Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bagwell to have surgery - out for the season? out forever?

Bagwell to have surgery - out for the season? out forever?

ESPN link

"I may never play again," he said. "It's been 15 years with the Astros. I have to do what's best for me, what's best for the Astros and best for baseball."

The 37-year-old Bagwell, perhaps the most popular player in franchise history, spent the spring in a contentious battle with the team while he tried to prove he could still play despite a chronically injured right shoulder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bagwell to have surgery - out for the season? out forever?

If you can't throw a baseball, you probably shouldn't play the game.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Too bad I have always liked Bags.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

The only reason he showed up for spring training was to draw his check. He knew he could not play.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    The only reason he showed up for spring training was to draw his check. He knew he could not play.
    I couldn't disagree more.

The guy is a warrior. He had to give it one last go to see if he could do it again. Not to mention that he seemed like he could hit a little bit when he came back last year. Maybe he thought the offseason would allow his surgery to heal and he could return to form?

I can't think of another non-Red in the last 15 years I have more respect for and have enjoyed watching more than Jeff Bagwell.

Baseball is worse off without him.

Unfortunate end to an excellent career. Unless he winds up as a DH somehow.
    "Man, what would we ever do without water? We'd like....famish or something."

His $ is guaranteed-Why would he need to show up?

Quote Originally Posted by HTownRedsGuy
    His $ is guaranteed-Why would he need to show up?
    It's not guaranteed if he retires. The Astros wanted him to retire, because they knew he could not play. Someone is going to get screwed and it is not going to be Bagwell because he would not do the right thing and retire. Heck, in my opinion, he should not have been on the World Series roster. He could not contribute, 2 hits in 11 AB's. He deserved to be on the bench, but not on the roster. If he refuses to retire the Astros have to pay him 17 MILLION this year. The Astros are going to file an insurance claim saying he is to injured to play. Either way, the Astros or an insurance company is going to get screwed out of 17 million dollars.

He made 18 million last year with only 100 at bats, 39 games. How much money is enough? At what point are your hurting your team? Loyalty goes both ways...right?
    Last edited by George Foster; 03-26-2006 at 10:20 PM.

It's not guaranteed if he retires. The Astros wanted him to retire, because they knew he could not play. Someone is going to get screwed and it is not going to be Bagwell because he would not do the right thing and retire. Heck, in my opinion, he should not have been on the World Series roster. He could not contribute, 2 hits in 11 AB's. He deserved to be on the bench, but not on the roster. If he refuses to retire the Astros have to pay him 17 MILLION this year. The Astros are going to file an insurance claim saying he is to injured to play. Either way, the Astros or an insurance company is going to get screwed out of 17 million dollars.

He made 18 million last year with only 100 at bats, 39 games. How much money is enough? At what point are your hurting your team? Loyalty goes both ways...right?
    No, no no....it's a contract. It's guaranteed.

He might play. He might retire. He might grow back his ZZTop beard. The Marlins might move to Las Vegas. California might drift off into the Pacific Ocean. But one thing's for certain: the Astros are paying Jeff Bagwell $17.5 million. Whether he can play, can't, retires, or is deemed medically unfit. It's guaranteed money.

The only question is: will the insurance company reimburse the Astros for that money? That's why they filed the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by tts1stros
    No, no no....it's a contract. It's guaranteed.

He might play. He might retire. He might grow back his ZZTop beard. The Marlins might move to Las Vegas. California might drift off into the Pacific Ocean. But one thing's for certain: the Astros are paying Jeff Bagwell $17.5 million. Whether he can play, can't, retires, or is deemed medically unfit. It's guaranteed money.

The only question is: will the insurance company reimburse the Astros for that money? That's why they filed the claim.

Are you crazy? If you retire the contract is void. Under your logic I can sign a 5 year deal and then retire and be paid for five years right? What if I'm put in prision? Under your logic I'm still drawing a check...right?

Sorry George, while agree there are players who would show up to collect a check, Bagwell just isn't one of them. There are few players as respected in the game as he is, and I think the only reason he tried to play is because he wanted to play. He's borederline HoF, the most revered player in the history of the Astros, including Nolan Ryan and Jimmy Wynn and Jose Cruz etal, and he just simply would not disprespect the game or his team for the sake of a paycheck.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Sorry George, while agree there are players who would show up to collect a check, Bagwell just isn't one of them. There are few players as respected in the game as he is, and I think the only reason he tried to play is because he wanted to play. He's borederline HoF, the most revered player in the history of the Astros, including Nolan Ryan and Jimmy Wynn and Jose Cruz etal, and he just simply would not disprespect the game or his team for the sake of a paycheck.
    Absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I would love to agree with you but the evidence is otherwise. as I stated in the above post. He did not help the club at all last year and made 18 million. The Astros organization loyally gave him a roster spot on the post-season team. He only played in 39 regular season games and 100 AB's. He could not play last year, what makes him think he can play this year? The shoulder has showed little if any improvement. He had a great career, he was a class player. He should do the right thing and walk away...retire. Let the Astros spend that money elsewere. Over the last 10 years the Astros have gave him 122 million in salary (thebaseballcube.com)

Nobody knows how the Bagwell situation will play out this season, however, IMO he's the greatest first baseman in National League history (at least for another six or seven years when by that time some dude in St. Louis might have sometime to say about it). Not only that, but I'd say Bagwell's the greatest first baseman the game has ever seen since WWII when Jimmie Foxx retired, and I'd also say that Bagwell is third all-time overall at first base behind only Lou Gehrig and Foxx.

If he fails to make Cooperstown on the first ballot, or fails altogether, it'll be an absolute crime and travesty. To top it off, he's been one of the classiest players the game has seen this generation.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    Nobody knows how the Bagwell situation will play out this season, however, IMO he's the greatest first baseman in National League history (at least for another six or seven years when by that time some dude in St. Louis might have sometime to say about it). Not only that, but I'd say Bagwell's the greatest first baseman the game has ever seen since WWII when Jimmie Foxx retired, and I'd also say that Bagwell is third all-time overall at first base behind only Lou Gehrig and Foxx.

If he fails to make Cooperstown on the first ballot, or fails altogether, it'll be an absolute crime and travesty. To top it off, he's been one of the classiest players the game has seen this generation.
    I kind of agree with most of that, but I have always suspected he was on the juice. he lost a ton of weight a couple of years ago. either way, he's a Hall of Famer IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?