Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burns makes the roster

Burns makes the roster

Just heard Narron telling Marty that unless something happens he sees Burns making the team. Narron commented that he works quick and throws strikes.

So who's out? Wagner or Belisle? I have to believe Coffey makes it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Burns makes the roster

gonna be a tough choice on who's out

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'll go with Belisle being out.....he didn't do very well last night.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Anybody have the backstory and profile on Burns? He's a bit old to just be in his second season but his numbers throughout the minors are solid, especially since converting to a reliever. I'm guessing he was a college guy who got injured early, but don't really have any idea.

Still, 128 K's, 19 BB in 110 IP in AA & AAA in 2004 and 2005 is hard to ignore. Perhaps Belisle goes to Lousiville and goes back to starting?

If I can answer my own question -- or let Marc do it for me...

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....603080313/1027
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-25-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Perhaps Belisle goes to Lousiville and goes back to starting?
    You could be right about Belisle. I can see the Reds polishing him up to be a starter again and sending him out in a package for more pitching come July 31.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan
    Just heard Narron telling Marty that unless something happens he sees Burns making the team. Narron commented that he works quick and throws strikes.

So who's out? Wagner or Belisle? I have to believe Coffey makes it.
    Or could the Reds offer the Braves a package of bullpen help for Thompson?

So, with Burns in, we have 5 arms for two spots. Coffey, Wagner, Shackelford, Robbins and Belisle.

And, with Wise hurt, we have (realistically) 4 reserves for 2 spots. McCracken, Cruz, Kata, and Ross (along with Aurilia, Freel, Valentin).

Does this sum it up, or are there others with a real chance?
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-25-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    So we have 5 arms for two spots. Coffey, Wagner, Shackelford, Robbins and Belisle.

And we have (realistically) 4 reserves for 2 spots. McCracken, Cruz, Kata, and Ross (along with Aurilia, Freel, Valentin).

After what Shack did last year I think he should be on the team.

You also forgot Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    So, with Burns in, we have 5 arms for two spots. Coffey, Wagner, Shackelford, Robbins and Belisle.

And, with Wise hurt, we have (realistically) 4 reserves for 2 spots. McCracken, Cruz, Kata, and Ross (along with Aurilia, Freel, Valentin).

This sums it up. I'll take Coffey and Wagner. And Ross and McCracken

Wise is hurt. Edited post makes this clear.

In a previous thread I thought Burns, Shack and Belisle would make it, with Wagner and Coffey starting in AAA. Right now, I tend to think Shack will start in AAA, no need for three lefty relievers, and he has had a spotty spring.
    I agree that based on last year, he should stay with the Reds, but the numbers make this tough.

But as among Wagner, Coffey and Belisle, it is really hard to figure. I wouldn't be shocked to see Belisle included in any trade. Or he could go to AAA to become a starter again. On the other hand, both Wagner and Coffey are unfinished products who possibly can be at AAA for awhile. Really hard to pick from this group.

A trade or two could resolve this, although I wouldn't expect either Wagner or Coffey to be in a trade.

As for position players, I think McCracken has the best shot. That leaves the proverbial "25th man." Hard to see keeping Kata with all the middle infielders. Kata's only shot, it would seem, is if Womack or Freel go in a trade.

Choice for last guy,then, is Cruz as LH pinch hitter, or Ross leaving Valentin as pinch hitter and backup first baseman. I tend to agree with prior poster that Ross will make it, Valentin then pinch hits and plays first base and catcher. But who knows.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-25-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Anybody have the backstory and profile on Burns? He's a bit old to just be in his second season
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....603080313/1027

This is all I could find on Burns...he is a bit old
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't see Kata going anywhere but Louisville because he has options.

I would think that Coffey & Belisle stays and Wagner goes to Louisville with Shack.

I would also think that those roles could be reversed if April starts off slow.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I can't see belisle not making it. He was solid last year, is young, and actually has the stuff to be a good pitcher. I'd cry if he went to Lousville and Rick White made the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I don't see Kata going anywhere but Louisville because he has options.
    Are you certain abut this? I thought the reason he was on waivers was becasue he was out of options.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    Are you certain abut this? I thought the reason he was on waivers was becasue he was out of options.
    According to the Reds press notes the following players on the 40 man roster have options remaining:

Pitchers:
    Belisle
    Burns
    Chick
    Coffey
    Dumatrait
    Germano
    Gosling
    Hammond
    Harang
    Mercker
    Milton
    Ramirez
    Shackelford
    Wagner
    White
    Williams

Catcher:
    Perez

Infielders:
    Aurilia
    Bergolla
    Encarnacion
    Kata
    Olmedo
    Votto
    Womack

Outfielders:
    Denorfia
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Kearns

And before anyone gets clever, a player with 5 years Major League experience can't be optioned down without his consent, so don't think your favorite whipping boy can just be banished to Louisville!

Turn Off Ads?