Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat and Tired=Disabled

Fat and Tired=Disabled

How long until someone gets put on the DL for being a clubhouse cancer, or being woefully inept at playing major league baseball?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9341836/rss

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Kansas City Royals pitcher Runelvys Hernandez will begin the year on the 15-day disabled list because of concerns about his weight and stamina.

Projected to be the team's No. 2 starter, Hernandez allowed nine runs -- eight earned -- and five home runs in 12 innings. He also walked 10 and hit a batter. Hernandez will be dropped down to fifth in the rotation, manager Buddy Bell said Monday, a slot that's not needed until April 14.

Hernandez, who led the Royals with eight wins last year but didn't win a game after July 22, reported to spring training overweight. He will start the season on a rehab assignment at Triple-A Omaha.

"The bottom line is where he's at is not where he needs to be," general manager Allard Baird said Monday. "To say we're putting him on the DL because he is overweight, I think that is a little unfair. Does it factor in? Sure."

The Royals, who list Hernandez at 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, won't say what he actually weighs. The right-hander has lost about 10 pounds since workouts began, Baird said.

Hernandez lasted 3 2/3 innings in a loss Saturday to a Chicago Cubs' split squad.

"I'm real paranoid about starting him now and without him being in the best possible condition to pitch a full season," Bell said. "That's my biggest concern. I don't know if he understands that or not. We're doing what is best for the team and what is best for him. We don't want to get two or three starts into the season and he wasn't ready.

"We were hoping his stamina would be OK by the end of spring training, and maybe it is, maybe it isn't. We want to make sure. Runelvys feels like he is ready, but we want to be sure."

Hernandez remained at the team's spring training facility in Surprise on Monday and did not travel to Scottsdale.

Hernandez was 8-9 with a 4.53 ERA last season before slumping. He had a 9.45 ERA in the final two months of the season, losing his final five decisions. He also gained weight during the season and went on the 15-day disabled list with a lower back strain on Aug. 26.

"He hasn't looked like the Runelvys that we've seen at times," Bell said.

Scott Elarton pitches the opener on April 3 against Detroit, and Joe Mays will start the second game on April 5. Jeremy Affeldt, the only left-hander in the rotation, will be the No. 3 starter, and Denny Bautista moves into the fourth slot.

"Runelvys, in my eyes, can be our No. 1 guy at some point," Bell said. "We've just got to get him in condition to where we think he's going to be able to hold up all year."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: Fat and Tired=Disabled

I don't know about going on the DL for being fat but I imagine the 25th man on most rosters will be changing quite about as players who rely on amphetamines will no longer have "mothers little helper" to get them through the dog days of summer.

Didn't Hancock get waived for this? I think KC should do the same to Mr. Hernandez.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Of course, the unedited version of what Buddy Bell had to say, obtained by our hidden microphone:

"The bleeping fat bleep bleep bleep showed up 300 gazillion pounds overweight, so you bet your bleep bleeping bleep bleep that he's on the DL for being a bleep. "

Ahh, Royals baseball. The more things change...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We should have tried this on Graves last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Baseball is suffering from multiple personalities disorder. On the one hand, they are getting all self-righteous about the steroids issue after-the-fact, then they are suddenly dinging guys for showing up fat. Now, don't get me wrong, I can see how it is justified and supported the Hancock dealings, simply because he's a fringe player fighting for a job and deserved it for stupidity, and as a potential 5th starter on the Royals, I don't see this case being a whole lot different.

But since when were MLB teams so freaking concerned about whether a guy was fat or not? And are they sending a terribly mixed message, as in "hey guys, no quick fixes, no steroids, no supplements (oh, unless they meet the approved list) but don't show up to camp overweight or we might just boot your butt"?

Kansas City Royals pitcher Runelvys Hernandez will begin the year on the 15-day disabled list because of concerns about his weight and stamina.
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but is being overweight and lacking in stamina a valid reason for placing someone on the DL? I thought the DL was reserved for injured players.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but is being overweight and lacking in stamina a valid reason for placing someone on the DL? I thought the DL was reserved for injured players.
    That was the point I was trying to make TB
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't certain kinds of obesity considered a disability? if so, then i'm guessing that's how the Royals are able to justify this.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Troy O' Leary was DL'ed by the Red Sox a few years ago for a divorce.

Without recalling the exact language of the basic agreements or the CBA, it doesn't have to be either an injury or disability.

On the other hand, I recall Pat Meares successfully contesting his being put on the DL. I'm not sure if that's because he wasn't injured AT ALL or because his injury was so minor.
    Stick to your guns.

Also remember that Wohlers (with Atlanta) was put on the DL for some reason like "Inability to pitch"...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Also remember that Wohlers (with Atlanta) was put on the DL for some reason like "Inability to pitch"...
    Mental problems, wasn't it? I'm fairly certain you can put players on the DL for that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Well, if the DL rules are so lax, I'm truly surprised that more players aren't hidden there for such ridiculous reasons.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Players actually have to sign a form when put on the DL.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?