Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone actually believe this one?

Anyone actually believe this one?

This came from rotoworld.com. It was in the Reds team report.

"It looks like Edwin Encarnacion will hit fifth against right-handers and maybe fourth against lefties. 90-100 RBI would be within reach if he stays in the heart of the lineup all season long."

Where the hell did this come from??
    Matta = Really good

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone actually believe this one?

He's been hitting in the middle of the order quite a bit this spring. That's probably where they came up with that conclusion. I think he'll be hitting 6-8 personally.

It all depends on how he does. Against Liriano on Saturday Narron had him batting 4th between Jr and Dunn.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Having him in the opening day wasn't even sure a month ago.

I'm thrilled wherever he's hitting. Just as long as the "veteran precense" muck stays where it belongs on the bench.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I trust Encarnacion to break up Junior and Dunn right now more than I do Austin Kearns.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

When you look at our lineup and the "need" to split Junior and Dunn against lefties, I really think this makes sense. At this point, do you have more confidence in Kearns or Encarnacion?

I just wish Narron would consider Lopez leading off followed by Kearns at the top the of the order rather than giving Womack those ab's when he starts.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    He's been hitting in the middle of the order quite a bit this spring. That's probably where they came up with that conclusion. I think he'll be hitting 6-8 personally.
    Well, if you can believe what Narron said during pregame yesterday, he's going to be in the heart of the lineup all year... Narron said "8th is a tough place for a young player to break through." or something to that effect. I can't wait to see what they guy can do, he looks like another allstar on the rise. We have been so fortunate to watch Dunn, Felipe, and now EdE. Quite possibly 3 of the brightest young stars in the game. If Lopez and Edwin continue what they are doing that is.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Why do we need to break up the lefties? I don't agree with it at all, the other team will just leave a shutdown lefty in to pitch around the right in between, good way to bury one of the 2 best players on the team.

Like that EE has earned respect before only given to solid vets
    Go Gators!

Seems to me that against RH pitchers you'd want to see:

EE
    Griff
    Dunn

This would obviously protect him, as pitchers would come after him to try to get him out. If Freel or Lopez was on in front of him, both could easily score on a double.

Griff/EE/Dunn makes more sense against LH so that things are more balanced, while EE still has some protection in Dunn.

Just a thought.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Either spot he is going to get pitches he can rip, this is going to be a big breakout year.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Why do we need to break up the lefties? I don't agree with it at all, the other team will just leave a shutdown lefty in to pitch around the right in between, good way to bury one of the 2 best players on the team.

Like that EE has earned respect before only given to solid vets
    Three year splits:
    Dunn
    vR .259/.398/.565
    vL .220/.339/.462

Griffey
    vR .293/.378/.588
    vL .247/.337/.494

and for what it's worth -- sample size and all that jazz:
    Kearns
    vR .247/.329/.471
    vL .240/.369/.371

Encarnacion
    vR .246/.338/.477
    vL .226/.294/.418

Dunn has perhaps the most pronounced split -- you'll notice that Dunn versus lefties is pretty much the same as Kearns/Encarnacion versus righties. That said, you can reasonably expect both of those guys to improve this year, whereas Dunn is probably less likely to make big strides.

I think a reasonable argument can be made to bat Dunn 5th versus lefties - especially in light of the new studies which show that by and large, managers are doing more harm than good by stacking the top of the lineup (the runs you gain in the first inning are less than the runs you lose in the 2nd).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Three year splits:
    Dunn
    vR .259/.398/.565
    vL .220/.339/.462

Griffey
    vR .293/.378/.588
    vL .247/.337/.494

and for what it's worth -- sample size and all that jazz:
    Kearns
    vR .247/.329/.471
    vL .240/.369/.371

Encarnacion
    vR .246/.338/.477
    vL .226/.294/.418

Dunn has perhaps the most pronounced split -- you'll notice that Dunn versus lefties is pretty much the same as Kearns/Encarnacion versus righties. That said, you can reasonably expect both of those guys to improve this year, whereas Dunn is probably less likely to make big strides.

I think a reasonable argument can be made to bat Dunn 5th versus lefties - especially in light of the new studies which show that by and large, managers are doing more harm than good by stacking the top of the lineup (the runs you gain in the first inning are less than the runs you lose in the 2nd).
    Well, with Narron's thoughts in mind, we are going to be starting each inning our "regular" lead-off hitting sitting the bench after his 'productive' out.

We might want to look at the above named individuals to look at their 2-out hitting averages.

Assuming Womack is playing, my lineup would look like:

vR
    Lopez
    Kearns
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Valentin
    Hatteberg
    Womack

Versus lefties you flip Encarnacion and Dunn and play LaRue over Valentin (LaRue would also start some games versus righties).

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Assuming Womack is playing, my lineup would look like:

vR
    Lopez
    Kearns
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Valentin
    Hatteberg
    Womack

Versus lefties you flip Encarnacion and Dunn and play LaRue over Valentin (LaRue would also start some games versus righties).

In contrast to Narron's which will be ...

Womack
    Lopez
    Jr.
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    Kearns
    Hatteburg
    Catcher of the Day

Compare and contrast. Then cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    In contrast to Narron's which will be ...

Womack
    Lopez
    Jr.
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    Kearns
    Hatteburg
    Catcher of the Day

Compare and contrast. Then cry.
    That makes me want to hurl...

Turn Off Ads?