Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would someone be able to tell me who this old Reds player is??

djnjas

Would someone be able to tell me who this old Reds player is??

I have a question regarding who this old Reds player is. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would someone be able to tell me who this old Reds player is??

I'm guessing that's Bill Bonham

Hey woy - not to undermine you but I think it's Ross Grimsley....sans afro....

Ross is between Pete Rose (left) & Don Gullett (right)

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

djnjas

Thanks for your help.

Heath I think you are right.

I always liked Ross Grimsley...Then again I liked Roger Nelson as well.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Hey woy - not to undermine you but I think it's Ross Grimsley....sans afro....

Ross is between Pete Rose (left) & Don Gullett (right)

Ross and Gully...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Looks like Grimsley!

I have seen that picture before. It is in some of the old yearbooks and media guides, which I happen to collect. It is indeed Mr. Grimsley.

Charlie Hustle AKA Maynard G Krebbs.

Not that we choose to remember the bad trades that Bob Howsam made in the 1970's since there were so many great ones, but this was a clunker. Grimsley was the Reds #3 starter from 1971-1973 and was traded for Merv Rettenmund after the 1973 season. Grimsley was a flake, and he and Sparky never got along at all. A former BRM player once told me that Grimsley would shake off Johnny Bench about 25% of the time, which was an unpardonable sin with Sparky. The Reds in 1973 had 4 very good LH pitchers in Gullett, Grimsley, Fred Norman and Tom Hall, and had they beaten the Mets in the playoffs like they should have would have beaten the A's in a rematch of the 1972 WS.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    Not that we choose to remember the bad trades that Bob Howsam made in the 1970's since there were so many great ones, but this was a clunker. Grimsley was the Reds #3 starter from 1971-1973 and was traded for Merv Rettenmund after the 1973 season. Grimsley was a flake, and he and Sparky never got along at all. A former BRM player once told me that Grimsley would shake off Johnny Bench about 25% of the time, which was an unpardonable sin with Sparky. The Reds in 1973 had 4 very good LH pitchers in Gullett, Grimsley, Fred Norman and Tom Hall, and had they beaten the Mets in the playoffs like they should have would have beaten the A's in a rematch of the 1972 WS.
    The year after we traded Grimsley, he won 18 games for Eastern Div winning Baltimore Orioles. In 1978, he won 20 games for the Expos, still the single season record for that franchise. He won 37 games for the Reds over three seasons and finished with 124 wins, having won 10 or more in eight different seasons. Merv made a good coach for several teams, but he wasn't that good for the Reds. Another steal for the O's, no?

Funny thing I found on another web site about the Grimsley card with the Indians. Here's what it allegedly says on the back:

“In 1979, League officials were notified when Ross Grimsley made a formal request to the public address announcer to be introduced as “the White Oscar Gamble”. His request was denied.”

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    IIRC Grimsley angered the Reds brass by also having an agent represent him, that sort of thing drove Howsam mad and caused him to trade more than one or two good players... all rather than accept that the business of the game was changing with regards to player relations.

It's funny how one man could have such enlightened vision regarding one aspect of the game and be so blind regarding another.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    IIRC Grimsley angered the Reds brass by also having an agent represent him, that sort of thing drove Howsam mad and caused him to trade more than one or two good players... all rather than accept that the business of the game was changing with regards to player relations.

It's funny how one man could have such enlightened vision regarding one aspect of the game and be so blind regarding another.
    Yes, I don't think the Reds signed their first free agent until about 1977 and I'm can't even remember who it was (I thought it was Bob Bailey, but we traded for him from Montreal). Dave Parker was our first significant Free Agent signing, as I recall, and that was 1983 (looking at Parker's career info, I had forgotten that we traded him to Oakland for Jose Rijo and Tim Birtsas). And we traded away Pete Rose because of pending free agency, again as I recall.

Turn Off Ads?