Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/28 Red Stockings vs. Red Sox

All dyslexics must untie!

Re: 3/28 Red Stockings vs. Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRed
    GM I am trying to remember..when did Fastball end? I had been a member of that for years..
    '98, '99...somewhere in there...frankly I've lost track of how many Red's forums we've journeyed through
    Never overlook the obvious

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Top of the 4th, Dave Williams still standing (though he's way behind in points right now)...

1.) Wily Mo Pena steps into bat. True story, I once brought a "Wily Mo Pena-ful to watch" sign to the GABP when he was just a dead smear on the bench a few years back. Pena smacks a double down the right field line. I mentioned in another thread that Pena's GB/FB ratio is 1.5/1, which should be troubling given the kind of hitter he should be. Oh well, he's on 2nd now, and that's why I'm not in charge of a baseball team. 0 outs, man on 2nd.

2.) Dave Williams catches Hee Seop Choi admiring his 88 MPH junkball for strike 3. RedsZone still wishes Choi was wearing a different shade of Red jersey anyway. Wayne Krivsky gives Scott Hatteberg a "You're the man" point from the owner's box. 1 out.

3.) Enrique Wilson puts a charge into one out to right field, but it doesn't quite have the distance. Ryan Freel makes a scrappy put out and holds the runner on 2nd. 2 outs.

4.) Alex Cora hits a weak grounder back to the pitcher and Dave Williams records the put out. Cora shrugs and trots back to the dugout, knowing the Williams has already suffered the ultimate indignity of having given up a home run to Alex Cora.

In the 4th, Reds 1, Red Sox 2.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-28-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Hatteberg would have totally grounded that one out in a manly fashion
    Go Gators!

Matt Clement returns to the mound, ever vigilant that a John Wilks Booth look-alike might emerge to cause trouble...

1.) Felipe Lopez leads things off with a line drive right to Alex Cora for the first out. Jerry Narron sighs and reminds reporters that RIGHT THERE is the reason why only Tony Womack should be allowed to lead off innings. Laughter ensues. 1 out

2.) Ken Griffey Jr. hits a looping liner to Hee Seop Choi, the ball bounces out of Choi's glove and ends up falling to the turf. It's a base hit for Ken Griffey Jr., putting a man on base for He Who Makes Mortals Tremble. 1 on, 1 out.

3.) Adam Dunn, He Who Makes Mortals Tremble, steps into the box. On first, Griffey asks Choi what it was like playing on a team that didn't crap the bed in the World Baseball Classic. Count goes full, because Matt Clement likes throwing pitches, and Dunn strikes out. 2 outs.

4.) Edwin Encarnacion up next, and hits a shot just down the line for a foul ball. A little league dad in the crowd yells "Just straighten it out, son!" Instead, Edwin pops it out and leaves Griffey stranded on 1st. End of the inning.

Heading off to the 5th, the Reds still on the frowning side of the scoreboard.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-28-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Awfully hospitable of the Reds to go along with the DH thing this close to the season. I'm sure Big Papi is grateful.
    Obviously Narron suckered them into that deal by making sure that they would let the Reds use the DH when they play there if the Sox could use the DH tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Obviously Narron suckered them into that deal by making sure that they would let the Reds use the DH when they play there if the Sox could use the DH tonight.
    Oh Jerry, you're so sneaky....

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    Oh Jerry, you're so sneaky....
    So, that's what he learned from Grady Little. There had to be something.

Thanks for doing the pbp.

Now in the top of the 5th, with Dave Williams still dealing. Marty notes that Dave Williams is slated to head to extended spring training, which makes absolutely no sense.

1.) Josh Bard grounds to Edwin Encarnacion, who makes the put out across the diamond. 1 out.

2.) Coco Crisp smokes the ball down the right field line, all the way to the wall. Crisp smokes around the basepath before stopping at 2nd with a double. He declares himself part of this complete breakfast. 1 out, man on 2nd.

3.) Kevin Youklis, Greek God of Walks, steps up on the mortal plane and does what he does best: takes a free pass down to first. The OPS ticks up another point -- Reds fans look at Youklis, then look at Williams, and merely shake their head in disgust over the Casey deal. 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

4.) David Ortiz hits a soft liner into left field. He tell Williams that he loves it when you call him Big Papi (throw the hands in the ayyyeer, if you a true playeeeer). Crisp has to hold at 3rd, and now the sacks are juiced for Manny Ramirez. I predict bad things happening shortly. Sacks full, 1 out.

5.) Manny Ramirez hits a deep fly ball that stays in the park. Crisp scores from 3rd to put the Red Sox back up by 2. Youklis moves to 2nd. Dave Williams not out of the woods yet as Wily Mo "I eat Lefties for Breakfast" Pena steps in. 1st and 3rd, 2 outs.

