I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: Draft advice

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    Player A

AVG .286 | HR 28 | RBI 117 | OBP .311 | SLG .497

vs.

Player B

AVG .291 | HR 28 | RBI 105 | OBP .376 | SLG .540

Both play the same position. Who would you select?
    A would be Cantu and B would be Utley. I'm guessing the point is that you can get Cantu a few rounds later with 2B & 3B eligibility and some similar numbers? Utley will also have more SB's
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    A would be Cantu and B would be Utley. I'm guessing the point is that you can get Cantu a few rounds later with 2B & 3B eligibility and some similar numbers? Utley will also have more SB's
    Yeah, don't forget Cantu scored 20 less runs than Utley, had 15 less stolen bases (16-1) and 19 BB's compared to Utley's 69 (which is a stat in our league).

I see what you're saying about being able to wait and get Cantu, but I think Utley's numbers are going to be crazy this year. I already posted my prediction for him at .290 AVG. 31 HR 116 RBI 108 runs and 19 SB's, and I think that might be pretty close if not a little low. I think he'll run more this year because Abreu will run less, if that makes sense. I also think he'll improve on his 69 BB's, and I have some doubt that Cantu will be able to improve or repeat last year's numbers
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I agree with your assessment, I was trying to determine the purpose in posting those guys stats? I think Wright's power potential vs. Utley's power potential make him the choice but it won't make or break your season, Utley certainly isn't a bad choice. As you mentioned before, somebody may make a crazy pick early and somebody like Ortiz, Manny, or Santana might fall to you
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Yeah, don't forget Cantu scored 20 less runs than Utley, had 15 less stolen bases (16-1) and 19 BB's compared to Utley's 69 (which is a stat in our league).

I see what you're saying about being able to wait and get Cantu, but I think Utley's numbers are going to be crazy this year. I already posted my prediction for him at .290 AVG. 31 HR 116 RBI 108 runs and 19 SB's, and I think that might be pretty close if not a little low. I think he'll run more this year because Abreu will run less, if that makes sense. I also think he'll improve on his 69 BB's, and I have some doubt that Cantu will be able to improve or repeat last year's numbers
    I won't disagree with your assessment of Utley. I believe he is worth a late first round pick. I wanted to point out that there are other comparable players at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    Player A

AVG .286 | HR 28 | RBI 117 | OBP .311 | SLG .497

vs.

Player B

AVG .291 | HR 28 | RBI 105 | OBP .376 | SLG .540

Both play the same position. Who would you select?

Somewhat similar stats here, but if you look at the scoring categories in this league, which include BB and SB, Utley has a clear advantage.

You could also snag Cantu to play 3B instead of Wright, if you wanted to.

As for Utley vs. Wright, I don't think you can go wrong either way, but my personal preference is Utley.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-28-2006 at 03:04 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Uggh. Terrible draft. My wife called from Atlanta and it caused me to make several mistakes during the draft and made keeping up with who was picked a chore. My "plan" was working until the 5th round or so.

Here's what I ended up with.

Stats are: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS for hitters and IP, W, L, SV, R, HR, BB, K, ERA, K/9 for pitchers

