Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben Broussard vs. Scott Hatteberg

Re: Ben Broussard vs. Scott Hatteberg

Maybe we can trade Russell Branyan back to Cleveland...

I'm in favor of Broussard. Can't be worse than what's out there now.

I'm becoming more at peace with Tony Womack at 2nd. The reason is that there is no way he can last past May 1.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pastor Rusty

I'm not thrilled with Hatteberg at 1st, but we have not had a dominant first baseman in some time. I loved Casey, he was my favorite Red, but he was just an average player who hit for average. He worked hard on defense, but was never great. Could Aurilla be an everyday 1st baseman? His bat is better and I have a much easier time seeing him on an every day basis.

Quote Originally Posted by roby
    Even if he is the worst 1st baseman in baseball...he will have Tony Womack standing nearby at 2nd base to help him out!
    ... or to make him look good by comparison

Why not trade the Tribe Womack for Broussard?

Broussard's streaky and hardly a panacea at 1B, but nominally an improvement over Hatteberg, offering better defense and more clout (.464 SLG in 2005 vs. .343 SLG in roughly the same number of at bats, 466 vs. 464). Being six years younger, you also have to hope Broussard would be a little more durable and able to hold up all season long.

I wouldn't drop Hatteberg -- just move him to where he rightfully belongs -- the bench -- given his age and his declining offense. Besides, keeping him is good insurance for whenever Broussard gets streaky and needs a competitive goose.

This trade would be a baby step, but still a thing of beauty -- improving two positions simultaneously, while costing us very little moolah. Broussard represents a 1B upgrade over Hatteberg, while likewise, Aurilia or Freel are better 2B options than Womack.

One caveat: If we could get Petagine for a song and prayer, I don't know that I'd bother with Broussard and his $2.5 million salary. Of course, if Broussard were the key to shipping off Womack, then the difference between $2.5 million and $2 million is but a small price to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    FWIW, I'd take Broussard over Hatteberg. And I'd take Pena over Broussard. But that's just me.
    I agree
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock
    I don't think there is another GM in baseball dumb enough to trade for Womack but we can always hope.

We don't have anything Cleveland would want for Broussard. They're looking to "upgrade" from Broussard, so how can we help them?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Maybe we can trade Russell Branyan back to Cleveland...

I'm in favor of Broussard. Can't be worse than what's out there now.

I'm becoming more at peace with Tony Womack at 2nd. The reason is that there is no way he can last past May 1.

Ah yes, the infamous let's send Ben Broussard to Cleveland for Russell Branyan. Ironic if we'd get Broussard back after the fact. I hate to say it, but I'm a fan of both Broussard and Branyan and wish we would have kept Branyan as our everyday 3B and had Broussard as our everyday 1B. That's right, I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I don't think there is another GM in baseball dumb enough to trade for Womack but we can always hope.
    Dan O is working for the brewers now, we should try them.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock
    Because Womack is an All-Star in the NL. The AL? Not so much.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Was I asleep? Isn't Branyan in Tampa now? Or is this a past inside joke that I am missing out on?!

You people are having a Ben Broussard conversation, without ME?????

A pox on all of you!

Bender?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    You people are having a Ben Broussard conversation, without ME?????

A pox on all of you!
    Well, we can't help it if you are in handcuffs all the time, or wearing your invisible collar giving you a slight correction every time you try to dial up redszone.com. Married life is fun, ain't it?

And whatever you do in your dwelling, stays there...
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The return of Broussard, a dream come true!!!

Turn Off Ads?