Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Josh Hancock

Re: Josh Hancock

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    You are assuming that Hancock is a decent reliever. He hasn't proven that yet.
    White has pretty much proven he isn't. Watch for White's HR rate to normalize from last year(back to 1.0+ for 9IP) and his ERA to jump well over 5.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You are assuming that Hancock is a decent reliever. He hasn't proven that yet.
    He has pitched well enough in ST for the Cardinals to consider giving him a spot in the bullpen. It appears likely that both Hancock and Wainwright will make the team as relievers. If he doesn't pitch good enough, then they can send him to AAA. Jeff Nelson is available if the Reds are interested in another old reliever with good career stats. I would prefer both Hancock and Nelson over Rick White.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    He has pitched well enough in ST ......
    9 innings in spring training can't undo a lifetime of mediocrity.

FYI, I note Hancock got lit up today for 3 runs in 2/3rds of an inning. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. Players eventually reach their level over a larger sample size.

But yeah, I'd rather have Hancock over White or Nelson too!!!

I've never liked White, especially when he pitched about 1 month of near perfect ball for the Cards way back when. They had no right to get that kind of production.

And could Nelson get a LH hitter out today? I doubt it. The Cards already have too many pitchers who are either LOOGY (Rincon) or ROOGY (Looper). They certainly didn't need Nelson.

He would only have satisfied Larussa's need to use 6 pitchers in an inning.

9 innings in spring training can't undo a lifetime of
    First off, I agree with this statement. Nelson was unhittable in ST also. I don't put any weight in ST statistics, but they are necessary in some cases when players are competing for jobs. I do put weight in regular season statistics, and Hancock did well last year even though it is a small sample size. I get the feeling that some of you think that I am arguing that Hancock is going to be a great reliever. I'm not, but I think he will be a servicable reliever, and for the cost....he was a great pickup for the Cardinals. I think the Reds could use him in their bullpen this year. I also think he will have a better year than Rick White.

Superstar gave up a 2-run HR to Barrett today. 6.75 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    He would still be a better option than the junk we have in our bullpen right now.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I had flipped over to that right before it happened...best part was this from the Cards' announcers discussing Hancock (before the HR):

"Hancock was an absolute gift from the Reds."

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    He would still be a better option than the junk we have in our bullpen right now.
    Hancock at 6.75 ERA or Hammond at 189.00 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Hancock at 6.75 ERA or Hammond at 189.00 ERA

I choose:

(c) Neither.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    I had flipped over to that right before it happened...best part was this from the Cards' announcers discussing Hancock (before the HR):

"Hancock was an absolute gift from the Reds."

Indeed.
    The gift that keeps on giving
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Dang, and I thought he would go the entire season without giving up any home runs.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    Dang, and I thought he would go the entire season without giving up any home runs.
    THe fact that the Cards are using a 6.75 ERA reliver (who was relaesed by the Reds) in an important role speaks volumes.

It's shouting " Looper sucks".

They call me "chef"

Hancock with another non-stellar performance tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    Hancock with another non-stellar performance tonight.
    Maybe it's because he is fat?
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    I disagree. Hancock was often quiet good COMPARED to most everyone on our staff. Releasing him was in my opinion stupid.

Show me one problem with a guy that has a 1.93 ERA last year. Yes I know he didn't pitch much but when he did he did very well. How about a starter for our staff that goes 5 and 1 with a 4.45 ERA in 2004 when we couldn't win a game to save our lives. Do you remember the team we ran out there the last month and a half in 2004? Hancock was the one surprise. Frankly I am in the minority I know but some of Krivs moves have been puzzling. Releasing a pitcher the first day of camp instead of working his butt off seems like one of those puzzles.

2004 CIN NL 5 1 12 9 0 0 2 0 54.7 60 34 27 14 25 31 1 5 251 2 0 4.45 4.01 90 1.555
    2005 27 CIN NL 1 0 11 0 0 0 5 0 14.0 11 4 3 1 1 5 0 0 54 0 0 1.93 4.44 230 0.857

OK since someone else started a thread about Hancock I thought I would go back and look at what was said in March and April about him. I haven't changed my mind one bit about this move and think that if Kriv hadn't been so quick to react that we could have saved some of our ammo that we gave to the Nats for a trade later this month. Don't get me wrong, I love most of Krivs moves since the Hancock move...I just like to go back and look at what others thought then and now what they think...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?