We play: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, DL, DL

1. (10) J. Bay (OF)- wanted HR, RBI, R, SB, AVG, OPS with my first pick. He fit.
    2. (11) C. Utley (2B, 1B) wanted good numbers at a premium position. He fit.
    3. (30) R. Harden (SP) Last pitcher I had ranked before a big drop off.
    4. (31) V. Martínez (C) see Utley.
    5. (50) R. Furcal (SS) - mistake, meant to take Jeter, and clicked the wrong guy-I blame my wife.
    6. (51) R. Sexson (1B)- one of the last 1B left on the board at this point.
    7. (70) B. Ryan (RP) - last "stud" closer left on my rankings.
    8. (71) B. Myers (SP) - still there, needed another good SP since I didn't end up with a top 5 guy.
    9. (90) J. Patterson (SP) - same with Myers. Think he'll produce in K, ERA, and K/9.
    10. (91) C. Crisp (OF) - Wanted to start grabbing OFers and I think he's going to score 120 R's and produce in serveral cats.
    11. (110) M. Holliday (OF)- Another guy that should contribute in several cats.
    12. (111) M. Mora (3B) - Best 3B avail. Should have drafted Rolen in rd 10 or 11, but at that point there were 4 3B below him. Gambled since OF were going fast.
    13. (130) T. Gordon (RP) - Had him ranked pretty high. Highest ranked closer left on my board.
    14. (131) E. Bedard (SP) - I think Leo Mazzone will do wonders for him. Was dominant in 1st half last yr before injury.
    15. (150) J. Bonderman (SP)- a guy I like a lot. Maybe too much.
    16. (151) B. Wilkerson (OF, 1B)- should contribute across the board in that park.
    17. (170) D. Bush (SP) - another mistake, I meant to draft Ray here, and then pickup J.D. Drew who was sitting out there
    18. (171) C. Ray- had to pick a 3rd closer here because they were going fast, most teams have 3, some 4. Drew went the pick after this
    19. (190) M. González - took him just because he was available. No good offensive players left on the board, except Granderson
    20. (191) J. Guillén -was going to take Granderson, but figured I needed more pop. Don't like him, or this pick.

I'm going to drop David Bush. I think he'll have a good year, but there are starters like Kelvim Escobar (big in K/9), Wakefield, Chris Young and Loiaza out there, who are better across the board.

I'd like to improve my offense somehow. I don't like Guillen very much. He'll produce in HR somewhat but not as much in RBI, R, BB, OBP.

I usually draft straight power guys who get on base and don't run very much (Dunn, Hafner type guys). I usually struggle in the SB category every year. I think I have a more balanced team, but it's weird to me because I'm used to have big HR/RBI guys and no SB. That's why I drafted Guillen with the last pick. He was the only guy out there that hit for good power. It was either him or Preston Wilson. I still might drop Guillen for Wilson. No other power guys are out there.

What do you guys think of this team?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-29-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Code:
    Pos Batters Edit Opp Status H/AB R H HR RBI SB BB AVG OBP SLG OPS 
    C V. Martínez 
    (Cle - C)          167/547 73 167 20 80 0 63 .305 .378 .475 .853 
    1B R. Sexson 
    (Sea - 1B)       147/558 99 147 39 121 1 89 .263 .369 .541 .91 
    2B C. Utley 
    (Phi - 1B,2B)       158/543 93 158 28 105 16 69 .291 .376 .540 .916 
    3B M. Mora 
    (Bal - 3B)       168/593 86 168 27 88 7 50 .283 .348 .474 .822 
    SS R. Furcal 
    (LAD - SS)       175/616 100 175 12 58 46 62 .284 .348 .429 .777 
    OF J. Bay 
    (Pit - OF)       183/599 110 183 32 101 21 95 .306 .402 .559 .961 
    OF C. Crisp 
    (Bos - OF)       178/594 86 178 16 69 15 44 .300 .345 .465 .81 
    OF M. Holliday 
    (Col - OF)       147/479 68 147 19 87 14 36 .307 .361 .505 .866 
    Util B. Wilkerson 
    (Tex - 1B,OF)       140/565 76 140 11 57 8 84 .248 .351 .405 .756 
    Util J. Guillén 
    (Was - OF)       156/551 81 156 24 76 1 31 .283 .338 .479 .817 
              Pitching 

Pos Pitchers Edit Opp Status IP W L SV R HR BB K ERA K/9 
    SP R. Harden 
    (Oak - SP)       128.0 10 5 0 42 7 43 121 2.53 8.51 
    SP B. Myers 
    (Phi - SP)       215.1 13 8 0 94 31 68 208 3.72 8.69 
    SP J. Patterson 
    (Was - SP)       198.1 9 7 0 71 19 65 185 3.13 8.39 
    SP E. Bedard 
    (Bal - SP)       141.2 6 8 0 66 10 57 125 4.00 7.94 
    RP B. Ryan 
    (Tor - RP)       70.1 1 4 36 20 4 26 100 2.43 12.80 
    RP T. Gordon 
    (Phi - RP)       80.2 5 4 2 25 8 29 69 2.57 7.70 
    P J. Bonderman 
    (Det - SP)       189.0 14 13 0 101 21 57 145 4.57 6.90 
    P C. Ray 
    (Bal - RP)       40.2 1 3 0 15 5 18 43 2.66 9.52 
    BN D. Bush 
    (Mil - SP)       136.1 5 11 0 73 20 29 75 4.49 4.95 
    BN M. González 
    (Pit - RP)       50.0 1 3 3 15 2 31 58 2.70 10.44
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I could be wrong here, but if you get power guys, they should dominate in pretty much every field except stolen bases. Why put little Ryan Freels on your team when they don't help you win anything except stolen bases? A homerun gets you a hit, a run, an rbi, and a hr as well as pumping up your slugging pct. and OPS if your league counts them. As well, lots of power guys walk, so they don't hurt there either.

