Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Duke Lacrosse team is in serious trouble

Re: The Duke Lacrosse team is in serious trouble

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post
    Did anyone watch the 60 Minutes segment on this last night?

It was incredibly damning and indicative of prosecutorial misconduct. Apparently, the prosecutor violated basic tenants of criminal procedure by informing the victim that only pictures of Duke lacrosse players were featured in the photo lineup. Normally, the standard protocol is to put a number of people in photo lineups which have nothing to do with the incident, to prevent victim "guessing."

Additionally, there is ATM video evidence that one of the accused players was using an ATM machine at the time the rape allegedly occurred. Even more damning is the fact that the other dancer's testimony contradicts much of what the victim has been saying. Also, the fact that the indictments were issued in the middle of the prosecutor's reelection campaign is even more troublesome.

I'm aware that spin accompanies every news segment on these matters. However, the producers noted that they had undertaken a review of every single document in the case file, and that the primary evidence on which they indicted the three players was the photo lineup. If so, charges should have never been brought and the players certainly should not have not been indicted.
    I didn't see the piece but the prosecutor has been a horse's arse from the beginning. This was a political play from the moment it got in front of him and he is an embarrassment to DA's everywhere.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    Case of a prosecutor letting his mouth overload his butt to get some publicity. He convicted them in the press before he had any idea what kind of case he had(DNA evidence). Then when the evidence came back and it was obvious he had no case he was in too deep to back away quickly.

I doubt this case ever goes to trial and some time next year the charges will dropped as this case fades away.
    You could go ahead and paste this same synopsis in the Jon Benet thread and nobody could tell the difference.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post
    Did anyone watch the 60 Minutes segment on this last night?

It was incredibly damning and indicative of prosecutorial misconduct. Apparently, the prosecutor violated basic tenants of criminal procedure by informing the victim that only pictures of Duke lacrosse players were featured in the photo lineup. Normally, the standard protocol is to put a number of people in photo lineups which have nothing to do with the incident, to prevent victim "guessing."

Additionally, there is ATM video evidence that one of the accused players was using an ATM machine at the time the rape allegedly occurred. Even more damning is the fact that the other dancer's testimony contradicts much of what the victim has been saying. Also, the fact that the indictments were issued in the middle of the prosecutor's reelection campaign is even more troublesome.

I'm aware that spin accompanies every news segment on these matters. However, the producers noted that they had undertaken a review of every single document in the case file, and that the primary evidence on which they indicted the three players was the photo lineup. If so, charges should have never been brought and the players certainly should not have not been indicted.
    I am not a lawyer or a law student, I never played one on tv, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I can still see that this whole case smells. There doesn't seem to be one shred of evidence strong enough to convict these guys and the only reason it is going this far is politics. These young men are guilty of nothing other than bad judgment, which is not uncommon among college students, and the could potentially have their lives ruined because of an over zealous prosecutor who wants to make a name for himself.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    You could go ahead and paste this same synopsis in the Jon Benet thread and nobody could tell the difference.
    Or West Memphis 3.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I hope those Duke athletes sue the pants off the prosecutor, the county, the police department, and whoever else they have a case against.

Furthermore, that prosecutor should face harsh sanctions and/or criminal charges and hopefully be disbarred.

A clear political stunt and I hope those responsible pay for it dearly.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The only thing that will break the stalemate are the DNA results
    How did you know?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?