Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Positive developments this Spring?

Positive developments this Spring?

So I'm trying to look for some positives this spring training, this will possibly give me hope for the season.

I don't have stats to back it up but just some general impressions;
    • Eddie E has had a huge spring, this should take any doubt as to whom will be starting at 3B
    • Harang has looked very good, no awful outings that I can recall and has thrown a bunch of zeroes on the board too
    • The trade of Wily Mo for Arroyo, if nothing else it means there are now three pitchers who don't give me the "throwing up in my mouth" feeling when they take the mound
    • Young bullpenners seem to be getting the job done, while Merker and Weathers have struggled, it seems as though Coffey, Belisle, and Wagner have all looked sharp

Help me out with some more.....
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Positive developments this Spring?

EE. I really don't see anything else at this point.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Claussen, Dunn, Lopez JR and Kearns haven't torn anything.
    Go Gators!

Krivsky starting to jettison all the junk DanO had been jealously guarding like he was golum.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The boats starting to turn against the current, means we're going to lose some more as we go, but it's got me feeling less hopeless.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

got alil captain in u?

i agree pedro everybody is already callin the pena for arroyo trade a bad one and the man has made one start in spring training it's way to early to tell yet everybody needs to calm down this team will not be as bad as everybodyt hinks it will suprise many of us on here and in the media we will be in contention for the nl central crown the piratres are over hyped same with the brewers cardinals lost alot astro's aint any younger and the cubs are just the cubs they find a way to lose it everyyear

Claussen has had a very nice spring. I really think he's our number 2, even if Arroyo takes that turn. His last outting of last season pushed his era over 4. I think he would be getting a little more respect if that hadn't happened. He has really pitched well for an extended period of time now.

Since the end of last season, the OFers the Reds have acquired to potentially replace Pena (or whichever other OFer may have been traded) has given Narron a wide selection.

They all could have stunk up ST, but instead several are making it quite interesting as to who goes north.

Some OF spring OBP to date:

Denorfia .680

Wise 1.058

McCracken .795

Abad .971

Buchanan 1.40

On the face of it they all appear to be 4th outfielder candidates, but if any of them prove to be more valuable -- not just at bat but considering their defensive assets also -- as a starter than Hatteberg, then Dunn should go back to 1B, whether he's comfy there or not.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I also agree about the point about the young bullpen arms.

I'm all for Krivsky flipping Merker, Hammond & Weathers for whatever usable parts he can get. Let Shack, Wagner, Coffey, Burns and Belisle work it out themselves. Bring up a David Shafer or a Carlos Guevara if they can handle it to give the pen an even different look.

Griffey is swinging the bat well, as is Kearns.

1B worries me more than 2B (though I wish they'd pick a guy and stick with him). I don't like the platoon idea at first (seems the Reds have a lot of platooning going on).

First base probably sees 80% of the balls hit (if not more). I think it's important that the Reds have a player who owns that position and becomes very good at it.

I hope Jerry Narron picks his starting lineup and keeps it set, except for days off. But I just know he'll keep penciling other guys in to give them playing time. IMHO, take a lesson from winning teams... they don't do that.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Griffey is swinging the bat well, as is Kearns.

1B worries me more than 2B (though I wish they'd pick a guy and stick with him). I don't like the platoon idea at first (seems the Reds have a lot of platooning going on).

I like platoons for the most part. Reds just don't seem to platoon the right guys.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Milton's last outing and the guys trying to grab the last spot going north have played very well.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Turn Off Ads?