Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson's Red's Debut: Game Thread for 3/25 vs. the Twinkies

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Bronson's Red's Debut: Game Thread for 3/25 vs. the Twinkies

We're joined in the game thread by Marc Lancaster. First question for Marc: Was there any consideration of picking up Hee Seop Choi as a possible improvement at 1st? [ :crickets chirp:] Alright, I didn't expect an answer.

1.) Tony Womack leading off with a sharp shot to Bartlet. He's gunned down. Second question for Marc: Tony Womack...bad second baseman, or WORST second baseman?

2.) Felipe Lopez smacks a base hit through the infield. That's my fantasy 2b/ss right there! Woot.

3.) Ken Griffey Jr. in. With Jr batting, Lopez takes 2nd on a passed ball. Jr. grounds out to Morneau, advancing Lopez to 3rd. It must be contagious, this whole make contact to advance the runner thing. Personally, I like it much better than home runs. Lopez to 3rd, 2 outs.

4.) Edwin Encarnacion at the plate and goes down on three straight pitches, ending the inning with Lopez standing on 3rd base, lonely and wishing his teammates cared enough to bring him home. Narron congratulates Edwin and tells him that he needs to look at Aurillia for guidance in how to bat in that situation.

At the end of the 3rd, Twinks still leading the Reds.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-25-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Start of the 4th inning for Bronson Arroyo.

1.) Torres replaces Liariano, and then pops a bunt up to Tony Womack for the first out of the inning. I wish I had something funny to say, but the joy of watching someone pinch hit for a pitcher and then pop a bunt out is too great to describe.

2.) Jason Tyner grounds out quickly -- which is fortunate, because nobody likes a long ground out.

3.) Rodrieguez up next and grounds out to Tony Womack, who quickly retires the side. Yes, I did snarl as I typed "Tony Womack."

Bronson Arroyo trots of the mound, proud owner of a new RedsZone conspiracy theory: he only pitches well in even numbered innings.

Twinks still leading.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-25-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    What's the latest on whether or not he'll win the 5th spot in the rotation?
    This was in the local rags in Minn. today:
    "There's no doubt in my mind that he can come out of the bullpen and get a left-hander out," said Gardenhire, adding that he hasn't eliminated Liriano from winning a starting job.

I was wondering who chooses the intro on the innings. Only thing he's missing is some banjo music...
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I was wondering who chooses the intro on the innings. Only thing he's missing is some banjo music...
    Dueling, hopefully.

Great job Caveat.

Going to the lower half of the 4th, it's Guerrea/o into pitch.

1.) Adam Dunn hits, as Steve so brilliantly describes, an "At'em" ball to the first baseman for the first out. Adam needs to make contact more. 1 out.

2.) Rich Aurillia at bat. Steve states that Rich "Just wants to pay" -- coming as a shock to anyone who hasn't stood around Rich for more than 20 seconds when he wasn't playing. Rich strikes out. Jerry Narron comments that "He's just working his swing out" and then names Rich Aurillia new team captain. 2 outs.

3.) Austin Kearns hits a little league home run out to center field for the 3rd out. Somewhere out in radioland, Ray King laughs maniacally and says "Fools! I have destroyed his career! muwahahaahaha!"

The freedom-hating Twinks 5, Reds 2.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-25-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Ok, so I really didn't really enjoy the announcers kissing Rich's rear-end during that AB. Ugh.

Thanks for the pbp Caveat. This way can find out what is happening.

Marcs Blog.
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
    Reds sign Sanchez

SARASOTA -- The Reds have decided to take a chance on Alex Sanchez.

The outfielder is known for carrying around some baggage, including the dubious distinction of being the first player busted by MLB's steroid policies last year, but he's got some serious talent. A .296 career hitter in the majors and .295 in the minors, plus plenty of speed.

The Reds have signed him to a minor league deal. Johnny Almaraz believes he'll be able to keep Sanchez in line -- he said his ability to speak Spanish probably will help, which makes sense -- and said he's made it clear to the player that the team will have "zero tolerance" for any misbehavior.
    I should have a full story up shortly on CincyPost.com.

In the family

SARASOTA -- Going through workouts on the back fields as we speak: Jason Standridge.

Probably a smart move on his part to accept the assignment. I imagine we'll see him in the majors at some point this year.

Into the 5th inning, Scott Hatteberg takes over for Rich Aurillia. Hatteberg's Value over Hated Player is 0, so I consider this move a wash.

Incidentally, this being an odd-numbered inning, I predict Bronson Arroyo will struggle based on the inordinately small sample size of 2 good innings and 2 bad innings.

1.) Kubel up first, taking a 3-2 count and hitting a bouncer back to Arroyo, who jumps high and makes the play. He throws out to Hatteberg. Marty notes that Bronson is wearing 61, the same number he wore for the Red Sox. Bronson said his 61 in Boston was bigger and nicer to read.

2.) Morneau up, and Tony Womack lets a ball go right between his legs for another error. His 4th of the spring. Words fail me.

3.) Glenn Williams hits a drive over Griffey's head, driving in another run. It's a double, and Arroyo is already on the cell phone, begging Krivsky to trade for Johnny Damon to man center field. 6-2 Twinks

4.) Rabe flies routinely out. Well, as routeinly as things can be with Arroyo.

5.) Bowen grounds out to Womack, who decides "The hell with it, I'll not suck on this play" and makes the out.

After 5.5, Twinks 6, Reds 2.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-25-2006 at 02:15 PM.

WHOA, NICE snag by Arroyo,

And a wonderful play on Mr. T. That being Womack.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Womack screws up again...(4th error of the spring)

6-2, Minnesota. Arroyo is scaring me.

Also, watching Jr. run out there in CF is painful.

Turn Off Ads?