign DT Adams
    BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    The Bengals will sign defensive tackle Sam Adams to a three-year contract today, agent Angelo Wright confirmed overnight to the Enquirer.

“We’re pretty close right now,” said Wright, who was headed to Los Angeles for an NFL Players Association meeting. “Three years is correct.”

The 335-pound Adams played for Bengals coach Marvin Lewis when Lewis was coordinator of the Super Bowl-winning Ravens’ defense. Adams should help strengthen the Bengals’ run defense, which had received a boost earlier in free agency when the club signed sure-tackling safety Dexter Jackson.

Adams will team with returning starters John Thornton and Brian Robinson, as well as Shaun Smith, in the tackle rotation.
    THE University of Cincinnati

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    wrong. Adams only played about half the downs in Buffalo, during which teams could never run inside effectively. Ask any Bills fan, he was hands down their best defensive player the last two years, even after he landed in Mularkey's doghouse in the second half of last year. And his weight is no different than it was the last ten years where he's made more pro bowls than anyone on the current Bengals roster.
    i live in buffalo, i deal with bll's fans al the time. the dud is over rated
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?