Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bengals free agent thread

Bengals free agent thread

Here's some news...

Evidence is mounting the Bengals have more than a passing interest in Joey Harrington. Plus, the agent for defensive tackles Sam Adams and Grady Jackson said the Bengals would like to get one of them...
    The Detroit News reported there are indications the Bengals have expressed an interest to the Lions and that means a possible trade.
    The Bengals are also talking to the agents for the Rams’ Jamie Martin and the Ravens’ Anthony Wright. After opening negotiations Friday, Tom Mills, Martin’s agent, said he didn’t think a deal would be done before Thursday when the Bengals contingent is expected to return to Cincinnati from the meetings.
    from bengals.com.

I'd be thrilled to get Harrington as a back up. And how awesome would it be to sign Sam Adams AND LaVar Arrington? I know we won't get all those guys, but a guy can dream...
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals free agent thread

Another update:

(Marvin Lewis) did acknowledge the Bengals have interest in Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington, that he’s mulling a move to a 3-4 base defense, and that the club plans to add a defensive tackle in the draft or “later on.”
    It’s a longshot that Arrington is going to show up and play with that reported price tag of $18 million guaranteed, but Lewis denied that he’s the only guy who wants him at Paul Brown Stadium. Still, the talks won't get going until the number drops. Although Arrington has been described, at times, as difficult, he had his best year under Lewis with 11 sacks in 2002 for the Redskins.

“I think so,” Lewis said when asked if Arrington would be a fit. “We’ve talked about it. He likes to be in the eye of the storm. He likes that. He relishes that. I love that. In my opinion, he’s a great talent.”

The signing of Arrington wouldn’t mean the Bengals would switch to a 3-4, but Lewis admitted again that he hasn’t decided if the Bengals are going to switch out of their base 4-3 in an effort to revive the league’s 28th-ranked unit.
    Link

I'm biased being a Kentucky guy, but why not give Tim Couch a shot if he's healthy. Would be much cheaper than Harrington and would make some extra money for the franchise at camp in Georgetown.

I like Arrington, but don't think that he will be here because of the price tag. I think that they will sign Adams or Jackson.

Harrington? I dunno about that one. Maybe he could learn a thing or two as Palmers back-up but I'd still be skeptical of signing him.

Adams would be a great addition, but I don't see Arrington coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed
    I'm biased being a Kentucky guy, but why not give Tim Couch a shot if he's healthy. Would be much cheaper than Harrington and would make some extra money for the franchise at camp in Georgetown.

I like Arrington, but don't think that he will be here because of the price tag. I think that they will sign Adams or Jackson.
    Couch is coming off major reconstructive surgery, and the Bengals need someone to start in case Palmer doesnt progress.

Harrington did throw for over 3000 yards year before last with 19 TD's and 12 INT's. Couch threw for the same in his best year with 17 TD's and 21 INT's.

I'm a Kentucky guy too, but I don't think Couch will ever see the NFL again. If he couldnt make it with the Packers, best hope he has is in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

From The Enquirer:
    Joey Harrington remains under contract with Detroit, but Lions management has given him permission to seek a trade, and the quarterback will visit Cincinnati today.

Harrington was expected to make a quick visit Tuesday night to Miami.

The Bengals are searching for a quarterback who could start in case Carson Palmer's surgically repaired left knee prevents him from opening the season.

Palmer and Harrington both are represented by agent David Dunn, who has a productive relationship with the Bengals and coach Marvin Lewis. The Bengals would have to trade for Harrington, and the Lions, wanting to dump his contract, probably would accept a sixth-round pick. Harrington then would rework his contract with his new team.

Kansas City and Seattle also are interested in possibly trading for Harrington, who has started 55 of his 58 NFL games. He has 60 touchdowns and 62 interceptions and has thrown for more than 10,000 yards.

He started 11 of 12 games last season for the Lions, throwing for 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and more than 2,000 yards. Harrington became embroiled in a quarterback controversy in Detroit with Jeff Garcia.

Lewis said Tuesday the Bengals might not add another quarterback until May. The team has been focused on former Rams backup Jamie Martin and Anthony Wright, formerly of the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed

Couch got his chance. He was brought in late last season for a tryout and went away without a contract.

This is from Bengals.com

Bengals re-sign Navies

The Bengals have signed LB Hannibal Navies, one of the team’s unrestricted free agents, to a one-year contract.

Navies (6-3, 245; Colorado) is an eighth-year NFL player in 2006. He joined the Bengals as a free agent late in the 2005 preseason and played in every game after being inactive for the season opener. He ranked second on the special teams in total snaps (266) and ranked fifth in special teams tackles (13).

