Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loria to spend Marlins opening day with San Antonio officials

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Loria to spend Marlins opening day with San Antonio officials

Surely the location of the game plays a factor, but interesting, nonetheless

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...orts-headlines

COURTING SAN ANTONIO

Since they'll be in Texas, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and team President David Samson have invited San Antonio leaders to join them in Houston for the April 3 opener between the Marlins and Astros.

The invitation was extended to Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, who is leading the effort to lure the Marlins to San Antonio, and his wife; Mayor Phil Hardberger and his wife; and several county commissioners.

"He'll be happy to sit and watch the game with Jeffrey Loria and talk to him about the potential for San Antonio being a home for the Marlins," Hardberger spokesman J. J. Saulino said.

Wolff submitted a stadium financing proposal to the Marlins earlier this month.

Staff writers Sarah Talalay and Juan C. Rodriguez contributed to this report.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Loria to spend Marlins opening day with San Antonio officials

Didn't San Antonio build the Alamo Dome for an NFL team and then one never showed up? I just wonder if they will spend the cash to build another stadium
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Didn't San Antonio build the Alamo Dome for an NFL team and then one never showed up? I just wonder if they will spend the cash to build another stadium
    south Florida certainly isn't. I think contraction is still a possibility and certainly something the owners want to use as a bargaining chip.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If the Marlins are coming to SA, they have less than a month to decide to do so.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...b/3800325.html

San Antonio sets May 15 deadline

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said he is imposing a May 15 deadline for the Florida Marlins to commit to moving to San Antonio.

Wolff told the San Antonio Express-News in a story posted on the paper's online edition that he would fax a letter with the deadline to David Samson, president of the National League club.

"We have received the letter, but we have no comment," Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello said.

Our lovely mayor out here in portland is pissing all over our bid to get a team.

Glad I didn't vote for the putz.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Our lovely mayor out here in portland is pissing all over our bid to get a team.

Merry Christmas Mr Potter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Merry Christmas Mr Potter!!!
    I had a pretty good feeling that any mayoral candidate whose plan for solving portland's problems involved getting a bunch of hippies together and brainstorming wasn't going be pro baseball.

What a yutz.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I had a pretty good feeling that any mayoral candidate whose plan for solving portland's problems involved getting a bunch of hippies together and brainstorming wasn't going be pro baseball.

What a yutz.
    More Community Outreach Corners and Bike Workshops!!!

I think I read that Portland and Vegas are declining to pay for a stadium. It's kind of hard to compete with San Antonio's $200 million stadium offer when you don't ante up. But that has also given our county judge the leverage to demand a decision in such a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    More Community Outreach Corners and Bike Workshops!!!

don't forget the trees!

ok... that's probably not fair to the lorax.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I think I read that Portland and Vegas are declining to pay for a stadium. It's kind of hard to compete with San Antonio's $200 million stadium offer when you don't ante up.
    we had a deal to have one built and the legislation is still in effect but the mayor is trying to get it shut down.

one of the native oregon tribes offered to build a stadium for gaming righst in portland, but the governor turned them down. I don't see what the big deal is .. you can't trip in this city without falling on a stripper, a sex shop, or a liquor store. Not sure what additional harm gambling will add.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I think I read that Portland and Vegas are declining to pay for a stadium. It's kind of hard to compete with San Antonio's $200 million stadium offer when you don't ante up. But that has also given our county judge the leverage to demand a decision in such a short time.
    But the stadium they propose is open air. No retractable roof. Is that a good idea in San Antonio? They need to spend the extra money and go with the retractable roof.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    But the stadium they propose is open air. No retractable roof. Is that a good idea in San Antonio? They need to spend the extra money and go with the retractable roof.
    Their pitch is that that Marlins should chip in the extra $100M for a roof. $200M pushes the county to the upper limit of its hotel-motel tax.

To chip in any more would mean taxing county residents. The sales tax here in the county is close to its upper limit, and as you undoubtedly know in your part of the state, property tax increases are about as popular as bird flu.

Texas gets by without a roof.
    Go Gators!

If they move to San Antonio, do they move into the NL Central?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?