Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UK Basketball Thread

UK Basketball Thread

Can someone talk about who we've got coming in next year? (in terms of recruits) Links would be awesome as well if anyone has any good ones...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UK Basketball Thread

I bring the goods.

Commits.

Perry Stevenson

Derrick Jasper

Jodie Meeks

Michael Porter

Still on the radar.

Phil Jones

Tyler Smith
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-27-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Any of them potential superstars?

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

WVRed:
    Thanks for the links! Interesting reading/viewing. The link for Tyler Smith however, took me to the page for Phil Jones again.

Thanks,
    ---RedRoser

I love seeing the 6' 4" PG. We haven't had size at that position in so long...

Looks like we might end up with Phil Jones... kid looks like a potential stud in the post

Gotta think Perry Stevenson will start next year... if Randolph sticks around, that could make for a nice 5-5 presence down low... Bobby at the 3... all of a sudden, we aren't so undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser
    WVRed:
    Thanks for the links! Interesting reading/viewing. The link for Tyler Smith however, took me to the page for Phil Jones again.

Thanks,
    ---RedRoser
    Fixed.

To answer your question TeamSelig, I think Tubby is going back to his old ways of recruiting. Instead of going after the McDonalds All Americans that Kentucky loves, he is going after players that he can develop over time. Cliff Hawkins, Gerald Fitch, Kelenna Azubuike, Bobby Perry, and Chuck Hayes were never big time players coming out of high school, but they were Tubby type players who thrived under him.

I can't see Tubby rushing Stevenson into the starting lineup. He is so rail thin and undersized(6'9, 190). With no perimeter game, he is either going to have to develop one or bulk up.

IMHO, I don't see Michael Porter finishing his four years here. I think Tubby used him to try and get a package deal with Adrian Oliver(who committed to Washington). He doesnt look to have much talent, so unless Tubby knows something we dont, I see Porter taking Adam Williams place on the bench.

2007 will be interesting, we are in the running for Dante Jackson out of Ohio. I think we will also be looking at Patrick Patterson from Huntington as well. Don't look for Mayo and Walker to be arriving in Lexington anytime soon, but I think we will get a good haul.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I am hoping by the end of next season to early the next season, Perry Stevenson will start looking like the second coming of Tyrus Thomas. Stevenson has been a shot blocking and rebounding machine in high school and that is exactly what UK needs. Just needs some more muscle and he should be fine.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Fixed.

To answer your question TeamSelig, I think Tubby is going back to his old ways of recruiting. Instead of going after the McDonalds All Americans that Kentucky loves, he is going after players that he can develop over time. Cliff Hawkins, Gerald Fitch, Kelenna Azubuike, Bobby Perry, and Chuck Hayes were never big time players coming out of high school, but they were Tubby type players who thrived under him.

I can't see Tubby rushing Stevenson into the starting lineup. He is so rail thin and undersized(6'9, 190). With no perimeter game, he is either going to have to develop one or bulk up.

IMHO, I don't see Michael Porter finishing his four years here. I think Tubby used him to try and get a package deal with Adrian Oliver(who committed to Washington). He doesnt look to have much talent, so unless Tubby knows something we dont, I see Porter taking Adam Williams place on the bench.

2007 will be interesting, we are in the running for Dante Jackson out of Ohio. I think we will also be looking at Patrick Patterson from Huntington as well. Don't look for Mayo and Walker to be arriving in Lexington anytime soon, but I think we will get a good haul.
    Why even recruit Michael Porter in the first place? More Brandon Stockton clones are not what we need... not saying that that's what this guy is, but his upside appears to be very small.

Let's stop wasting scholarships on players that can't contribute on the level that we need them to.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    I am hoping by the end of next season to early the next season, Perry Stevenson will start looking like the second coming of Tyrus Thomas. Stevenson has been a shot blocking and rebounding machine in high school and that is exactly what UK needs. Just needs some more muscle and he should be fine.
    High school and college are two different things. If anything, Stevenson looks like the second coming of Tayshaun Prince, except with no shooting ability.

I wouldnt compare him to Brandon Stockton. Stockton at least contributed when Tubby did play him. I think Porter was used to try and get his buddy Adrian Oliver as a package deal. It didnt work, and we are stuck with Porter.

At least Adam Williams had some potential upside. He is the son of St Albans head coach Tex Williams, who has produced a PG who went on to play for Florida and did a pretty decent job(Brett Nelson).

I think that Porter is getting a raw deal. He has the reputation of being a smart point guard with a 3 point shot. He may surprise you. I think that he will end up being at least a serviceable backup point guard.

Turn Off Ads?