Navies is the fifth veteran free agent signed by Cincinnati since the league year opened on March 3. Previously signed from other teams were unrestricted free agent S Dexter Jackson of Tampa Bay and free agent WR-KR Antonio Chatman, last with Green Bay. Previously signed from among Bengals unrestricted free agents were CB Rashad Bauman and S Anthony Mitchell.

Today's Enquirer:
    Joey Harrington was in Cincinnati on Wednesday, and the Bengals have moved to the front of the line to acquire the Detroit Lions quarterback.
    Harrington could be Bengals property if they agree to trade a second-day draft pick (Rounds 4-7). Harrington's salary demand is believed to be $3 million for a one-year contract.
    Link: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603300371/1066

News from Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson:
    The Sam (Adams) talks aren’t dead. In fact, they’ve picked up some, but who knows? As long as LaVar carries around that big number, Willy Mo Pena's five tools have a better shot at being in Marvin Lewis' garage Opening Day....

C’mon. You guys know the answer. Marvin is going to draft and develop the kids. The big money is going to the offensive line. If they can get Sam at “their price,” they will, but they’re also looking in the draft. The question is going to be if Florida State’s Brodrick Bunkley is available at No. 24 and if guys like Gabe Watson are worthy of being a late first-rounder.

The best way to counter The Carson Factor isn’t spending a lot of time and money on a backup quarterback, but getting your defense better in a hurry. They’ve decided not to deviate from their philosophy in order to stack the defense.

...They refuse to overpay in a free agent market where they perceive the majority are pretty similar or inferior to what they already have. Could that cost them one or two non-Carson games that keep them from the playoffs?

This is the very difficult line the Bengals and all other teams have to walk. Balancing fiscal responsibility with the short windows teams have available for Super Bowl runs.

But that is Marvin’s point in all this free agency stuff. Spend young and smart, develop kids like Shaun Smith, and that window is going to be there most seasons, instead of shutting down in cap hell like the 49ers, Titans, and Jets.

Woo-hoo! Looks like Sam Adams will be wearing stripes soon!

Link: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5171

Update from Bengals.com

Herring released
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    March 31, 2006

Posted: 3:25 p.m

In a move that had been expected since the Dexter Jackson signing nearly three weeks ago, the Bengals terminated the contract of safety Kim Herring on Friday to end his injury-plagued run in Cincinnati. Herring, who signed a five-year deal before the 2004 season, played in just 12 games with 10 starts.

Herring, who turns 31 the week of the opener, has missed two of the last three seasons because of injury. He missed all of last year after hurting his shoulder in the Aug. 26 preseason game in Philadelphia.

The release of Herring, scheduled to make $1.1 million this year, figures to save the Bengals close to $1 million under the salary cap.

Jackson, a Tampa Bay import, figures to start at strong safety with Madieu Williams coming off a season-ending shoulder injury of his own getting the snaps at free safety.

Kevin Kaesviharn and special teams guru Anthony Mitchell look to be Nos. 3 and 4 at safety now. Herana-Daze Jones and Tony Bua, picked off waivers from Miami last year, head into their second NFL seasons after stints on the practice squad. Cornerback Keiwan Ratliff can also play safety and the Bengals will probably draft one.

Ifeanyi Ohalete, who started opposite Kaesviharn last year when injuries hit the starters, is a free agent and doesn’t look to be back.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5173

Jackson and Williams replacing Herring and Kaesviharn is a huge upgrade, IMO.

I expect the defense to improve dramatically this year.

should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Jackson and Williams replacing Herring and Kaesviharn is a huge upgrade, IMO.

I expect the defense to improve dramatically this year.

should be fun!

"Ifeanyi Ohalete, who started opposite Kaesviharn last year when injuries hit the starters, is a free agent and doesn’t look to be back. "

Thats my favorite part of the article.

Today's Bengals' Free Agent update:

LaVar Arrington (From the Palm Beach Post):
    Linebacker LaVar Arrington, perhaps the most notable, has yet to sign with any of the four teams that remain interested in him. He likely will end up with the Dolphins, Giants, Jaguars or Bengals, agent Carl Poston said.
    Joey Harrington (From the Miami Herald):
    Harrington's agent has been told by the Bengals and Dolphins that a contract offer is forthcoming, according to a source close to Harrington. That is important because the player must agree to restructure the remaining two years of his current contract for the Lions to be able to trade him.
    Would LOVE to get Arrington. I just don't see it happening. As for our backup QB...my first choice out of all the guys who've been mentioned (Wright, Maddox, Martin, etc.), would be Harrington. I hope it happens but I don't feel real confident about that either.

Turn Off Ads?