Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Narron describes what the 2006 lineup could look like

Narron describes what the 2006 lineup could look like

Flexible lineup? The Reds fielded what appeared to be close to their Opening Day lineup against Minnesota. It looked like this -- second baseman Tony Womack, shortstop Felipe Lopez, center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, left fielder Adam Dunn, first baseman Rich Aurilia, right fielder Austin Kearns and LaRue.
    One exception -- Scott Hatteberg is expected to get the bulk of time at first base over Aurilia. However, Narron felt the order could be adjusted several times throughout the season.

"Right now, Griffey is going to hit third. Other than that, I can't say where guys are going to hit," Narron said. "Lopez might hit one, two or probably fifth, sixth or seventh. Mostly one or two. Womack and [Ryan] Freel are going to hit one, two or eighth. Dunn is going to hit three, four or five. Kearns is going to hit anywhere from two to eight. LaRue probably two, seven and eight.

"You want me to keep going? If Javy [Valentin] is in there, there's no telling where he'll hit."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron describes what the 2006 lineup could look like

Narron will single-handedly make this offense worse with his lineups. Tony Womack first? Adam Dunn fifth? Aurilia or Hatteberg protecting Dunn? Kearns seventh?

Dunn should bat either second, third, or fourth in the lineup - and Rich Aurilia or Scott Hatteberg should absolutely not bad directly behind Dunn. He would be pitched around every time. I prefer Adam batting third with Griffey behind him. Encarnacion should bat second, fifth or sixth.

If the Reds fail to make a trade or sign a better 1B like a Shealy or Carlos Pena, and Hatteberg/Aurilia are the first basemen, then they should bat eighth.

My ideal lineup with a trade:

2B Ryan Freel
    SS Felipe Lopez
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    RF Austin Kearns
    1B Ryan Shealy
    C Jason LaRue/Javier Valentin

Without a trade:

2B Freel
    SS Lopez
    LF Dunn
    CF Griffey Jr.
    3B Encarnacion
    RF Kearns
    C LaRue/Valentin
    1B Hatteberg/Aurilia
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-25-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Flexible lineup? The Reds fielded what appeared to be close to their Opening Day lineup against Minnesota. It looked like this -- second baseman Tony Womack

Old Red Guard Reject

Narron sounds like the first country bumpkin to fall of the haystack when they interview him. I have these flashbacks from the other day of him calling Adam Dunn "Dunner" with what it sounded like was a big wad of Mail Pouch in his jaw.

Even without injuries, I think Narron is going to use a whole lot of lineups. He is going to mix and match so much he will make Bob Boone look like Sparky Anderson. Especially when Aurilia starts complaining about not getting enough starts. He has a lot of guys who can play more than one position. That is not necessarily a bad thing but when you have too many, you kinda have to prove to people that these guys are versatile. You will see guys like Dunn and Jr. coming out of the game in the late innings for defensive purposes. Maybe not Jr. so much but I would wager we see it with Dunn quite a bit. Also, he seems to favor alternating righties and lefties in the lineup. So we will probably see Dunn bat 5th most of the time if Jr. is playing.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

ARGH! Flexible lineup?!
    That sounds like the famously fallen flat '03 Red Sox Bullpen-by-committee.

Dunn batting 5th and leading off a ton of innings.

Jr batting 3rd because he's "JR"

Lopez buried because "we need to have power in front of the pitcher"

Womack/Aurilia/Batman/Hatteberg batting 1 or 2 because "contact high in the order is WOOO"

Freel getting few at bats at all cause he's too valuable.

The Reds are gonna suck no matter what the lineup but it's a major bummer to see junk lineups at the start of the game, a starting 9 of the best players 100 out of 162 games would be a nice thing to see, but alas..we have old school.
    Go Gators!

nothing surprising. The only thing that will save the Reds from a healthy dose of Womack and Hatteberg is if Krivsky removes them.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    nothing surprising. The only thing that will save the Reds from a healthy dose of Womack and Hatteberg is if Krivsky removes them.
    I doubt that would even do much, Narron would probably start whatever retreads replace them.
    Go Gators!

Lopez better not be hitting 6th or 7th.
    Hitting 4th and having Dunn behind him will do wonders for EE's development.
    Bat Kearns behind Dunn.
    Griffey should bat 3rd.
    Womack will be the OD 2nd baseman, but I get the feeling he will end up like Jimenez last year.

Lopez
    EE
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Kearns
    Hatteberg
    Larue
    Womack

(LaRue would bat 6th, but I split up the lefties.)

If those are the 8 starters, then thats my lineup.

The only thing about the batting order is Womack should never bat anywhere but 8th. Outside of that is just isn't that big of a deal although I would always bat Dunn 4th.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Freel getting few at bats at all cause he's too valuable.

The Reds are gonna suck no matter what the lineup but it's a major bummer to see junk lineups at the start of the game, a starting 9 of the best players 100 out of 162 games would be a nice thing to see, but alas..we have old school.
    That about sums it up
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

It just wrenches my gut with this guy as the manager. Unfortunately, I think we're in for a lot more illogical thinking from "baseball guy". The thing that makes me so upset is that talented guys are going to suffer because of Narron's foolish moves. If Encarnacion stumbles in the least, we're likely to see a lot more of Aurilia. Freel is not going to get a starting job when he should. We've already seen Denorfia sent down in favor of guys like Sanchez and McCracken. It's just sad to see that these talented guys are going to lose opportunities because of Narron's foolish obsession with veteran wash outs. I like to see young talent blossom instead of suffer. I really wish Narron felt the same way.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

i misss (of all people) Ray Knight....
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    "Lopez might hit one, two or probably fifth, sixth or seventh. Mostly one or two."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Can anyone explain what variations in the universe would cause any given day to be the one when Lopez must hit fifth, and another day the one when he must hit sixth?

Then explan why he said "probably fifth, sixth or seventh" and "Mostly one or two"?

Turn Off Ads?