Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tigers release Carlos Pena

Tigers release Carlos Pena

Come on Krivsky, make us proud. Pena is a good gloveman and has posted an OPS over .800 the last two seasons while hitting 45 homeruns. Sign him!

Tigers release first baseman Pena

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - Carlos Pena was unconditionally released Sunday by the Detroit Tigers after the first baseman struggled during spring training.

Pena batted .160 with one home run in 50 at-bats in exhibition games.
    He split last season between Detroit and Triple-A Toledo. He hit .235 with 18 homers in 79 games with the Tigers and .311 with 12 homers with the Mud Hens.

Pena signed a $2.8 million, one-year contract that wasn't guaranteed and will receive $688,525 in termination pay.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5445586
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tigers release Carlos Pena

I'm all for this signing as well, if for no other reason than defense.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I sure do hope that we get him
    Let's make some noise!

The Reds will not sign him. Krivsky's not interested in first basemen, he's looking for pitchers. How dare him...
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Carlos Pena post-2005 All Star Break

.286/.345/.662-1.007 OPS

15 homeruns 133 atbats.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Everything I've read suggests that his swing is just way too long to compete against good major league pitching. He's a dangerous mistake hitter, but is totally overmatched against anybody with velocity. He does have solid plate discipline, but still strikes out a lot because of low contact rates.

Given our lack of organizational depth at 1B (AJ Zapp our only 1B in AAA?) I think he'd be a solid pickup. However, at 28 it doesn't look like he's ever going to add bat speed and best case scenario is something along the lines of a .250/.340./.480 type line.

His defensive reputation as he came up from the minors does not appear to have been borne out in his major league performance.

.181/.307/.283

3 homeruns 127 at bats
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-26-2006 at 12:19 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I agee

Sign him!!

He got the Austin Kearns treatment last year went he got sent down, and it really lit a fire under him. I think he's worth a shot.

Please. Please. This would pull Mr. Krivsky out of my doghouse. It's a no-brainer.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Pena does not have a quick bat. There were times last season when he could not handle even an average major league fastball thrown over the heart of the plate. But throw him an offspeed pitch without much on it, and Pena will murder it. He has good power and will drive the ball out of the park to right field. Pena also has a pretty good concept of the strike zone. He does not swing at many bad pitches and will draw walks. However, he swings through a lot of fastballs most power hitters drive with authority.

The report on Pena per scouts inc.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Please. Please. This would pull Mr. Krivsky out of my doghouse. It's a no-brainer.
    Out of your doghouse? Are you serious?

He's been here for 2 months and the team has yet to play a game that's meaningful, yet he's already in people's doghouses? My goodness.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Is he somebody chambliss could work with? or possiblly send down to AAA and work on his swing if he was signed?

I'll take Carlos Pena for the block of Scott Hatteburg.

There is no comparison. None.

Scott Hatteburg was signed for one reason. Let's keep him at that reason.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

We also got Rich Aurilia to play lst base. Why do we need more?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Pena will go to the team that provides him the best opportunity to play and succeeed. With our need, and ballpark, I suggest that he could succeeed better here than most anywhere else. We would also only have to pay him the minimum, as the Tigers will pay the rest.

Turn Off Ads?