Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2006 breakout prospects?

2006 breakout prospects?

Who are your candidates to have breakout seasons down on the farm this year? We need a few to step it up and improve the depth of the farm. Aside from the obvious names like Travis Wood, Homer Bailey, and Jay Bruce, who are some others you think will have that breakout season and establish themselves as top prospects?

Past Breakout Players

2005-Chris Denorfia
    2004-Richie Gardner, Thomas Pauly, Todd Coffey
    2003-Edwin Encarnacion
    2002-Bobby Basham

You can pick as many as you want, but I'm gonna go with two pitchers and two hitters.

Pitchers

Zach Ward - Has the classic power pitchers frame at 6-4, 230-pounds. I love his combination of size and power stuff. He has a fastball that he can dial up to 96 mph and he mixes in a power curve/slider that has been clocked as high as 87. I believe his changeup is a work in progress, however, if he can develope into just an average pitch then he could be something special, IMO. His 2006 destinition has yet to be determined but it wouldn't surprise me to see him start in the Florida State League.

Sam Lecure - Another draft pick from the 2005 class. Lecure works in the low 90's and has three solid pitches that he can throw for strikes. Control is his strong point. While his stuff is not dominant, he is considered polished and could move through the system quickly. I see a little bit of Richie Gardner in Sam.

Other candidates: Wirfen Obispo, Tyler Pelland, Travis Chick.

Hitters

Chris Dickerson - For the second straight season I will choose Chris Dickerson as a breakout candidate. The talent is there for Chris to develop into a very solid all-around player. From reports I've read, his defense is already major league ready. On the offensive side, Dickerson possesses good speed, a solid eye at the plate(150 career walks in 996 atbats, or 1bb/6.64 atbats), and his body frame(6-4 212) suggests the potential to add power is still there. Is this the guy he puts it together and develops into a poor man's Curtis Granderson or will he leave me hanging again?

Joey Votto - I had a hard time deciding on this one but I decided to go with Votto. Votto had a breakout season in 2004 but greatly regressed in 2005, probably due to the Florida State League being a pitcher's park. The great Miguel Cabrera also struggled in his stint in the FSL to the tune of .274/.333/.421 with only nine homeruns, albeit Cabrera was only 19 compared to Votto being 21. Back to the point, I picked Votto because I think he will bounce back in the Southern League this year and again establish himself as possibly the future 1B of the Reds.

Other candidates: B.J. Szymanski, Jordan Belcher.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-26-2006 at 03:24 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: 2006 breakout prospects?

Hitters

Adam Rosales - Had a huge year under the radar last year. This kid will take a few giant leaps forward in '06 and establish himself as the Reds SS of the future.

Ryan Hanigan
    - If they follow the ladder - Hanigan should start the year at AAA platooning with Dane Sardinha, and he's done nothing but hit since he was an undrafted catcher coming out of college. Three straight years he's hit at three different levels (Low A, High A & AA). He really doesn't have any power, but has big time OBP numbers - deserves a fair shot at AAA to see if he can supplant Sardinha.

Starters

Travis Chick - The Padres overpromoted him from Low A to AA in 2005, and the Reds simply kept in that same vein and he was overmatched. This after he dominated in Low A. I see big things for him in Chattanooga the 2nd go 'round.

Elizardo Ramirez - I've been pushing this guy for a while now, no sense in stopping now. He just turned 23, and may finally be at the right age/development level. He was very hittable when promoted - and he may still end up as a full time reliever in the bigs, but I think this is year he takes that next step forward.

Reliever

David Shafer - Big things will come out of this kid this season. His walks went up when he made the jump from High A to AA midway last year, but he still had monster K numbers and he's got low 90's heat to go with some good offspeed stuff. If he starts off big he could be in Cincy by Sept.

Carlos Guevara - Keep riding that Screwball as far as it takes ya.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 03-26-2006 at 04:06 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pitchers, I am taking Homer Bailey and Sam Lecure as far as pitchers go. I think playing in Sarasota in the FSL will really help Baileys numbers. Lecure performed very well without pitching competetively the year before, I think he will put up some very good numbers.

Hitters, I will have to agree with you on Votto. Being that he is coming off a season where he showed he still had power in a pitchers league and a "take a strike" mentality, getting away from both will likely help improve his numbers across the board. I cant really say Rosales will break out, the guy did hit .321 and .328 with 14 home runs last year. The hitter I hope can breakout is BJ Szymanski. To do that though I think he is going to have to stay healthy which seems to have been a problem with him in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Hitters

Adam Rosales - Had a huge year under the radar last year. This kid will take a few giant leaps forward in '06 and establish himself as the Reds SS of the future.

Ryan Hanigan
    - If they follow the ladder - Hanigan should start the year at AAA platooning with Dane Sardinha, and he's done nothing but hit since he was an undrafted catcher coming out of college. Three straight years he's hit at three different levels (Low A, High A & AA). He really doesn't have any power, but has big time OBP numbers - deserves a fair shot at AAA to see if he can supplant Sardinha.

Starters

Travis Chick - The Padres overpromoted him from Low A to AA in 2005, and the Reds simply kept in that same vein and he was overmatched. This after he dominated in Low A. I see big things for him in Chattanooga the 2nd go 'round.

Elizardo Ramirez - I've been pushing this guy for a while now, no sense in stopping now. He just turned 23, and may finally be at the right age/development level. He was very hittable when promoted - and he may still end up as a full time reliever in the bigs, but I think this is year he takes that next step forward.

Reliever

David Shafer - Big things will come out of this kid this season. His walks went up when he made the jump from High A to AA midway last year, but he still had monster K numbers and he's got low 90's heat to go with some good offspeed stuff. If he starts off big he could be in Cincy by Sept.

Carlos Guevara - Keep riding that Screwball as far as it takes ya.
    Agree Agree Agree

good topic, gonna have to think this one out and post a reply soon. will say i dont think the lizard will break out. not a big fan of his

I have a feeling about Tyler Pelland.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?