Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best case/worst case from ESPN.COM

Best case/worst case from ESPN.COM

Cincinnati Reds
    Last World Series title: 1990.

Best case: Bronson Arroyo helps stabilize the rotation and the outfield of Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr. and Austin Kearns combines for 100 homers. Third base prospect Edwin Encarnacion follows up a huge spring with a nice rookie season. The Reds flirt with a .500 record and challenge for fourth in the division.

Worst case: The hitters lead the league in strikeouts, Eric Milton and the pitchers rank first in homers allowed, and the Reds complete the trifecta with suspect defense. At some point Griffey grabs a hamstring and makes another trip to the disabled list. When Dr. Tim Kremchek leads the team in press conferences, it's a bad sign.
    I honestly think our best case scenario is winning the NL Central. The Central is do for a down year, and if we can get 200 IP from Harang, Arroyo, Claussen, and if Milton can go 14-6 like he did in Philly (yeah I know but it is best case scenario) then I could see us competing. I doubt it happens, but you never know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best case/worst case from ESPN.COM

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I honestly think our best case scenario is winning the NL Central. The Central is do for a down year, and if we can get 200 IP from Harang, Arroyo, Claussen, and if Milton can go 14-6 like he did in Philly (yeah I know but it is best case scenario) then I could see us competing. I doubt it happens, but you never know.
    Sometimes things just come together. If everyone stays healthy and a few players have career years, well...baseball fans have license to dream in the spring.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Apparently ESPN thinks that 4, possibly 5 teams in the NL Central will be .500 or better this year...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I bet ESPN didn't state "Final Four" for George Mason's best case back in November.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

No way we win the division with the Cards in the mix. They're absolutely LOADED.

But I AM, on the other hand, always optimistic about my Reds. Every year I think that this is the year that they'll "catch lightning in a bottle." I'm counting on it this year! Wild-card, bay-beee!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    No way we win the division with the Cards in the mix. They're absolutely LOADED.
    I think they've taken steps back. The lineup outside of 3-4-5 is not good. They're not going to dominate this division like they have the past 3 years.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

The cards aren't loaded, and best case we win the thing!!!

I don't see why there would be any disputes as to what the best case would be....for any team, the best case scenario is winning the World Series.

That's why they call it the best case.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I think the Brewers can steal the division (will need complete health and a Cy worthy performance from Sheets at a minimum though).

I think the espn best case is pretty dead on. If the Reds can make a run at .500 this year, maybe even a few games above it with the Reds sniffing faintly the Wild Card race for a series or two in mid-August, that is about as good as we can expect.

I think 90 games will win the central this year.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I think they've taken steps back. The lineup outside of 3-4-5 is not good. They're not going to dominate this division like they have the past 3 years.
    Their lineup last season wasn't good outside of 3-4-5 (Pujols, Edmonds, Sanders). They still ran away with the division.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I think 90 games will win the central this year.
    I agree, shame the Reds will be 20 games away from that mark.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    The Cardinals haven't lost any difference makers from last year. However, they do gain a difference maker in Rolen since he missed most of 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    The Cardinals haven't lost any difference makers from last year. However, they do gain a difference maker in Rolen since he missed most of 2005.
    Exactly!

And...look at their rotation: Carpenter, Mulder, Marquis, Suppan, and Ponson.

Add Rolen to the middle of that lineup and they ARE loaded! I expect them to run away with the division.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I concur. The Cards are loaded. They have to be considered the favorites to win the division.

As far as best case goes, I think you have to assume a reasonable best case. A record slightly over .500 is about the best you can expect from this team. There's no Harnish/Neagle/Williamson we're entering the season with.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?