Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Donations for GAC and family

Re: Donations for GAC and family

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Send me the new address and I'll send my dear sweet little Adam.

Oops I just checked my PM's and see that you already sent it to me. I'll try to wrap up Adam and send him on his way this weekend.
    I still have my Dunn #44 hat. I went back into the house and found the Dunn T-shirt, and the old-time baseball T-shirt that Chip had gotten me, in the dresser that was still standing (that poor T-shirt sure has been through alot hasn't it?). I asked my wife to wash them as many times as it would take to get the smoke smell out of them; but it's a no go. I still wanted to wear them, but she won't let me.

So when I come down this year, a new #44 T-shirt is on the agenda. Some things have to take precedence in this life.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hey, GAC. Try some Febreeze on the shirt... and/or oxyclean. One or both may get the smoke out.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Hey, GAC. Try some Febreeze on the shirt... and/or oxyclean. One or both may get the smoke out.
    Thanks TB, but my wife tried oxyclean and numerous other products, and said it didn't work. I think there was a conspiracy afoot, and she was simply looking for an excuse to finally get rid of some of my T-shirts, which were getting pretty worn.

I had this hair brush that I have used since before we were married. I loved that brush, and you can't find that style anymore. My wife always hated it. She said afterwards - "Well, at least that #$$%@ hair brush is finally history!"

But when I was digging around in the ruins days later I found it in the charred mirror cabinet. Laughingly I took it and showed it to my wife - "Honey! Look what found. It's a miracle!"

She made me finally put it to rest.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Restoring appearance and removing smoke odor from clothing

Soiled clothing is cleaned by a variety of laundry methods; neither can all fire damaged clothing could be cleaned equally as well by the same method. Sort fire damaged clothing as you would sort any soiled clothing by the recommended care method (found on the permanent care label), color and degree of soil.

Some clothing may require dry cleaning because of fiber content, dyes used in the fabric or incompatibility of fabrics such as linings and face fabrics. In some cases, these articles may be subjected to a careful wetcleaning process, even though they are labeled dry clean only. This can be done only with professional expertise when it is felt that the garment will not be wearable unless another process is used.

Sort washable clothing by color (light/medium/dark) and soil (light/moderate/heavy). The majority of clothing items will probably be cottons, polyesters, and polyester/cotton blends. These can be most effectively renewed by using a warm water wash with either a non-built liquid detergent (EraTM) or a low phosphate powder detergent and a liquid chlorine bleach (AllTM and CloroxTM). This recommendation is based on the research findings of Cloud, Bondurant and Keith at Louisiana State University in their study of removing smoke damage from apparel fabrics.

The tests were carried out under laboratory conditions and were evaluated after an equivalent of five home launderings. Therefore, it may not be possible to reach the desired state of color restoration or whiteness after one or two washings. But visibly smoke damaged clothing should be restored after five launderings.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Got your package today Heath. I really don't know what to say. There is some fantastic stuff there. I hope these were all duplicates.... especially the Reds glasses, and the Morgan and Perez bobblehead dolls. WoW! I don't know which book to read first - "Cincinnati and the BRM", or "When All The World Was Browns Town" (this one is must reading ).

I can't express my thanks enough.

I've got one room in this house that is fast becoming a Red's shrine.

Thanks again Heath.
    Its not replacing what you had, but hopefully can add something to your collection. Glad to hear you got it and everything hopefully in one piece.

Enjoy.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Okay. I just got the package today that was put together by TeamMorris, which included a check for the donations many of you made to my family, along with various Red's memoribilia. My family cannot thank you all enough. It will be put to good use. My wife just started back to work on Monday, after taking a 30 day leave to help take care of the family and various dealings.

We are pretty much settled in our temporary housing, and our routines are as much back to normal as can be. Right now we are all fighting the flu (I love these farm houses ).

My wife and I have pretty much got the ball rolling on the rebuilding process. We have pretty much done all that we can do, as far as sending in estimates for the rebuild to insurance and filing our content claim. We are now in the waiting process. We hope to get the site cleanup (which has been approved) rolling in the next couple of weeks.

We are looking to put a Unibilt home on there. We have been pretty diligent looking at all our options, and there is one model that we really like, and the company out of Wapakoneta that builds them comes highly recommended. We've talked with their reps numerous times in the last couple of weeks. The homes are built in Vandalia, Ohio, and if we can place our order by the end of April then we could possibly be in it by August.

I again want to sincerely express my deep thanks and appreciation to all that have reached out to my family during this time. You are all a very special group of friends and extraordinary individuals. May God bless.

Greg

Turn Off Ads?