Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hancock

Re: Josh Hancock

On the other hand, the Reds need to explain to their fans why they cut loose a young reliever that pitched very well the last month of last season.
    Well they could start by saying, A. He's not young (28) and B. He pitched only 14 innings last year but in 2004 he pitched like crap for 60 plus and in 2003 he was pedestrian at best.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I just see it differently. I don't think it is Hancock that needs to save face. He has a job with a better team that is a favorite to make the playoffs every year. He could come out and say that he didn't lose the wieght that the Reds asked him to lose, and nobody in St. Louis would care. On the other hand, the Reds need to explain to their fans why they cut loose a young reliever that pitched very well the last month of last season. It's not like the Reds have an excess of good young pitchers. The Reds have every reason to save face. Hancock has a good chance to make the bullpen on a very good team. Why does he need to save face?

Anything that DanO did or anyone that DanO traded for is bad in many people's eyes. Hancock was DanO's pitcher like Aurilla is his hitter. I have already stated that in my mind the first move that Krivs made (dropping Hancock I think) was just plain stupid. I personally feel that most of the moves that he has made have been bad but so far he is in a honeymoon stage on this board. The season will start soon and I have a feeling that Arroyo might end up being Krivs Hancock.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I just see it differently. I don't think it is Hancock that needs to save face. He has a job with a better team that is a favorite to make the playoffs every year. He could come out and say that he didn't lose the wieght that the Reds asked him to lose, and nobody in St. Louis would care. On the other hand, the Reds need to explain to their fans why they cut loose a young reliever that pitched very well the last month of last season. It's not like the Reds have an excess of good young pitchers. The Reds have every reason to save face. Hancock has a good chance to make the bullpen on a very good team. Why does he need to save face?
    Well, he went to St. Louis and got in shape, so there seems to be some truth that he did not show up at Reds' camp fit as a fiddle. Plus, there's the media coverage of the reason for the Reds releasing him. Your average athlete would be embarrassed by such a situation, as he obviously was.

As for the Reds, notice you have not seen any more comments forthcoming from them since the cut. And while he will make the squad based on a good spring, I don't expect him to hang around long once the ST pyrite turns into powder. But then, who knows, maybe he'll have a Simontacchi year and Master Dave Duncan can put another feather in his cap.

Anything that DanO did or anyone that DanO traded for is bad in many people's eyes.
    Where's the list of the *good* MLB moves he made?

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Well they could start by saying, A. He's not young (28) and B. He pitched only 14 innings last year but in 2004 he pitched like crap for 60 plus and in 2003 he was pedestrian at best.
    Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP
    CIN NL 5 1 12 9 0 0 2 0 54.7 60 34 27 14 25 31 1 5

WP BFP IBB BK ERA *lgERA *ERA+ WHIP

251 2 0 4.45 4.01 90 1.555

I realize that you are the stats guy on this board and know a lot more than I do about this stuff so I would like your help explaining how this is crap.

I remember 2004 as a time that we had half of the team on the DL and guys like Tim Hummel were finishing out the season. We barely won a game it seemed like the last 2 months of the season yet Josh Hancock somehow came in and won 5 and kept us in every game. Yes he gave up a lot of homers but in our park everyone gives up a lot.
    TOTAL team age - 28.5 162 5.19 76 86 47 162 157 5 8 1443.7 1595 907 832 236 572 992 6451 74 54 3 55 77

Please understand that I don't disagree with you..I just don't know what you are talking about. I seriously felt that we had a chance to win every game that he started while EVERYONE else that pitched that year absolutely stunk.
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Well, he went to St. Louis and got in shape, so there seems to be some truth that he did not show up at Reds' camp fit as a fiddle.
    I don't remember him ever saying that he was fit. A lot of players don't report to camp fit as a fiddle. I remember Steve Kline usually came to camp overweight. He would always say that he used Spring Training to get into shape. At the time, I thought it was a really bad move for the Reds, but I think the Cardinals made a good move by giving him a chance. Only time will tell.

Where's the list of the *good* MLB moves he made?

