Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bengals free agent thread

Re: Bengals free agent thread

God help us.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, it is better than Jamie Martin or Joey Harrington.

I'm going to go on record as saying that signing Wright was a good move. Wright has had games in the past where he has looked more than competant. Remember, he didn't have the best WR corp to throw to, or the best offensive system in Baltimore when he did play. Despite that, he still had some pretty decent games. I like this signing.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

There's no guarantee that he'll be the starter until Carson returns.

Seeing Krenzel or Johnson start wouldn't surprise me.

More Bengals news today. This is not a free agent signing but the Bengals have extended Chad Johnson's contract and now have him through 2010 with an option for 2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2415464

If the NFL is poised to crack down on Chad Johnson's end zone choreography in 2006, with its recently implemented rules aimed at curtailing touchdown celebrations, the Cincinnati Bengals star wide receiver is better prepared now to handle any of the fines that he might incur.

The three-time Pro Bowl performer and consummate showman, one of the most explosive playmakers in the league at any position, on Thursday signed a new contract with the Bengals, ESPN.com has learned. The lucrative deal includes a one-year extension, through the 2010 season, and an option for the Bengals to extend the contract through 2011, if they so desire.

In essence, by restructuring the remainder of Johnson's existing contract, which was set to run through the 2009 campaign, the Bengals created a six-year deal with a total value of $35.5 million.

"In terms of 'new money,' and just being unique from the standpoint of being able to do something for a player who still had four years left on his [existing] contract, it's really monumental," said agent Drew Rosenhaus, who was hired by Johnson a year ago to upgrade his contract "As long as I've been doing this, I've never been able to get an extension like this, basically because of the time remaining on the contract. It's historical. And it's a testament to Chad, and how well he's performed, and to Bengals management for the way they have handled this and the commitment they've made to him."

Under his existing contract, Johnson would have earned $5.75 million in 2006-2007 and the base salaries due him through 2009 totaled $12.15 million. The new contract will pay Johnson $16 million between this season and 2007 and, assuming the Bengals exercise the option for 2011, a total of $35.5 million. That's a whopping $10.75 million in "new money" for the extension portion of the contract.

Johnson will receive a $5 million signing bonus, a $250,000 reporting bonus, a $250,000 workout bonus and a base salary of $2.75 million for 2006. That base salary is the same as he was scheduled to make under his previous contract. In 2007, he is due a $3.5 million option bonus, a reporting bonus of $1.5 million, a $250,000 workout bonus and a $2.5 million base salary.

The base salaries for the balance of the deal are as follows: $3 million (for 2008), $4.5 million (2009), $5 million (2010) and $6 million (2011). There are workout bonuses of $250,000 in each of those seasons. If the Bengals do not exercise the option for the 2011 campaign, they must make Johnson a non-exercise payment of $3.5 million.

Earlier on Thursday, before signing the new contract, Johnson joked to ESPN.com that he was ready to deal with the rules against excessive end zone celebrations that league owners approved at the annual NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla, last month.

"Get yourself real close to the TV, because I'll have some good stuff planned," Johnson said, laughing. "I still plan to be the greatest entertainer in the league."

The five-year veteran, selected by Cincinnati in the second round of the 2001 draft, certainly has developed into one of the NFL's greatest playmakers. The former Oregon State star has posted three straight seasons with 90-plus receptions and four straight campaigns with over 1,000 receiving yards. In 76 appearances, 63 of them starts, Johnson has 379 receptions for 5,556 yards and 34 touchdowns.

It looks like the Bengals beat Rosenhaus to the punch and said "we gotta make this guy happy" and did. Katie and Marvin are quite a team. I would imagine this is also advantageous to the cap in future years as a motive for the Bengals to be proactive in their "generosity."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Chads deal isnt as big as what people (ESPN) make it out to be.

Heres salaries for some of the "top" receivers in the NFL:

Chad Johnson - 6 Years, $35.5 Million
    Hines Ward - 4 years, $27.5 Million
    Marvin Harrison - 7 Years, $67 Million
    Reggie Wayne - 6 Years, $40 Million
    Torry Holt - 7 Years, $42 Million
    Joe Horn - 6 Years, $42 Million
    Muhsin Muhammad - 6 Years, $30 Million
    Randy Moss - 8 Years, $75 Million

I'm just thrilled that we finally have a good team. The FO and the coaching staff really seem to be getting the job done. I love the direction that the team is heading. With Marvin at the helm, I think the Bengals are going to be good for a very long time.

Who Dey!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Why do I see the CJ and CP long-term partnership resulting in two more Bengal-busts in Canton?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Why do I see the CJ and CP long-term partnership resulting in two more Bengal-busts in Canton?
    'Cause you should. Those dudes are legit.

