Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Marty says Nux will work Monday (3/27) / Marty Deserves Credit

Merged: Marty says Nux will work Monday (3/27) / Marty Deserves Credit

Monday, March 27, 2006

Marty: Nux will work Monday
    BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Joe Nuxhall finds out Tuesday if he’ll return to the Reds radio booth for Opening Day.

“That would really be a thrill,” says Nuxhall, 77, forced into retirement after the 2004 season. He missed his first Opening Day broadcast last year after calling 38 consecutive openers.

Nuxhall meets Tuesday with Reds COO John Allen to discuss his 20-game broadcast schedule. Nuxhall says nobody has asked him to participate in Monday’s broadcast – but long-time broadcast partner Marty Brennaman says Nux will work with him again and Steve Stewart on Monday.

“Joe’s going to work Opening Day. Steve’s going to do half the game, and Joe’s going to do half the game,” Brennaman said.

That was news to Nuxhall – and Rob Butcher, Reds media relations director.

“If Marty says Joe will be in the booth on Opening Day, I believe him,” Butcher said.

A WLW-AM (700) promotion saying Nuxhall will be part of the Opening Day radio team also traces its way back to Brennaman.

Darryl Parks, WLW-AM operations director, says “that’s what we’ve been told from Sarasota” by Dave Armbruster, the station staffer who has been producing Brennaman’s spring training game broadcasts.

Nuxhall’s return to Opening Day fits the “power of tradition” theme of Robert Castellini, the Reds new chief executive officer.

“The Ol’ Lefthander” has been associated with the club for 62 years, making his debut in 1944 at age 15, the youngest player ever to appear in a Major League Baseball game.

Twenty regular season games will be significantly more than last year. He’ll do at least one game in the new St. Louis Busch Stadium, which will be the 59th ballpark he has played in or broadcast from, he says. He will do 10 games with Brennaman, and 10 games with Stewart, Brennaman says.

“Right now Steve and I are scheduled to take off 10 games each. I really don’t want to take off any more than that. I couldn’t stand it. I’d go crazy,” Brennaman said.

E-mail jkiesewetter@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...303270020/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty: Nux will work Monday (3/27)

as he should be.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Zoinks!

I really hope they have 700 on at Willie's for Opening Day.

Funny Marty says he can't stand to be off more then 10 games but he won't do 9 innings of PBP
    Go Gators!

Marty deserves a lot of credit

I think Marty deserves credit here for letting Nuxey do the Opening Day broadcast. Step aside and let the ole lefthander have a little fun. Good job Marty.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...80344/-1/CINCI

Nuxhall to work opener?
    Ol' Lefthander to be back in the booth for 20 games this year

BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Joe Nuxhall finds out today if he'll return to the Reds radio booth for Opening Day.

"That would really be a thrill," says Nuxhall, 77, forced into retirement after the 2004 season. He missed his first Opening Day broadcast last year after calling 38 consecutive openers.

Nuxhall meets today with Reds chief operating officer John Allen to discuss his 20-game schedule. Nuxhall says nobody has asked him to participate in Monday's broadcast - but longtime partner Marty Brennaman says Nux will work with him and Steve Stewart on Monday.

"Joe's going to work Opening Day. Steve's going to do half the game, and Joe's going to do half the game," Brennaman said.

That was news to Nuxhall - and Rob Butcher, Reds media relations director.

"If Marty says Joe will be in the booth on Opening Day, I believe him," Butcher said.

A WLW-AM (700) promotion saying Nuxhall will be part of the Opening Day radio team also traces back to Brennaman. Darryl Parks, WLW-AM operations director, says "that's what we've been told from Sarasota" by Dave Armbruster, the station staffer producing Brennaman's spring training broadcasts.

Nuxhall's return to Opening Day would fit the "power of tradition" theme of Robert Castellini, the Reds new chief executive officer. "The Ol' Lefthander" has been associated with the club for 62 years, making his debut in 1944 at age 15, the youngest player ever in a major league game.

Nuxhall will work at least one game in the new St. Louis Busch Stadium, the 59th ballpark he will have played in or broadcast from, he says.

"Right now, Steve and I are scheduled to take off 10 games each. I really don't want to take off any more than that. I couldn't stand it. I'd go crazy," Brennaman said.

E-mail jkiesewetter@enquirer.com.

Re: Marty deserves a lot of credit

So is Marty taking the day off or are Steve and Joe going to rotate that middle innings position that day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    So is Marty taking the day off or are Steve and Joe going to rotate that middle innings position that day?

Steve and Joe will rotate. MARTY isn't really sacrificing much. Big suprise there.

"Right now, Steve and I are scheduled to take off 10 games each. I really don't want to take off any more than that. I couldn't stand it. I'd go crazy," Brennaman said.
    But of course, he hates his job and doesn't want to do it anymore....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Oh, WOW! Nuxie in the booth again...which innings will he be down for his nap?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

OK, really, I'm not a huge Marty fan, but the bashing of him around here is getting out of hand.

I didn't find anything in that article that warranted criticism. When he makes a boneheaded comment on the air, have at it and call him on it. But this? Come on, it's a bit much.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Shouldn't Steve received the credit instead of Marty? What the heck is Marty sacrificing?

Nevermind. I re-read the article. I'm stupid.
    Last edited by scounts22; 03-28-2006 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22
    Shouldn't Steve received the credit instead of Marty? What the heck is Marty sacrificing?
    That's not Marty's fault, it's the writer of the article's fault.

But someone will probably try and turn it into Marty's fault...
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

“Joe’s going to work Opening Day. Steve’s going to do half the game, and Joe’s going to do half the game,” Brennaman said.

That was news to Nuxhall – and Rob Butcher, Reds media relations director.
    I find this telling. I guess Marty does what he wants.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I find this telling. I guess Marty does what he wants.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too, which totally goes along with his attitude on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    That's not Marty's fault, it's the writer of the article's fault.
    If Kiesewitter wanted to convey that all three would be in the booth on Opening Day, which I think will happen, he did a poor job of it. I think all three will be in there because it would be a bigger story if Marty didn't do the game.

Rosie leaves on vacation and the Enquirer goes to hell in a handbasket.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?