6.) For the briefest of seconds, the Universe falls into perfect allignment and the inner beauty of creation shines upon as all, as Wily Modesto Pena, 24 from Laguna Salda, DR takes a walk. The choirs of angels sing as Wily Mo jogs to first base in his "Took a Walk" trot. Pena wonders what the big deal is. Theo Epstein sheds a tear of joy. Bases Loaded, 2 outs.

7.) Hee Seop Choi grounds out weakly to end the inning. Apparently they don't read "Casey at the Bat" over in Korea. There'll be no joy in Seol tonight.

Heading to the home half of the 5th, it's the Boys on the Docks 3, Reds 1.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-28-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    Thanks for doing the pbp.
    Ditto - stuck in a meeting, BUT no one in my office can see my computer screen right now

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    6.) For the briefest of seconds, the Universe falls into perfect allignment and the inner beauty of creation shines upon as all, as Wily Modesto Pena, 24 from Laguna Salda, DR takes a walk. The choirs of angels sing as Wily Mo jogs to first base in his "Took a Walk" trot. Pena wonders what the big deal is. Theo Epstein sheds a tear of joy. Bases Loaded, 2 outs.
    I damn near choked on my gum..

Now in the top of the 5th, with Dave Williams still dealing. Marty notes that Dave Williams is slated to head to extended spring training, which makes absolutely no sense.
    It may not make sense but at least he is pitching down there instead of up here.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Bottom of the 5th now. Marty Brennamen reads an ad for the Reds calendar, stating that Austin Kearns is "Mr. February," which I find funny, since (historically) the best month that Kearns has is the one right before the season starts when everyone says "Man, this HAS to be his year..."

1.) Scott Hatteberg flexes those giant OPS-creating muscles and hits a weak line drive into the outfield for an out. He and Tony Womack pose for a photo in the calendar as "Mr. Anti-OBPs 2006" when he gets back to the dugout. 1 out.

Marty notes that Hee Seop Choi was helped to the dugout with a medical problem. Likely a strained ego, but he should be day-to-day with that.

2.) Brian Buchanan hits a double to the wall, hustling into 2nd and beating a throw. Ryan Freel sues for Scrappiness Infringement, but Jerry Narron tells him he's just too valuable to the club to allow him use of the team attorney. He mutters and steps into the batters box. 1 out, man on 2nd.

3.) Ryan Freel steps in. Marty gets "on his soapbox" and takes the Reds to task for 'allowing' the Red Sox to use the DH in their park. He claims that it sends the wrong message, that there are some NL teams that are open to the idea of a DH, which is a dumb rule. RedsZone fans hope Marty falls off the soapbox and injures his vocal chords. The idiocy is astounding -- the DH is going to be a rule throughout baseball within the next 10-20 years, that's just the way it's going to be. It'd be a great concession to offer the player's union -- the prospect of an additional 15 starting jobs for ballplayers in the NL. Ugh. Ryan Freel takes a walk...a scrappy walk. 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

4.) Dave Ross with a LINE DRIVE BASE HIT! Brian Buchanan runs in to score and bring the deficit back to 1. Ryan Freel moves up to 2nd. Ross, dare I say, Basheming the ball all over the place tonight. Men on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. 1 run in.

5.) Tony Womack continues his OBP limbo -- how low can he go -- by popping weakly on the infield. He really was a great tud of a going away present by Dan O'Brien -- like a fruitcake on Christmas from that aunt you don't really like. 2 outs, men on 1st and 2nd.

6.) Felipe Lopez up with a chance to make some noise at the dish. Marty goes over all of the pitching prospects that the Reds didn't get, but does note that Terry Francona didn't want to give up Arroyo either. I'm sure he'll keep his disappointment in check somehow with the giant world series ring around his finger. Felipe Lopez strikes out swinging to end the inning. Sometimes I forget whether it's the right or the left side that he sucks hitting from. Oh well.

Reds creep back to within 1 run, which means it's time for Boston to hit another home run.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-28-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Bottom of the 5th now. Marty Brennamen reads an ad for the Reds calendar, stating that Austin Kearns is "Mr. February," which I find funny, since (historically) the best month that Kearns has is the one right before the season starts when everyone says "Man, this HAS to be his year..."

1.) Scott Hatteberg flexes those giant OPS-creating muscles and hits a weak line drive into the outfield for an out. He and Tony Womack pose for a photo in the calendar as "Mr. Anti-OBPs 2006" when he gets back to the dugout. 1 out.

Marty notes that Hee Seop Choi was helped to the dugout with a medical problem. Likely a strained ego, but he should be day-to-day with that.

2.) Brian Buchanan hits a double to the wall, hustling into 2nd and beating a throw. Ryan Freel sues for Scrappiness Infringement, but Jerry Narron tells him he's just too valuable to the club to allow him use of the team attorney. He mutters and steps into the batters box. 1 out, man on 2nd.

CE-I am not worthy.

memo to CE - don't blow all the goodlines early - we got a whole season ahead of us...pace yourself!!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?