It's good to see quite a few fellow Bengals' fans on here. I've been a die-hard fan for a very long time. I stuck with the team through the decade of darkness and I'm ready to start reaping some karmic rewards for my loyalty, as I'm sure you all are.

I think we have a lot of good times ahead for us. Once Uncle Mike realized his way of running things wasn't working, hired Marvin, and turned a lot of responsibility over to Katie the franchise has done a 180 in the right direction. They are locking up the cornerstones on offense and stockpiling young talent on D all the while with an eye to the cap so they don't turn into the next Titans or 49ers.

They need to turn their attention to Levi and Steinbach now and try to get them extended. Sad to say but, with Chad's new deal, I think unless Big Willie will agree to a pretty big hometown discount, he may not be here after next year.

Good post, BuckWoody...I'm guessing you're a Buckeye fan too!

That's me, man, Reds, Bengals, and Buckeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Good post, BuckWoody...I'm guessing you're a Buckeye fan too!

That's me, man, Reds, Bengals, and Buckeyes!
    You bet! Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes...all day, every day.

Steinbach working on deal
    Bengals lineman says focus now is on the money side

BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Starting offensive lineman Eric Steinbach said Wednesday that his agent and the Bengals have agreed on the length of a possible contract extension.

"But right now we're talking the money situation," said Steinbach, the starting left guard and one of four starting offensive linemen whose contracts will expire after the 2006 season.

Steinbach is a three-year starter.

But Jack Bechta, his agent, painted a different picture.

"We can't agree on anything," Bechta said. "We are nowhere. The good news is we're talking. Both sides are going to continue to talk."

Steinbach started 15 games in 2005 at left guard. He started Game 16 at left tackle in place of injured Levi Jones. Steinbach played center for much of the Houston game after starter Rich Braham and backup Larry Moore were injured.

"You try to keep it separate," Steinbach said when asked if the business side interferes with the game. "Football and business are two different things when you're negotiating contracts. You can throw the whole team thing into it, but the next guy, when he's negotiating a contract - it's all about the money, really.

"I would love to stay in Cincinnati, I'm happy here, so we'll just see. Things like this take time."

Steinbach, starting tackles Willie Anderson and Jones and starting center Braham all can be unrestricted free agents in March.

Steinbach, who turned 26 last month, might be the most valuable of all the Bengals' offensive linemen because of his versatility and age.

He could be switched to left tackle because of his natural quickness and athleticism. He is effective as a pulling guard. He is entering the final season of his rookie deal and will earn a $460,000 base salary. Second NFL contracts are traditionally the largest for players.

"It's your turn," Steinbach said of players trying to score a second contract
    LINK

Bengals sign Eric Henderson: (bengals.com)

The agent for Georgia Tech defensive end Eric Henderson has confirmed several published reports that his client is on his way to Cincinnati after sifting through calls from an estimated 20 teams following the draft.

Kevin Conner said Monday that a major selling point for his client is that he’s the only college free agent defensive end the Bengals signed on a team that isn’t overloaded at the position.

Conner admits he’s “still scratching his head” over why Henderson didn’t get drafted last month. Some possibilities include his “tweener” size (6-2, 265 pounds), his injury history (seven missed games the last two seasons), and the fact he couldn’t run at the NFL scouting combine because of a foot injury he suffered during workouts.

Yet here’s a four-year starter who finished as Tech’s all-time leading tackler for loss with 59.5 and fourth in career sacks with 25.

“The thing teams like about him is that he’s been a productive guy in the ACC and has constantly gone up against the top tackles,” Conner said.

Ourlads Scouting Services, which had him ticketed for the third or fourth round, ranked Henderson ahead of the Bengals’ third-round pick, USC defensive end Frostee Rucker, observing he’s a “run through type hitter that’s an impact player. Instinctive and competitive player that takes good pursuit angles and finishes the play. Can leverage block and get push. If he stays healthy, he can be a force.”

It depends who you talk to. His profile on NFL.com says Henderson “is a risky draft pick because undersized defensive ends usually fail without explosiveness.”

The Bengals apparently saw something. Head coach Marvin Lewis emphasizes college production and they have to like the fact he got his degree in business management back in December.

“The guy knows how to rush the passer,” Conner said. “When he puts his hand on the ground, it’s magic.”

Since Henderson is a CFA, he’s grinding for either the last end spot or a spot on the practice squad.

Going by past history, the Bengals are going to keep four ends and they now have Rucker, Henderson, Jonathan Fanene, Justin Smith, and Robert Geathers. Plus, tackle Bryan Robinson can play some end.

Turn Off Ads?