Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: UK Basketball Thread

  1. #1
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    UK Basketball Thread

    Can someone talk about who we've got coming in next year? (in terms of recruits) Links would be awesome as well if anyone has any good ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    I bring the goods.

    Commits.


    Perry Stevenson

    Derrick Jasper

    Jodie Meeks

    Michael Porter

    Still on the radar.

    Phil Jones

    Tyler Smith
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-27-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    Any of them potential superstars?

  5. #4
    "A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,299

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    WVRed:
    Thanks for the links! Interesting reading/viewing. The link for Tyler Smith however, took me to the page for Phil Jones again.

    Thanks,
    ---RedRoser

  6. #5
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    I love seeing the 6' 4" PG. We haven't had size at that position in so long...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #6
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    Looks like we might end up with Phil Jones... kid looks like a potential stud in the post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  8. #7
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    Gotta think Perry Stevenson will start next year... if Randolph sticks around, that could make for a nice 5-5 presence down low... Bobby at the 3... all of a sudden, we aren't so undersized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #8
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser
    WVRed:
    Thanks for the links! Interesting reading/viewing. The link for Tyler Smith however, took me to the page for Phil Jones again.

    Thanks,
    ---RedRoser
    Fixed.

    To answer your question TeamSelig, I think Tubby is going back to his old ways of recruiting. Instead of going after the McDonalds All Americans that Kentucky loves, he is going after players that he can develop over time. Cliff Hawkins, Gerald Fitch, Kelenna Azubuike, Bobby Perry, and Chuck Hayes were never big time players coming out of high school, but they were Tubby type players who thrived under him.

    I can't see Tubby rushing Stevenson into the starting lineup. He is so rail thin and undersized(6'9, 190). With no perimeter game, he is either going to have to develop one or bulk up.

    IMHO, I don't see Michael Porter finishing his four years here. I think Tubby used him to try and get a package deal with Adrian Oliver(who committed to Washington). He doesnt look to have much talent, so unless Tubby knows something we dont, I see Porter taking Adam Williams place on the bench.

    2007 will be interesting, we are in the running for Dante Jackson out of Ohio. I think we will also be looking at Patrick Patterson from Huntington as well. Don't look for Mayo and Walker to be arriving in Lexington anytime soon, but I think we will get a good haul.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #9
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,298

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    I am hoping by the end of next season to early the next season, Perry Stevenson will start looking like the second coming of Tyrus Thomas. Stevenson has been a shot blocking and rebounding machine in high school and that is exactly what UK needs. Just needs some more muscle and he should be fine.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  11. #10
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Fixed.

    To answer your question TeamSelig, I think Tubby is going back to his old ways of recruiting. Instead of going after the McDonalds All Americans that Kentucky loves, he is going after players that he can develop over time. Cliff Hawkins, Gerald Fitch, Kelenna Azubuike, Bobby Perry, and Chuck Hayes were never big time players coming out of high school, but they were Tubby type players who thrived under him.

    I can't see Tubby rushing Stevenson into the starting lineup. He is so rail thin and undersized(6'9, 190). With no perimeter game, he is either going to have to develop one or bulk up.

    IMHO, I don't see Michael Porter finishing his four years here. I think Tubby used him to try and get a package deal with Adrian Oliver(who committed to Washington). He doesnt look to have much talent, so unless Tubby knows something we dont, I see Porter taking Adam Williams place on the bench.

    2007 will be interesting, we are in the running for Dante Jackson out of Ohio. I think we will also be looking at Patrick Patterson from Huntington as well. Don't look for Mayo and Walker to be arriving in Lexington anytime soon, but I think we will get a good haul.
    Why even recruit Michael Porter in the first place? More Brandon Stockton clones are not what we need... not saying that that's what this guy is, but his upside appears to be very small.

    Let's stop wasting scholarships on players that can't contribute on the level that we need them to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  12. #11
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    I am hoping by the end of next season to early the next season, Perry Stevenson will start looking like the second coming of Tyrus Thomas. Stevenson has been a shot blocking and rebounding machine in high school and that is exactly what UK needs. Just needs some more muscle and he should be fine.
    High school and college are two different things. If anything, Stevenson looks like the second coming of Tayshaun Prince, except with no shooting ability.

    I wouldnt compare him to Brandon Stockton. Stockton at least contributed when Tubby did play him. I think Porter was used to try and get his buddy Adrian Oliver as a package deal. It didnt work, and we are stuck with Porter.

    At least Adam Williams had some potential upside. He is the son of St Albans head coach Tex Williams, who has produced a PG who went on to play for Florida and did a pretty decent job(Brett Nelson).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    206

    Re: UK Basketball Thread

    I think that Porter is getting a raw deal. He has the reputation of being a smart point guard with a 3 point shot. He may surprise you. I think that he will end up being at least a serviceable backup point guard.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25