Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rose backs steroid punishment

Rose backs steroid punishment

March 28, 2006

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Pete Rose backs punishment of baseball players caught using steroids under the major league's new testing policy.

"In my case, I broke the rules and I've been suspended 18 years," said Rose, who agreed to a lifetime ban from baseball following an investigation of his gambling. "So if guys broke the rules the last two years then they have to be handed out some kind of sentence."

Rose, baseball's career hits leader, spoke at a benefit at Moeller High School on Monday, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

One of the topics was Barry Bonds, the subject of a recently released book that details the San Francisco Giants slugger's alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs.

"I don't know what he did the last two years. All I know is the guy can hit," said Rose, calling Bonds one of the top five players in baseball history.

Rose, who confessed to betting on the Cincinnati Reds while managing the team in the late 1980s, said he only cares about steroid use since baseball's testing began.

"Here's my take on steroids: We can say anybody took steroids," Rose said. "We don't know. Unless you took steroids the last two years, I don't care."

Rose also addressed the 36-game hitting streak that Philadelphia shortstop Jimmy Rollins brings into the season. Rollins could have lost his rhythm at the plate, but doesn't have to worry about tiring as his streak continues, said Rose, who had a 44-game hitting streak in 1978.

"One thing about a hitting streak is the stamina," Rose said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rose backs steroid punishment

Good for Pete to take a stand. I'm sure he also backs punishment for convicted criminals too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

What's Pete's stand on income and/or property taxes?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Ummmm....am I misreading this, or is the stand he's taking that anything done before the current testing begun is A-okay, and shouldn't be questioned?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

That's how I read it.
    Makes all the routine posts.

It seems as though a lot of players past and present have that attitude. I have read about guys that took stuff in the early 90's that was 'legal,' but banned now. In their eyes and everyone else's there shouldn't be anything wrong with that - whatever their career records are/were. That's the general consensus I am getting all around.

Turn Off Ads?