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck.
    I'm not saying that DanO made a lot of good moves. As I have stated in other posts I feel that signing Randa, Aurilla, and Javier Valentin were good moves. In fact the Valentin move might have been his best move. His draft last year was at least a B after a lot of C and below drafts by this team. I'm just saying that in some peoples eyes every move by DanO was wrong and don't give him any credit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP
    CIN NL 5 1 12 9 0 0 2 0 54.7 60 34 27 14 25 31 1 5

WP BFP IBB BK ERA *lgERA *ERA+ WHIP

251 2 0 4.45 4.01 90 1.555

I realize that you are the stats guy on this board and know a lot more than I do about this stuff so I would like your help explaining how this is crap.

I remember 2004 as a time that we had half of the team on the DL and guys like Tim Hummel were finishing out the season. We barely won a game it seemed like the last 2 months of the season yet Josh Hancock somehow came in and won 5 and kept us in every game. Yes he gave up a lot of homers but in our park everyone gives up a lot.
    TOTAL team age - 28.5 162 5.19 76 86 47 162 157 5 8 1443.7 1595 907 832 236 572 992 6451 74 54 3 55 77

Please understand that I don't disagree with you..I just don't know what you are talking about. I seriously felt that we had a chance to win every game that he started while EVERYONE else that pitched that year absolutely stunk.
    You can start with a WHIP of 1.555. 91 men reached on a hit or walk in 55 IP. Think about that. He was approaching two men on base for every inning pitched. Yikes is all you say to that. While that is typical for the Reds, that is not good pitching. I remember those late season games that helped along his 5-1 record. He worked out of jam after jam, ala Jimmy Haynes for a the entire 2002 season. The unfortunate part is if he had been cut without the concurrent "cutting loose the lard butt", no one would have blinked an eye.

Well they could start by saying, A. He's not young (28)
    Then they would be lying. How many players on the Reds active roster are younger than Hancock? He is a lot younger than Rick White (37). He is also younger than Jeff Nelson (39) whom the Cards cut in favor of Hancock.
    Last edited by MattyHo4Life; 03-29-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Then they would be lying. How many players on the Reds active roster are younger than Hancock? He is a lot younger than Rick White (37). He is also younger than Jeff Nelson (39).
    True. But 28 is old enough to have reached "he is what he is" status, which is the point. He's not a prospect that can be reasonably projected to get substantially better.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    True. But 28 is old enough to have reached "he is what he is" status, which is the point. He's not a prospect that can be reasonably projected to get substantially better.
    I agree with that. He's too old to be considered a prospect anymore, but he is young compared to most Major Leaguers. Nobody expects Hancock to be a great reliever, but I think he is good enough to make the Reds bullpen.

I agree with that. He's too old to be considered a prospect anymore, but he is young compared to most Major Leaguers. Nobody expects Hancock to be a great reliever, but I think he is good enough to make the Reds bullpen.
    I think Hancock would have adequately filled a role for the Reds that they are missing which is long relief/swingman.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Rick White has been in the majors since 1994, with an ERA of 4.24. While there's lots to be said (negative) about Rick White, he has been, over that time, an average reliever (at worse).

While I don't, at this time, want him on my team, let's not exaggerate his career.
    Ok...you are right about his career. 5 years ago, Rick White was a average to good reliever. At 37, he is long past his prime. In two of the last three years he has had an ERA of over 5.00. I don't know about you, but I would just prefer a 27 year old decent reliever to a 37 year old decent reliever. Especially since that 27 year old is cheaper.

Then they would be lying. How many players on the Reds active roster are younger than Hancock? He is a lot younger than Rick White (37). He is also younger than Jeff Nelson (39) whom the Cards cut in favor of Hancock.
    How many RH pitchers who have less than under 100 IP at the age of 28 make it?

If there is anything the game has shown it's that RH relievers are a dime a dozen.

Young?

Not in my book... compared to me yes.. compared to what I call young pitching.. no frigging way.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I don't know about you, but I would just prefer a 27 year old decent reliever to a 37 year old decent reliever. Especially since that 27 year old is cheaper.
    You are assuming that Hancock is a decent reliever. He hasn't proven that yet.

Turn Off Ads?