Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tavarez/Gathright fight

Tavarez/Gathright fight

FORT MYERS, Fla. --The Red Sox are ready for the opening bell. One week before their first regular-season game, excitable reliever Julian Tavarez punched Tampa Bay outfielder Joey Gathright lightly in the jaw Monday during a play at home plate Monday, the latest flareup between the teams.

Players ran from benches and bullpens but no injuries were reported as they clutched opponents and tried to keep their teammates from going after the other side.

The action came one day after Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett yelled at Philadelphia's Ryan Howard when the right-hander thought the first baseman took too long to watch what he may have thought was a homer but ended up being a long fly out.

Players ran on the field then, too, after Howard went to his spot at first base for the top of the seventh, threw his glove down, looked into Boston's dugout, talked back to Beckett and walked toward him. Beckett was restrained before he stepped back onto the field and no one threw any punches or shoves.

In Boston's 12-11 win, which ended when Hee-Seop Choi walked with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, Gathright raced home while Julio Lugo was caught in a rundown between first and second in the eighth. Second baseman Zach Borowiak threw to Tavarez, who tagged Gathright out as the outfielder slid.

Gathright said Tavarez stood on his right forearm after the tag. Tavarez agreed but said he wanted to beat Gathright to the punch.

"I saw him try to get up and I wasn't going to let him throw a punch at me right away," said Tavarez, who threw a second punch on the top of Gathright's head. "You hear about whoever throws the first punch gets the win. That's what happened."

Full Story:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...hibition_game/

Pictures:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...27_06_sox_rays

Heres the pictures uploaded to photobucket incase you dont want to register to see them.
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...03284_4119.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...03058_5020.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...98926_7034.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...98926_5055.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...98926_2346.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...03143_4198.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...98927_5689.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...98927_6420.jpg

Last edited by CTA513; 03-28-2006 at 02:17 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tavarez/Gathright fight

How can the D-rays have a rivalry with anyone?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    How can the D-rays have a rivalry with anyone?
    they beat the snot out of Boston and New York, but can't beat anyone else. They have beaten both teams in games that were needed.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

For a Level Playing Field

You punch another player during a game, you get a 10-game suspension. That should be a mandatory rule. Punching another player has no place in the game. It has happened many times in the game's history, but IMO a strict suspension should be administered. Then again we are talking about baseball leaders who chose to ignore steroids for a long time. So I won't hold my breath on the punching thing.

Personally I'd be scared to touch Julian Tavarez' face with my fist or anything else. Might get something scary on my fist that will never go away... and it ain't pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    they beat the snot out of Boston and New York, but can't beat anyone else. They have beaten both teams in games that were needed.
    That is so not true. The Rays beat the snot out of the Yankees, it's the Blue Jays who always beat the snot out of the Red Sox. But the D-Rays and Red Sox have a history of beanball wars that predates almost everyone currently affilitated with either team, and just seems to keep getting passed along for some reason. I think Julian Tavarez might just be a real crazy person, though.

anyone else think Tavarez punches like a girl? That was a brutal swing

But it was his right hand. He may be crazy, but I guess he's not stupid. If he punches the guy for real with his pitching hand, that would be stupid.

very good point blumj. I always tell our volatile closer on my team that when he fights to punch with his opposite hand. have to protect your goods

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Personally I'd be scared to touch Julian Tavarez' face with my fist or anything else. Might get something scary on my fist that will never go away... and it ain't pretty!
    No kidding. That is one ugly dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    But it was his right hand. He may be crazy, but I guess he's not stupid. If he punches the guy for real with his pitching hand, that would be stupid.
    Speaking of dumb, it would have been really stupid if he took his frustration out on the wall and phone of the dugout during the playoffs and broke his pitching hand....oh wait, i guess he sort of learned his lesson

Was it tavarez who tried to dropkick that guy on the first baseline a few years back?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I heard Gathright spiked him first and the RS will be filing a complaint as well.

This one makes me giggle for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22

This one makes me giggle for some reason.
    I love it just because I hate Taveras so freakin bad and he is getting his CLOCK CLEANED...The D-Rays are my #2 team...now, make no mistake they are not contending for the division but they will be able to put a hurt on the Yankees, Sox, Jays and O's this season...they will have a say in who wins and loses that division.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    this also could mean his catcher in the minors was Crash Davis.

Turn Off Ads?