I just don't see the logic in worrying about stolen bases. Unless you get Scott Podsednik and other scrappy guys, you can't win that category anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I could be wrong here, but if you get power guys, they should dominate in pretty much every field except stolen bases. Why put little Ryan Freels on your team when they don't help you win anything except stolen bases? A homerun gets you a hit, a run, an rbi, and a hr as well as pumping up your slugging pct. and OPS if your league counts them. As well, lots of power guys walk, so they don't hurt there either.

I just don't see the logic in worrying about stolen bases. Unless you get Scott Podsednik and other scrappy guys, you can't win that category anyway.

You're right. I really didn't target scrappy guys like Tony Womack, Juan Pierre, Scott Podsednik, etc as much as I tried to make it a point to get power hitters that would contribute SB's (Bay, Utley in particular). Drafting Furcal was a mistake. I was going to take Jeter, and then hesitated because I wanted to wait a little bit longer and take Felipe or Peralta, but I was short on time and the computer auto selected Furcal right as I was about to make my pick, which was originally going to be Jeter, but then I noticed H.Matsui was still there and I wanted to get him, as I wanted another good OF to backup Bay. I don't think it totally ruined my season, but it did change the outcome of my draft. My team would have looked a lot different (and better, IMO) if I had drafted H. Matsui instead of Furcal and then drafted F.Lopez or J. Peralta instead of C. Crisp (they both fell that far) I felt like I was playing catchup on positions. This is the first time I had drafted 10th, and I didn't like the back to back picks and then waiting 20 picks before my next turn. Not easy to do. Made the same mistake on Bush. He was in my queue as someone to target in the last round, if a bunch of starters came off the board. I wanted to draft Chris Ray with that pick, and then use the following pick on J.D. Drew, realizing that he fell too far. I clicked on the draft button and I must have hit the down arrow on my keyboard because it picked the player (Bush) right under Ray in my queue. Since I drafted Ray, I felt I needed to get a 3rd closer, thus I had to take Ray with the pick after Bush tp get my closer and let Drew stay out there. Drew went the pick after Ray.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-30-2006 at 01:11 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Nevermind this post.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-30-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If you had to pick a SP out of: Wakefield, Kelvim Escobar, Chris Young, Loiaza, Daniel Cabrera, or Oliver Perez, wihich one would you pick? W, L, R, HR, BB, K, ERA, K/9 are the categories. I'm torn. I could really use some wins on my team (Wakefield) but I'm still enamored with the K pitchers (Cabrera, Perez, and possibly Escobar).
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-30-2006 at 10:20 AM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Your team looks pretty solid. You can *always* find outfielders with pop on the waiver wire. Always.

As for the pitchers, Escobar was unbelievable last season after returning from the DL. He'll K nearly a batter per inning with few walks, and the Angels should win quite a few games for him.

Oliver Perez would be another good roll of the dice, although I don't think his win total will be that high.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

So, offensively you think my team can compete as is right now, Johnny. No major deficiencies? I'm thinking about asking around to see who's interested in Coco Crisp and see what I can get for him in return. I think he'll run less in Boston (hello, Johnny Damon). On the other hand, he could hit for more power in that park, though, so I'm unsure what to expect from him. Would it be wise for me to try and target more power in a trade for him? Who would you try and get for him to make my offense better?

I like Escobar, but he is *always* coming down with some injury, that scares me somewhat. I could always pick him up and then drop him and replace him if he does get injured, and he should provide wins, which I need. I'm just hoping I don't pass on Perez and he ends up being a top 15 pitcher like he was 2 years ago.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?